SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which meta tags and useful for what?
    HTML Code:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
    is useful, whereas the meta description and meta keywords tag won't help your web pages rank more highly.

I bet it was the description and keywords wasn't it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you are referring to meta description and meta keyword tags. If so then short answer is they are no longer that useful anymore.

However a lot of search engines still use them to some degree including Google - meta description for instance. It doesn't hurt to have them on you page, i just won't spend too much time on them!

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From the Search Engine Optimization FAQ:

Meta Tags

The large majority of search engines do not use Meta Tags as part of their ranking algorithym. The most notable exception is Yahoo which does use them (at least the meta keyword) but it's weight in their algorithym is extremely low and essentially has no influence on a high ranking (it may be useful to jump up you from the 1,000th position or so). Some will claim Google uses Meta tags in its algorithym. This is entirely untrue. Google, however, will use a meta description tag if it is unable to discern a description for a webpage on its own (if the page has no text and no description in the open directory [dmoz] the it is likely Google will use the meta description tag in its SERPs). Please note that it is only using this description in its SERPs, not its algorithym.

Should you use Meta Tags in your site? Yes. They do have some affect in some search engines and even though that effect is almost zero it is still more then zero so is worth the time.

How much time should I spend on my Meta Tags? Ten minutes. Write a nice concise description of your page and throw in a sampling of keywords (which you should have them handy if you've optimized your pages properly). You should spend no more time then this on them. Use your time to promote your site and get quality inbound links.

How many keywords should I use? As many as you want. If you start to think you may have too many, you probably do. This means you need to divide your page into subpages with each one taking its own topic.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    The normal answer I personally think that only a good few are any good like keyword, author, description etc.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Williamson
    The normal answer I personally think that only a good few are any good like keyword, author, description etc.
    How is author good? I have seen pages that have copyright, author, date of dog's birth (sarcasm there)... The point is who sees it? The SEs don't care who authored the page or who owns the copyright. The only META elements you really need are the meta http-equiv, keywords and description. Why muddy up code with a bunch of other junk?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think meta description is still important. In some search engines including google displays this text when my site appears in search results. This means meta keywords doesn't help rank well, but is important to explain about the site in short and in eye-catchy manner so as to attract searchers.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deep_3657
    I think meta description is still important.
    I agree

Keywords I dont put too much weight too but description can still help, MSN also uses that as a factor.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As stated above, the description from a meta description tag is occasionally displayed in the SERPs. But it does not affect your rankings. It's important to understand the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found the meta keywords tag useful for catching low-competition typo searches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use description and keywords. I have seen that pages using them seem to get better indexing and description in the search engines. I have not however seen an increase in serps because of these entries.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    940 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)