SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just starting out- need advice

Hello everyone, the information presented by your articles and posts has saved me alot of time. I am preparing to start up my own company (web design). I do have about 5 questions I would like to have more incite into. If you could spare some time for any of these questions, I would greatly be appreciated. Here they are:

1. How would I go about finding a mentor/advisor without feeling like I would waste their time?

2. What are the fundamental legal components needed for a two-person operated small business?

3. I think the idea of being able to present solid facts and figures to the customer regarding their business is key to gaining both credibility and trust. What are some techniques to analyze the market, apply methods and measure for results?

4. Any advice for managing finances?

Those are the biggies. I really enjoy this site and the forum and plan to use it daily. Thank you again for any advice or any of your time you have given me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. How would I go about finding a mentor/advisor without feeling like I would waste their time?

Think of this forum as a big "mentor". There's really no such thing unless you want to work UNDER or APRENTICE someone.

2. What are the fundamental legal components needed for a two-person operated small business?

Who is going to own the biz? 50/50? 70/30? How and When will each of you get paid? Sole Proprietorship, Partnership or Corporation? This is just general business logic and If you need more explaination then you definitely don't need to be starting your own company.

3. I think the idea of being able to present solid facts and figures to the customer regarding their business is key to gaining both credibility and trust. What are some techniques to analyze the market, apply methods and measure for results?

http://www.google.com <--- the only analysis tool you need

4. Any advice for managing finances?

Don't spend $$$ that you don't have... Make a list of NEEDS and WANTS... then throw the list of WANTS away until you've saved up money that you can part with...

Once I was a Factory Worker goofy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answers
    1. You have come to the right place to find Mentors as you'll find many of them here in a range of different skill sets. From my experience they are very helpful. (Unless you break the rulz)

2. Depends what country you are operating from as the legal issues may differ. My opinion is to start a company if you think you will be turning over a significant amount of money, plus there are some tax incentives in doing so but more paperwork too.

3. Clients look at your past work to determine if they want to do business with you. Then it's up to you to close the deal. I believe in being open and honest with the client , present your proposal and give them your professional opinion based on your experience. If possible show good return on investment from previous client work.

4. Keep the money coming in. Cashflow is so important to keep your business going, and make sure your clients pay on time.
    Goofy
    Life is what you make it!
    Follow your dreams!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hifigrafix
    http://www.google.com <--- the only analysis tool you need
    Ha ha ha. I like that
    Sonic Rise - At the intersection of cars, nappy hair, and life!