SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Australian Federal Election

okay, now first of i would like to say that i know a large majority of this board will have no idea what we are talking about, but i also know that there are a large number of australians here.

okay so here are the questions and points that i would like to raise.

1) who did you think should be prime minister and why?
    2) do you think it was right that kim beasly retired the night of the election?

personaly i thought johny should stay, largly because i dont see gst as that big of a burden, and i think for the large part he has run the country quite well. a case of the better of 2 evils really, but i think johny is probably the closest to a truethfull politician that we have ever had, and costello is excelent when it comes to finance and budgeting and given the current economic climet i didnt think now was the right time to "test" beasley and his boys.

on kim retiring i thought it was a little (not quite sure of words) weak, probably being the best one. given that about 45% of the nation voted for him and his party, to then turn around to them and say i will no longer be standing here for you isnt realy the right thing to do. i dont mind beasley, personaly i think he makes a good oposition leader, i just didnt think he had what it took to make a good national leader, and given his move tonight i am glad that i didnt waste my vote on him.

so whats your 4 aussie cents (bout 2 US cents)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wanted kim beazly to win.... I'm really pissed off that i could't vote....grrrrrrrrrrr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next few years are looking very grim for Australia.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To paraphrase an old song - Go Johnny go!

Actually I'm a Kiwi so it shouldn't matter to me too much one way or the other. I just live here

<edit>
    Just read the description for this sub-forum:
    "The events around us continue to shock and amaze us but they don't break mankind's spirit."
    Yep - that's the federal election all right
    </edit>
    Last edited by hillsy; Nov 10, 2001 at 06:48.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    what makes you think that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the Liberal government got back in.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    Sounds so very familiar....like I said the same thing about the United States in 1992 when Clinton won the presidency....not to take an Australian thread and make it American. Those damn Americans...so wrapped up in themselves!

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was being a tad melodramatic above.

Suffice to say that I was disappointed with the outcome and it's going to be another few years before Australia can fix up some important issues.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, who care's who wins, the GST will stay!

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I STAND FOR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sketch
    Those damn Americans...so wrapped up in themselves!

Sketch
    hahahaha,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ////////////////////////////
    Originally posted by Sketch
    Sounds so very familiar....like I said the same thing about the United States in 1992 when Clinton won the presidency.
    I said the same thing with Bush in 2000... Wow!

////////////////////////////

Contunue on with the Australian politicing, now...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Ian Glass

I said the same thing with Bush in 2000...
    Yeah me too. It's a pity.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hope that the Liberal Party don't consider their win a mandate to continue treating asylum seekers so poorly and uncaringly.
    Last edited by tommatthews; Nov 11, 2001 at 05:21.

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always anti labels in politics, but I am surprised that the party responsible for those policies is considered "liberal". It's been big news here too - can't say I'm to well versed but I understood that a small (I believe 1%) swing from the opinion polls would have changed the gov, but in the end the swing went substantially the other way, right?
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the same thingÖ Then I wondered if, in Australia, Sketch would be a liberalónow thatís funnyÖ

Iím more idiot than savant when it comes to Australian politics, but I canít for the life of me understand why your government is sending away asylum seekers. Isnít the right to asylum a basic human right, not protection from cookies?

Now, Iím not saying there arenít certain circumstances where a government has the responsibility to not take on too much. But, really I donít see that nowÖ No offence to you Australians here, but isnít the continent like moldy bread: green on the outside (where all the life is), and brown in the center (where, well, nothing is). It seems to me that if asylum seekers are that much of a problem, put them in the middle.

I may be missing something though. Who could tell I watched the BBC news last night?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Well, "Liberal" is their name, not their game. They're our main conservative party.

BTW - Illegal boat people landing on our shores has been a problem for a while. Previously they have been detained here on the continent while their cases were researched. The government sent away a recent cargo of illegal boat people. There has been a number of foul-ups in spending, their treatment, as well as simply in the reporting of rumours, and for some reason the rest of the Australian public were in support of the government's handling of the situation.
    Last edited by mmj; Nov 11, 2001 at 23:27.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the government handled it properly it would be fine.
    These refugees need a place to live which is better than where they have come from. Australia has a lot of spare land, but I still wonder why they all want to come here

Still, we shouldn't have to provide shelter, food, care for thousands of people whom simply put strain on our economy. Perhaps money could be put towards the governments of these people by the aust. government to better the conditions.

I see that they are discussing paying the Fijian (sp.?) government 20million to take these people.

A few people at a time is alright, but thousands all at once it too much IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problems that australia face with boat people are quite similar to the ones that america faces with "Illegal Aliens" or better knowen as mexicans jumping the border.

Australia is in the middle on nowhere, yet these people risk there life getting here when there are plenty of other "safe" countries alot closer to were they are.

the main reasons for them wanting to come here is that Australia`s legal system is crap at protecting itself. If an illegal imigrant is to be deported then the australian taxpayers have to pay for the imigrants legal costs when they inevitably take the govenment to court, in the mean time we provide food, shelter, medical, legal and recreational needs to these illegal imigrants, keep in mind that Australia only has a population of 20Million, yes we are a large continent, with a small population but at the moment we can afford to keep paying for these people, when they come in through the backdoor, Australia is quite liberal when accepting refugees that go through the proper channels in getting to australia.

The problem is really that many of the so called "refugees" arent really escaping from anything, they are simply looking for an easy way into australia,

australian law also means that if we let 1 refugee into the country, his wife, children, brother, mother and other relatives can come to australia with great ease, further extending the financial burden when they claim unemployment, medicare and all the other freebies that any australian gets.

boat people arent the only ones that are abusing australias freebies, the pension is a major drawcard for the UK`s oldies to come over to australia, and dont even get me started on the kiwi`s... Australia is generouse to those that live here.. thats why they all want to be here, problem is we cant afford to keep them all here.

Now, Iím not saying there arenít certain circumstances where a government has the responsibility to not take on too much. But, really I donít see that nowÖ No offence to you Australians here, but isnít the continent like moldy bread: green on the outside (where all the life is), and brown in the center (where, well, nothing is). It seems to me that if asylum seekers are that much of a problem, put them in the middle.
    the problem with putting them in the center (were nothing is) is that there is nothing there.... its desert! they wouldnt last very long there, and then we still have to provide them with all the things i mentioned above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my fears were confirmed by John Howard this morning when he said that winning the election meant that Australians agreed with his handling of the Asylum Seekers.

I really don't see the difference between processing them on Australian soil and paying some little island country millions of dollars to do it.

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I canít for the life of me understand why your government is sending away asylum seekers.
    If the united states would do this maybe we would cut down on illegal immigration. Humankind does not have the "right" to enter a free society like the US, Canada, Great Britain or Australia. It is not a "right". These places are nations, not some utopia. Since these places are nations they have sovereign governments and it is only natural for the governments to put laws into place that implement procedures and policies for allowing other foreigners in. If we had been enforcing our policies with one of our biggest friends and partners, Canada, 11 of 20 terrorist hijackers wouldn't have had free access to our country. Now logistically, enforcing INS laws over a 5000+ mile border is difficult, but still....

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor