SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple client-side gallery ideas?

I want to update my photo gallery website. Right now you just click on a thumbnail and it links directly to the JPEG image all by itself, which is lame.

I want to display the image in a frame with a color chosen for that image, with a caption. Since my images are fairly large (~650px) it should probably be in a new window, but hopefully the user can just hit the "back" button to get back to the thumbnails.

I want to do it with only client-side code - HTML, CSS, and Javascript. I don't want to have to program and debug server-side stuff like PHP or Java (.jsp's).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plnelson
    I want to do it with only client-side code - HTML, CSS, and Javascript. I don't want to have to program and debug server-side stuff like PHP or Java (.jsp's).
    Have a look at Lightbox or Thickbox . I've also used Slideshowpro on several occasions even though I generally do not like to use Flash. For a pure CSS solution have a look at CSS Play.
    Just my 2 cents...
    Peace,
    e-man

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by e-man
    Have a look at Lightbox or Thickbox . I've also used Slideshowpro on several occasions even though I generally do not like to use Flash. For a pure CSS solution have a look at CSS Play.
    Just my 2 cents...
    OK, thanks, these seem good. What do other people suggest?

Also I was also kind of hoping for some suggestions on writing my own, and not just using a canned solution. What are some good architectural strategies? What are the pro's and cons of displaying the images in a new browser window, a popup, a frame in the existing window, etc. What are pitfalls to avoid that more experienced CSS/JS coders have already discovered in writing gallery pages, etc?