SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bad link behavior

Hi folks,
    If you go to sportswestreno.com you will see that I have a navigation
    menu under the header, and another navigation menu to the left. the links in the left menu work fine, they change color on hover and work when clicked anywhere on the buttons. the menu under the header however is a different story. they don't work unless you place your curser right on the top edge of the button. I have tried changing a bunch of things to no avail. this site is still very much in progress, but I put it up there so that I might be able to get some advice!

the other big problem (really big) is that my site degrades completely in IE 5.5 mac and IE6 pc. Firefox,(and netscape) safari and opera all work fine.

thanks for reading! rooster

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first thing i have to say which is not related at all is that if you are going to have an image on the home page do NOT have one that is 725.04 kB large....everyone will leave and anyone who is on a 56k modem will never see it unless they wait 20 min...

In regards to your other problem the links at teh top actually work in ie 6 which to me seems like it could be a box problem (dont hold me to this as i as i make faults too) its a ff specific problem.

Sorry i cannot be of more help...but fix that image!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try adding position: relative; z-index: 1 to .nav-main ul.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I keep forgetting about the ol z-index, it worked great.
    thanks also for the advice regarding the image on the homepage. My connection is quite good, so I often forget that a large image takes too long to download, though I became aware of this the other day when I was looking at it on another slower connection. I will work to remedy this problem,

thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.