SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

jbm
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I am having trouble with layers in Netscape: browser crashes when I try to preview the pages. I was about half way done with the page when this came up. Does anybody know what the problem might be? Is this a common thing or am I missing something in my code?

Thanks,
    jbm

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can't help you if we can't look at the code. If I were you though I would stay away from the LAYER and ILAYER tags in Netscape 4.X. Not only does the HTML 4.0 spec not support them neither will Navigator 5+. If you really need the layers then you should use absolutely positioned DIV's to do that for you. These work the same as layers and are cross-browser compatible. Best of all they will work in Navigator 5+ (which should have a public beta soon), that means you won't have to rebuild your site like the thousands out there that have used the proprietary LAYER and ILAYER tags.

Post the code and we can look at it to see if your doing something wrong. I don't use Navigator too much because it has a large problem with crashes. I can't even load a stock HTML page half the time with 4.7 though 4.61 seems to be fairly stable and only crashes about 10% of the time. That said I will be willing to look at your code to see if it is correct.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

jbm
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Thank you for quick reply. I have ~100 lines of code, I dont think I should post it here, and I do not have a place to upload it to yet (switching hosting companies). Can I e-mail it to you?

Thanks,
    jbm

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure you can email it to me at the address listed in my profile.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.