SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Massimiliano Bruno Giordano sid egg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Criteria for Google News.

I have gotten a site in to Google News in the past, and now comes the time that I want to do it again. I've tried a few times since the first one, and most of the itme been rejected, I believe this was due to submitting too early.

So what I'm looking to do is map out a set of broad criteria for getting in to Google News

I'm thinking sites must be more than 1 month old (and have content for that period of time, how much content I'm not sure), publish content of fairly high quality regularly (again, how regularly, I'm not sure, and may depend on the market). I imagine the amount of saturation their news database has is taken in to account as well.

Any contributions?
    GamesLib.com - the slickest, most complete and
    easily navigatible flash games site on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotten several sites accepted as Google News sources. I've found once you have one, it's pretty easy. Be sure to mention that your other site is already a Google News source. You sort of already have a track record with them you should be leveraging.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are there any site-building guidelines to get into Google News (or Yahoo news for that matter)?

I, too, am interested in getting my site in Google News. However, I'm curious as to how the Google News Bot retrieves headlines. I read here on Sitepoint that if you don't do the headline in a certain way, Googlebot won't be able to find it and thus won't include you in their news results.

I plan to have a headline linking to a longer version of the story with a summary underneath. Will this be acceptable to Google?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They give more priority to a source which have highest credibility and traffic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude
    I read here on Sitepoint that if you don't do the headline in a certain way, Googlebot won't be able to find it and thus won't include you in their news results.
    You need to have at least a unique three digits in your URL. For example, news.yoursite.com/123.htm or news.yoursite.com/123/ is okay, but news.yoursite.com/12.htm is not...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone
    You need to have at least a unique three digits in your URL. For example, news.yoursite.com/123.htm or news.yoursite.com/123/ is okay, but news.yoursite.com/12.htm is not...
    Interesting...thanks for the information.

I wonder why that is? Some sort of code for the Google News bot?

Massimiliano Bruno Giordano sid egg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rejected again.

Getting the first site in was so easy, they seem to reject everything now.
    GamesLib.com - the slickest, most complete and
    easily navigatible flash games site on the web.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried and was told they didn't accept blogs, if I recall.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of their rules is that they don't accept single-author sites, which rules out a lot of blogs. I've worked in journalism for a lot of years, but can't get my newsblogs listed in Google News because of this. It's annoying, because there are lots of crappy sites with multiple authors that get listed.
    RichM
    Data Center Knowledge
    Daily news and analysis of the data center sector

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried three times.

The first one was for a web development product reviews site (not a blog). Multiple authors. Mostly original content. Was rejected because it wasn't spiderable. News article URLs must have at least 3 digits. Mine had 2.

The second one (my best chance, I felt), was a blog with multiple authors. Mostly original content. They said they they "cannot add it to
    Google News because we currently only include sites with news articles
    that report on recent events." But, that's not true. Most of our reporting is recent events, so I e-mailed them back and cited another blog close to mine that was listed. They said they revisited mine but it was a no. They said they'd look into the other one. About a year later, that one is still listed.

The third one was a single author blog. Not much original content. Basically a link blog. Rejected without reason.

So, I can't get anything in there. Maybe one day.