SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS Sitepoint books

I am looking to purchase one of the CSS books from Sitepoint.

I am a web designer and do have alot of experience making websites (so im not a beginner) but i want to get on top of this quick smart by making websites using CSS where i have previously used tables.

I want to be able to make 1,2,and 3 column sites (maybe even 4 if need be) but i also want to be able to make custom looking original sites.

i want to be able to make horizontal and vertical menus in CSS, not just using text and background/border colours, but using images too (i think the term is css sliding doors).

I want to be able to make pages that are fixed in width and height, abd also pages that expand to fill up the width and height of the browser window.

i also want to make sites that a compatible with many browsers, and be able to properly do image replacement techniques for banner graphics etc.

I am looking at either of these two books: The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks
    OR: HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS, 2nd Edition

Before i make the purchase i want to know which book will best meet my needs.
    Thanks

Carpe Diem = Fish of the Day fisherboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO get HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS, 2nd Edition.

I have both and refer to both on occasions but more so 2nd edition (at least at the moment). The main reason for this is that I prefer not to mess about with Netscape 4 hacks and compatibility, in fact I don't even worry about IE5 any more either.

Also, to get a start on your varying layouts and build up your expertise, visit Paul O'B's site and copy and play with his layouts. Use what you learn from the book to change and experiment. You will be well on your way towards meeting the goals you have outlined above.

Hope this helps!!
    fisherboy
    Web Site Design

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

The Paul O's site is very cool. its has alot of explanations that are really necessary.

Also, you said

I prefer not to mess about with Netscape 4 hacks and compatibility, in fact I don't even worry about IE5 any more either.
    Why dont you mess around with these hacks - are they now out of date browsers we shouldnt worry about?

I will probably by the HTML Utopia book now, thanks for the advice. i bought the "build you website the right way using html and css" but found it more for 'beginners'. hopefully the utopia book witll be better. thanks again!

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Before i make the purchase i want to know which book will best meet my needs.
    I doubt that any one book will fill your needs as you mention a range of topics that you are interested in. Many of those topics can already be found on the net (google) or here already in the forums (forum search).

The sitebooks are good and if you search the forums you will also find many other similar requests which may help with your choice.

I like Eric Meyers Cascading Style Sheets "The Definitive Guide" second edition but it is not really aimed at beginners and is more a reference book. Any of eric Meyers books are usually good value.

i want to be able to make horizontal and vertical menus in CSS, not just using text and background/border colours, but using images too (i think the term is css sliding doors).
    Well the list apart article that you mention (sliding doors) does explain how to do this in detail so you should check out the list apart site and sites like position is everything for many bug fixes.

Also read the faq here as they explain many of the problems you will encounter and then read the faq tips as there are many good resources in there.

That should keep you busy for a while - no shortcuts i'm afraid

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know this is off topic but Ive actually implemented a working horizontal sliding doors menu but havent had luck with vertical. because rather than just do backgrounds and add text i want to have graphic image menu buttons with rollover effects.

thanks for your post ill make sure to check out the links.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    because rather than just do backgrounds and add text i want to have graphic image menu buttons with rollover effects.
    Shouldn't be a problem If you need help just post in the forum and someone will sort you out. Vertical menus are quite easy to do once you get the hang of it

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you have a link for a good vertical CSS image-button menu ? if not thats ok

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers.

Ive also been checking out some of Eric Meyers sites and books. very cool. might invest in one of them instead.

Thanks again!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, i have given the vertical sliding doors a crack here http://www.mitchellpage.com.au/temp/style/ but it doesnt seem to work at all. i followed the 'a list apart' horizontal sprite sliding door tute (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sprites/) and modified it for vertical but ive done something wrong. can anyone spot why this doesnt work. zip here (http://www.mitchellpage.com.au/temp/style/testr.zip)

thanks

Carpe Diem = Fish of the Day fisherboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mitcho
    Hi, i have given the vertical sliding doors a crack here http://www.mitchellpage.com.au/temp/style/ but it doesnt seem to work at all. i followed the 'a list apart' horizontal sprite sliding door tute (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sprites/) and modified it for vertical but ive done something wrong. can anyone spot why this doesnt work. zip here (http://www.mitchellpage.com.au/temp/style/testr.zip)

thanks
    I think you will need to post this as a new thread.
    fisherboy
    Web Site Design

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mitcho
    Why dont you mess around with these hacks - are they now out of date browsers we shouldnt worry about?
    I still style for IE5+, but I doubt very many cater for v4 browsers any more.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)