SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

carpal tunnel syndrome

Anybody have it? Is there any non-surgical home remedy for it? The reason is...I think I might have it...or at least the beginning stages of it. My hands and joints have been aching the past 3 weeks or so. I don't have great "form" in typing...although I'm fast.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know of any other remedies for it other than surgery, would be nice though.

I'm pretty sure i've got it and probably have had it for a while now.
    Whenever i'm typing I usually have to stop every few minutes and rotate the wrists or something until it stops bothering me.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then stop typing, Sketch! This is kinda weird: “I think I may have a disease from typing too much—I know what I’ll do—I’ll engage in an activity that requires a lot of typing, like posting my woes on the Internet!” What the hell are you thinking? At least get ViaVoice or something…

In all seriousness, it may be beneficial to cut down on the amount of typing you do. Ergonomic keyboards and mouses may help, too. Always remember to take regular breaks—something on the order of 5 or 10 min for every hour. Good posture always helps, too. And, believe it or not stretching your arms and hands is supposed to help, too, I think.

http://www.co.broward.fl.us/mei00206.htm

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Ian Glass
    Always remember to take regular breaks—something on the order of 5 or 10 min for every hour.
    What's that? take a break every 5 to 10 minutes? Okay! Could you write a note for me to give to my boss explaining that diagnoisis?

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the special "split" keyboards. It'll take you maybe a day at max to get used to, however once you do you'll be back at full typing speed and helping your hands at the same time!
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I always use those gel pads for my mousepad to protect my wrist, you might want to look into those. But the best treatment is to take breaks! Yes, I know it must be difficult, but this is your health!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sketch, here's something I figured out: When I'm *reading* a webpage I realized that I was still keeping my hands on the mouse and/or keyboard. If you take your hands off the keys and mouse *when reading* this will give your wrists a big break. If you are holding the mouse while reading, your hand (and wrist) are still tense. Obviously, when you need to scroll, you grab the mouse again. It sounds simple, but it helped me a lot.

If you are typing tons of pages into a database, then you could take a small break (30 seconds) here and there for your hands. Make circles with them, stretch a bit.

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good stretch to do is this:
    - put the palms of your hands together (like you're praying) and make 90 degree angles between your hands and your forearms: ____||____
    - While maintaining the 90 degree angles, push with one hand to one side. You should feel a huge stretch through your wrist and forearm.
    - Repeat pushing with your other hand to the other side.

EX. PUSH--->____||____ <--(this side feels the stretch)

While we're on the topic, does anyone know if staring at a computer screen too long is bad for your eyes? I mean, staring at book isn't, but is it different with a computer screen?
    Last edited by Adam P.; Nov 9, 2001 at 21:26.
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link:

http://www.inforamp.net/~poynton/not...ing_eyestrain/

I miss my old LCD screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had pretty bad problems off and on since last march. I had the test done for carpal tunnel and it came back negative, so what you have may not be CTS specifically - could be tendonitis or something similar. I've heard really bad things about the surgery...

One thing that really helps me is to stretch. I found a list of stretches to do on a website somewhere... don't remember where (swimm5001's description was one of them), and do those for half an hour every day. Getting regular exercise helps too. Basically just do anything you can to stretch out your hands/wrists/arms/shoulders.

I actually had some ergonomics experts come in here at work to fix up my desk area. You might want to look into ergonomics - there are sites out there describing the correct position of computer - it can make a difference. Gel pads help a little bit too.
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums