User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya,

I'm a first time caller, first time listener.

Ok, I'm trying to be a good 'lil webmaster, have a few clients, but I have this teensy-weensy problem. What are you supposed to do about resolutions?

Personally, I try to design for 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768. My current client, Metrolina Paintball ( http://www.metrolinapaintball.com/ ) has a owner who is a die-hard 1024 x 768 fan, and wanted the super-cool 800 x 600 and up compatable layout I made to be centeted in his browser window, like yahoo looks in 1024 x 768.

Note, my current res is 1024 x 768.

In the past I've made 800 x 600 layouts and left them aligned to the left, and they looked moderatly good in all resolutions above 800 x 600. I now realize I cannot continue to operate this way.

I've put a band-aid on the problem by having a small java applet on the front page that redirected you to the appropriate resolution site version. But this is annoying as there is this unnessassary load time when you go to the site. Plus it means when I update I have to edit two versions of whatever it is I'm updating. I use DHTML absolute positioning (with the -div- stuff) exclusively now to give my pages a professional look (at least as much of a look as I can), but of course this means I position to the left as well. Which of course doesn't work with all resolutions in the correct way.

My question is. How do these sites manage to look good in both 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768, with no apperent page redirection? I've even opened up a 800 x 600 netscape window on my 1024 x 768 display, and all these urls look great in both, either by centering themselves in the middle of the screen (i. e. http://www.yahoo.com/ ), or by stretching to fill the whole window flawlessly (i. e. http://www.dvdexpress.com/ ). I have a hard time believing all these sites don't use some sort of layer positioning, especially dvdexpress. Please, if anyone understnds what I'm talking about please help.

Thanks,

Bo Bankson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some site will use a % base rather than a pixel base in tables. i personally use a combination of the 2. but most "die hard coders" rely on the pixel version et al.

as for building for both resolution % is the easy way out but you might encounter formating problems.

i'm not a CSS guy so i couldn't really tell you how to do anything there. the best thing you can do is design for 8x6. most 1024x768 users are used to the middle formated page or a left margined page with dead space to the right. i personally go for the centered version.

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On your 800 X 600 pages just surround the entire content with:

<center><div align=center>
    ~~~~~~~~CONTENT HERE~~~~~~~~~~~
    </div></center>

Then they will look like yahoo.com and other sites. The <center> tag is for backwards compatibility and netscape 4.x whereas the <DIV> tag will handle Internet Explorer 4+, Navigator 5+ and any other browser compatible with HTML 4.0 and the upcoming XHTML 1.0 standard.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget about 640X480 resolutions! They still make-up a large precent of the surfers and possible customers for your clients. The simple and safe way is to put everything in 600 pixel wide table.