7 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford vs. Holden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford vs. Holden

Okay, here is YOUR chance to vote which one is better.... if you dont know what a Holden is... then just vote for it anyway
    I'll post some pictures of some cars sometime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted for Ford, although I drive a VN Commodore (Holden) which goes great!

It depends what you are judging them on. Ford wins for quality, long lasting, tougher (as in harder to break), while Holden wins for range of performance cars (HSV!).

I am of course comparing Commodore's and Falcon's. Comparing their other cars is a whole different ball game.

When it comes to V8 Supercars, even though they bear VERY little resemblance to their roadworthy counterparts (They both use Chevy engines I understand), I gotta go for Ford once again. I guess I like going for the underdog!
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Italian cars but have had a few Falcons.

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holdens rule, though remember they are in effect owned by an American company like Ford too if I am right... probably not...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and if ya don't know what a Holden is, visit www.holden.com.au

There can be only One.... joelwills's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holden is General Motors aka Vauxhall in the UK.

As a notice says in my office "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden"
    Life Goggles - The Entertaining Environment Blog
    http://www.lifegoggles.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ford all the way....

pfft platinum, i see that holden has 33%... hmm that would mean ford has owww 66%

p.s: comparing HSV models to the XR8 isnt really all that fair, you have to remember the T-series, and also the price of a HSV and an XR8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holden

Holden would whip any ford any day (any where).

HOLDEN

yuri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by iTec
    ford all the way....

pfft platinum, i see that holden has 33%... hmm that would mean ford has owww 66%

p.s: comparing HSV models to the XR8 isnt really all that fair, you have to remember the T-series, and also the price of a HSV and an XR8
    Wow must be a first...a ford supporter that can do maths (even though 33 and 66 doesnt add to 100)...cause generally if they can do maths they look at the stats and decide ford sucks holden dominates and Mark Skaife is a legend!
    If i am not mistaken the holdens rely very heavily on the chevy engine technology. You can buy a commodore with a 5.7lt chevy cant you? And most of the production holdens are based on chevy blocks...

The anologies for ford do make alot of sense...
    Found On Rubbish Dumps
    Fix Or Repair Daily
    Fu**** Old Rusty Dump
    etc etc (thats the only ones i can remember at 2am)

</end emotional anti-ford rant>
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, it isn't much good forming your opinion of Ford or Holden on the V8 Supercars as I said above. They are totally different to road versions, and one of the only things which is the same is the body shape. It has so much to do with drivers and team money in that sport. As you say Mark Skaif is a great driver. Put that with a factory Holden team pumping big bucks in and you have a winner!!.

As I said earlier, I think both Ford and Holden run Chevy engines in the V8 Supercars.

The Aussie V8's is one of my favourite sports to watch.

My VN (1990) Commodore runs a 3.8L V6 Buick engine which goes fairly hard, especially for its age.

Fix Or Repair Daily
    Sounds like my Holden. I have spent so much money fixing this thing!
    - Respray (Holden used dodgy acrylic paint on all commodores up until VS model!!)
    - Power stearing rack
    - Ignition control module
    - Radiator
    - Water pump
    - Transmission
    - Power stearing pump
    - Fuel pump

just to name a few!!
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not a aussie but i know what a Holden is... my father had one and i thought it was great because it had so much more space and legroom at the back...

but it had many maintenance problems though... probably cos it was 2nd hand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Wilmot
    My VN (1990) Commodore runs a 3.8L V6 Buick engine which goes fairly hard, especially for its age.

- Respray (Holden used dodgy acrylic paint on all commodores up until VS model!!)
    - Power stearing rack
    - Radiator
    - Water pump
    - Transmission
    - Power stearing pump
    - Fuel pump

just to name a few!!
    Do you race it or is it just for general driving?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wilmot the fords run a ford block and heads, the holdens run the chevy gen 3 engine, hence why holden racing has been complaining about wanting to change the head away from the factory fitted (wich it stipulates in the rules) to an aftermarket version, because the heads on the ford engine allow for better air intake. they are most definatly not powered by a holden peice of crap. however i do agree with you on not basing it on the V8 supercar series (even tho ford has done a hell of alot better this year)
    as you said it depends highly on team financing and this is one area were ford has sucked hard over the last 10 or so years, they basically cut all strings with the supercar series and the teams that were running fords were heavily penalised by this reason (hence holdens complete domination over the last 10 years.)

the major change in this area was with the introduction of the ford AU, were ford actually consulted the teams during the design of the car, in the hope of getting both a) better on road performance and b) being able to build a better quality race car that would be able to out perform the holden.

and Mad-onion, who was a ledgend last year??? hmm lowndes? hmm who may i ask does he drive for now? ohhhh a big blue oval!! you can say he sucked this season blah blah but give both him and gibson motorsport a little time to develope the car and they will be kicking hrt ***! thats a gaurantee.

There can be only One.... joelwills's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't seriously judge a manufacturer on the basis of how well it does in racing. Jaguar's are much better cars (now that they've got over their '80's problems) than either Mercedes (who have terrible quality problems) and BMW, both who are much better at Formula 1.

The long and the short of it is that people prefer different cars, and people always know someone who's had a bad Ford/Holden so it's always subjective.

I'm biased because of who I've worked for I admit it, but I had a brand new Vauxhall courtesy car last month, and it was the biggest pile of cr*p I've ever driven. Then again my friend owns one, and thinks it's great.

C'est la vie
    Life Goggles - The Entertaining Environment Blog
    http://www.lifegoggles.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, it isn't much good forming your opinion of Ford or Holden on the V8 Supercars as I said above. They are totally different to road versions, and one of the only things which is the same is the body shape. It has so much to do with drivers and team money in that sport. As you say Mark Skaif is a great driver. Put that with a factory Holden team pumping big bucks in and you have a winner!!.
    Ive not formed opinions based on the races, from experiences with both holdens and fords i have decided that holden are making a better car than ford! Atleast at the v8 end of their models.
    Granted V8 supercar racing is not a good gauge of a v8's quality. However we can look to the NZ touring car series where holden has been dominating over ford since i can remember, now those cars are not seriously modified.

- Power stearing rack
    - Radiator
    - Water pump
    - Transmission
    - Power stearing pump
    - Fuel pump

just to name a few!!
    What does it have on the clock? I am imagining at least 150K probably much more...

But this argument could go on for years (and it does ), V8 supercar racing wouldnt be so popular if it didnt exploit this! Its really like comparing black and blue...so which is better black or blue?!
    Another interesting question is why do you feel holden is better than ford or vice versa?

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have no idea what a Holden is, but I'll vote for anyone against Ford.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wilmot the fords run a ford block and heads, the holdens run the chevy gen 3 engine, hence why holden racing has been complaining about wanting to change the head away from the factory fitted (wich it stipulates in the rules) to an aftermarket version, because the heads on the ford engine allow for better air intake. they are most definatly not powered by a holden peice of crap.
    Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't entirly sure. Some changes in regulations for the undercarraige of the cars were made to even up the competition recently too.

and Mad-onion, who was a ledgend last year??? hmm lowndes? hmm who may i ask does he drive for now? ohhhh a big blue oval!! you can say he sucked this season blah blah but give both him and gibson motorsport a little time to develope the car and they will be kicking hrt ***! thats a gaurantee.
    I agree totally. Lowndes is a great driver, I'm sure they'll be up there soon.

Jason Bright was going well with Stone Brothers Racing before he went off the the US to race Indy Lights. Now he's back racing for HRT again

Do you race it or is it just for general driving?
    Just general driving, although I have made some minor modefications to it (extractors, high flow cat, sports exhaust, cold air intake). Those problems I mentioned are very common on VN's. Just about everyone I know with VN's has had simmilar problems.

What does it have on the clock? I am imagining at least 150K probably much more...
    Yep, 190K. Hopefully I've worked through most of the common problems now .
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted holden simply cause I hate ford with all my being.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, 190K. Hopefully I've worked through most of the common problems now .
    Yeah well if anyone can give me an example of a model of petrol car (earlier than say '96/'97) that would consistently run into the 200K range without having some serious moolah forked out i'll be suprised

And lowndes, well....lets not talk about that :P Most people (myself most definately included) have deeper running opinions on lowndes than on the holden/ford front! And i wont voice my opinions on him here because doing so would probably get me banned! Granted however he does have considerable talent as a race car driver...

I still think that Skaife is the Schumacher of the supercars. Although im sure we could argue that Schumacher is not the greatest driver in F1...and Carlos Sainz could be argued as being the greatest rally car driver...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad luck, looks like 50 / 50.... dammm.

Right, lets review.

Anyone seen the stock V8 utes racing (falcon vs. commodore). Hmmmmm which certain company's lazy windsor engine puts out like half the power of the chev 5.7L ? hehe. Holden had to whack this big plug in their air intake just to even it up a bit - and still won.

It has been said that FORD stands for 'First On Race Day' - only because they are still their from the last one (more like Fu**ed On Race Day)

Anyway anyone ever had a commodore/falcon drag?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mad-onion

Yeah well if anyone can give me an example of a model of petrol car (earlier than say '96/'97) that would consistently run into the 200K range without having some serious moolah forked out i'll be suprised
    You shold see my 1979 toyota corona..... nothing has gone wrong with that yet... (well nothing not caused directly my me)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by platinum

You shold see my 1979 toyota corona..... nothing has gone wrong with that yet... (well nothing not caused directly my me)
    Perhaps i should have said performance car

Who knows what was done to the corona before you got it though...and it might have been driver once a week by an old lady or something...my cousin drives an '84 corona (i think its 84, somewhere around there anyway) and shes had the mother load of problems with it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And lowndes, well....lets not talk about that :P Most people (myself most definately included) have deeper running opinions on lowndes than on the holden/ford front! And i wont voice my opinions on him here because doing so would probably get me banned!
    I'd be interested in hearing your opinions. Maybe you have heard something I haven't.

Email or private message them to me if they wouldn't be acceptable here
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions. Maybe you have heard something I haven't.

Email or private message them to me if they wouldn't be acceptable here
    I just dont have a very high opinion of him mainly with respect to the whole fiasco with HRT and Skaife...

ALSO ISNT IT GREAT! SKAIFIE IS CHAMPION AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that his 4th or 5th time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think lowndes should have bothered swapping... the holden/ford supercar racing is almost exactly even these days, even though holden *could* be better. I understand that he did it mainly for the money, oh well he lost many of his holden fans by doing it.

Has anyone noticed the cool green headlights in his new car? i like them But what i liked even more was when he crashed into the wall right after, hehe