SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question about 'em'

I'd like to know more about using ems in my styles. I know they are a unit of measurement, and I gather that they are good to use when you want pages to resize nicely in browsers. But I'd also like to know lots more, like... how big is an em? What are the advantages/disadvantages of using ems?

I also feel like I'm in the position of "you don't know what you don't know" about ems, so if you'd just like to go on about them in any other respect, I'm happy to read it

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An em is equal to the size of the current font. So everything is relative to whatever the current font is. 1.2em is 1.2 times bigger than whatever you have it set at at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion about em is don't use em, they are more of a hassle than a benefit in my opinion. Every browser Ive used (FireFox, IE, K-Meleon, and Opera) all resize PX fonts if you increase font size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostseed
    My suggestion about em is don't use em, they are more of a hassle than a benefit in my opinion. Every browser Ive used (FireFox, IE, K-Meleon, and Opera) all resize PX fonts if you increase font size.
    Thanks LostSeed. I wasn't sure that IE resized pixels. I thought it did but then I kept reading that it didn't and pixels were bad to use because they didn't resize. I wondered if it was more a matter of IE users not knowing *how* to change the the font size in their browser. I do prefer them though. So it's really good to know pixel sizing works in all those browsers.

I laughed at the pun too!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xor
    Thanks LostSeed. I wasn't sure that IE resized pixels. I thought it did but then I kept reading that it didn't and pixels were bad to use because they didn't resize. I wondered if it was more a matter of IE users not knowing *how* to change the the font size in their browser. I do prefer them though. So it's really good to know pixel sizing works in all those browsers.
    I'm afraid I have to differ with LostSeed. Set your font-size in % on the body and then scale with either ems or % and you can achieve similar results cross browser. Ems may take a bit more getting used to when used for setting dimensions on elements but it's like any aspect of CSS, once you've got a handle on it, it's not a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen
    ...Set your font-size in % on the body...
    Ok... maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if I set the font-size in % in the body how do I set the base font size? It seems like the font-size will then be that set by the browser... often it's something like 16pt by default. But then it's really hard to know what the user is seeing?

And setting in the body... is that body within the HTML or body style within the .css?

So do you have different stylesheets for different browsers/platforms in order to get the % or em scaling to be similar between different configurations?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xor
    So do you have different stylesheets for different browsers/platforms in order to get the % or em scaling to be similar between different configurations?
    No, like I said, do something like this:

Code:
    body { font: 62.5%/150% verdana .... }
    (second number is for line-height) and you'll end up with fairly consistent results across all browsers and then you size the rest of your text up and down using either ems or %. I don't always use 62.5% but with the default font size being about 16px, it brings it back down to 10px which then makes 1em equal to 10px (useful if you're one of those who likes incrementing in 5 or 10).

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion about em is don't use em, they are more of a hassle than a benefit in my opinion.
    That's a very unhelpful suggestion. Using em (or %) is essential for scalable web design.

Every browser Ive used (FireFox, IE, K-Meleon, and Opera) all resize PX fonts if you increase font size.
    The only way to make IE scale pixel-sized text is if you delve deep into the Options dialog hierarchy and find the right checkbox to tick. By default, IE/Win – easily the most used browser on the 'Net today – does not scale px-sized text.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, thanks Tyssen. Now I get it.