SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keyword research

Let's say If someone was launching a site industry specific . How would one go about determining, on the keyword research side, how big (or small) the "tail" of the search terms in that industry are?

Basically, looking for a methodology to measure the value of being listed in the top for a few, hig volume search terms in the head vs. the value of having rankings for the thousands of smaller terms making up the tail. Other than simply using intuition and logic, one can't seem to think of a good way to do it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would target 3 - 5 keywords per page depending on what the content is also if you are not experienced with SEO or ranking sites I would use a tool like overature's keyword suggestion tool type in the main most generic keyword or keyword phrase for the site and then when it gives you the list of alternate possiblilities go a little down the list and choose 3 - 5 of them as the ones further down the list are generally less competative and easier to rank for. Also ranking for 3 - 5 less competative keywords is not only easier and less time consuming but the combined traffic from all those keywords could be equal to if not greater than that one single generic keyword.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Overture Keyword Suggestion Tool
    Google Trends

These will help you find good keywords and see how popular they are relative to each other in terms of popularity.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Overture Keyword Suggestion Tool
    Google Trends

These will help you find good keywords and see how popular they are relative to each other in terms of popularity.
    Stymiee, I have one question. I saw you posted link to Google trends. But they aren't out of the lab and I faced some difficulties with it. Google trends is ok for more famous keywords. But try 'forex trading system' and it gives no use at all. And being frank 'forex trading system' is quite famous, enjoys significant popularity and many big forex companies and brokers search for it.

Am I doing something wrong with Google trends? Do I have to be logged in to my Google account for Google trends to work properly then?
    !BEST BARGAIN! - 100% Free Link Exchange Script
    Isn't it better @ zero cost to use the tool
    which is better than $90+ solutions?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Google trends isn't shopping any results for search phrase then it gets very little traffic. That is usually an indicator that it isn't worth optimizing for. At least your main pages anyway.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't hurt to optimize for a page or two, but stymiee's right in that you shouldn't put too much effort into a keyword/phrase that will hardly get you traffic (unless you know of an industry standard key phrase that could be popular in the future that's just on the verge of becoming heavily trafficked).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    To approach an "industry," I'd want to get a look at what works for
    that industry's longer standing niche publications. What concerns
    re-surface regularly? Are they adequately addressed? Would these concerns be of more interest to customers or colleagues?

Would it be helpful to look at how a customer hears about and chooses
    who to hire or buy from?
    silvermoon