User Tag List

Thread: Clean Up CSS

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clean Up CSS

Hope this is not too much to ask but I would be eternaly grateful if someone gave me some advice.

Basicaly Im working on a page and Im unhappy with some parts of the CSS basicaly the way things work, I feel its messy in parts and also the IE box model knocks off some of my design slighty.

If anyone would be so kind to have a look at my page and suggest some changes to clean up the code a bit and fix the differences in IE etc?

This will not only help me fix the page but it will also help me learn a bit more and hopefuly I can help myself and others in future

http://www.matt-adamson.com/devsites/v5/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FFS, what box-model issues? As long as the proper DOCTYPE + nothing above it is used, IE6+ uses the right box model.

By providing a link and telling us "something is wrong, etc, etc", do you really expect answers/solutions to come rushing in?

Good luck.

Tip: Be specific with your issues.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I expected someone might feel like giving me a hand to learn a bit more about what Im doing wrong, I cant point something out if Im not exactly sure what it is Im not doing properly

So tell me then have I specified the wrong doctype because if you check FF to IE the size differs.

I dont see your problem to be totaly honest it just sounds rude and unhelpful and if I hadnt spoken to people here before who have been helpful and nice towards me I would be leaving right now.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before going any further I'd suggest you read the link in Egor's sig and the other one at the top of the HTML forum about XHTML 1.0 v 1.1 because you've got the wrong doctype.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks for actualy telling me something to help. Ive changed my doctype to 1.0 rather then 1.1 still I have my layout changing sizes in IE and FF. Its not much but the boxes and alignment shift slightly on most aspects of it :S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll probably need to add display: inline to #navtop li to counter the IE double margin bug (affects adjacent floats), but if you want two lines of list items, you'll probably need to use two separate <ul>s.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks Ill have a look into it, the only problem with two UL is that Im going to eventualy generate the list items using php, Ill either have to find a work around or do it manualy.

Is this what is knocking the right hand side bars too yeh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure exactly. You're probably better using a right border in the CSS instead of a | in your HTML.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive stuck in the right border instead, I might scrap that part all together because it doesnt look so great anyway.

Ill look into the margin bug more and see what I can do, anyone else feel free to make suggestions .

Thanks for helpin out tyssen