I am planning to launch a website but am completely lost about a lot of things... I have jotted my requirements down... could someone kindly help me with these? Thanks in advance.
My requirements include:
A) capability to offer:
1) web based email of the form <username>@<oursite>.com to our site visitors
2) community products like bulletin boards, chat client etc. which can be readymade at the beginning but will be customized according to our requirements later
3) newsletters to users who opt to subscribe
4) regulated access, with different access levels implemented for different users
5) photograph database in two forms:
a) read-only for users (generic ones)
b) read-write for users (their personal ones)
user being able to add only upto, say, 10-15Mb of photographs
6) search engine to search through our site
7) personalization of the site (according to user preferences) and customization according to the user (according to our logic) the site is serving
8) utility to help user create a homepage by just clicking through a wizard (only a single page is allowed)
9) personalized URLs of the form http://<username>.<oursite>.com (subdomains)
10) Flash/Shockwave enriched experience in-part/in-full
B) knowledge of:
1) the hosting options available covering scalability, cost, speed and other basic issues
2) maintenance issues
1) Free remote hosted service (i.e. http://www.bigmailbox.com/ or http://www.delphi.com/ etc.) or a script hosted on your own server, such as http://solutionscripts.com/
2) The same as #1
3) Look around this site. Lots and lots of newsletter resources and info.
4) That can be implemented fairly easily with server side scripting.
5) Hmm, can't think of any ready made resources, but this too should not be all that hard to code.
6)Again, you can either use free cgi scripts or try http://www.atomz.com/ they have been getting a lot of attention.
7) Easy, drop a cookie with a unique id on each members computer. When they come back, check the id, look up their preferences in the database and set the bgcolor, font, etc. etc. accordingly.
8) Again, try out http://solutionscripts.com/ or another service.
9) I think you will need a dedicated server for that... But try asking your host.
10) Either grow your creative flair or pay an artist to create it for you
Disclaimer: I have not use all of the services above! But take a look at them and see what they can do. I am sure there are probably more/better service out there, but these are the onces I have looked at.