User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Troublesome autocomplete

Hi,

I'm having trouble with getting my forms to work with AutoComplete in IE, the Wand in Opera, etc.

When I complete my forms, IE offers to remember the stuff I put in there. I click Yes, let the form submission finish, restart my browser and go to the form again. Only to get nothing prefilled into the form. If I complete the form again, IE offers to remember things again, but happily forgets it again the moment I click yes.

Any suggestions as to what might cause this? I've made sure the preferences in IE are set right - I've checked both Web Addresses, Forms and User names and passwords on forms.

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

Twinkletoes

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the IE problem, but the Wand in Opera doesn't work like the autocomplete feature/security hazard in other browsers. It offers to save a number of values, which it then offers in input fields. It doesn't automagically remember things you enter in arbitrary forms.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing > Use Inline Autocomplete. Is that checked? By default it is not.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do
    the day after tomorrow. ~ Mark Twain

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo
    ...the Wand in Opera doesn't work like the autocomplete feature/security hazard in other browsers...
    I have no problem believing that. However, Opera doesn't offer to remember anything at all. IE offers to remember the user name and password, but doesn't. Firefox, on the other hand, offers to remember and actually does remember it.

This browser-specific behaviour is consistent across several computers, all using Opera's Wand extensively on other sites, and all getting stuff from other sites remembered in IE. I'm confused

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keriam
    Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing > Use Inline Autocomplete. Is that checked? By default it is not.
    It wasn't, but checking it didn't help.

I can't stop suspecting I'm doing something basic wrong, but can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you running any firewalls, some of them (Norton, McAfee at least) incorporate privacy features that will not save autocomplete info unless you are specifically telling/allowing them to.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do
    the day after tomorrow. ~ Mark Twain