User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red Cross Under Fire?

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/06/rec...ing/index.html

Apparently all of the money raised by the red cross (over 500M) hasn't been distributed nor are there plans to distribute it. Fully two thirds of the cash raised is being diverted to operational endeavours and as a stash for future emergencies.

Families needing relief are having a heck of a time getting it, the president is quitting...

Ergh... The Red Cross said it was clear that the fund setup for Sept 11 wasn't necessarily FOR Sept 11...
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I admit, I didn't read the article, but are you referring to the American Red Cross or the International Red Cross. They are two completely different organizations.
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American (same one advertised here on SitePoint that many of us gave to).
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know. Stocking up for future attacks, that are nearly garenteed, it a good idea. But they needed to say that they were doing this upfront.

I feal sorry for Healy. I can't think of anyone else who had a better name for the job. I think she just got ahead of the board... Non-profits don't like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a little ticked at the Red Cross for running advertising campaigns that were dishonest and misleading. People donated out of the generosity of their hearts in what they thought would be, and only be, the family's of the victims. That didn't happen, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    I am a little ticked at the Red Cross for running advertising campaigns that were dishonest and misleading. People donated out of the generosity of their hearts in what they thought would be, and only be, the family's of the victims. That didn't happen, unfortunately.
    Well, now the Red Cross is attempting to rectify the situation: all the money is going to the victims. None will be spent for future preparedness...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once spent time with Christina Noble, an Irish woman who wrote the bestseller "Bridge Across My Sorrow" and who started up a charity in Vietnam, and she told me horror stories about how those big charities spent more on cocktail parties then they got to really help people for the entire year!!

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by tommatthews
    I once spent time with Christina Noble, an Irish woman who wrote the bestseller "Bridge Across My Sorrow" and who started up a charity in Vietnam, and she told me horror stories about how those big charities spent more on cocktail parties then they got to really help people for the entire year!!
    I believe they call those "administrative fees".
    I often wonder about that, certain non-profit organizations with staff making 200k or more a year.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a tough issue. There are unscrupulous charities (or rather, administrations within charities) that overspend on that sort of thing. I actually have a friend who was until recently head of a very large charity in the UK, and was on 80,000 a year for ut. That (even to me initially) may seem silly, but if you balance that with a well run charity, you find that in the long run the charity can benefit both financially and in application by that sort of outlay.

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People should not be surprised. The American Red Cross is infamous for it's high administrative costs. I believe the last number I saw was well over 25% admin costs. Way too high for a charity....
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style