SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of terrorism is next?

Not to make anyone jumpy, but September 11 there was a terrorist attack that utilized a conventional attack (conventional explosion on a building) and an unconventional means of delivery (hijacked airliners.)

October 6th (I believe) brought a biological attack delivered through an unconventional means, the postal service. Now I realize that the FBI has not linked Al Qaeda to the anthrax, but I'm taking a little presumptious license and for the sake of this conversation, I'm assuming there's a link.

So, we had begininng of September -Conventional. Beginning of October - Biological. What does the beginning of November hold for us? Anything? What's your thoughts?

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm figuring we'll lose a large bridge or perhaps a tunnel soon enough. Maybe something will go wrong at a Nuclear plant. I'm more suprised though at these Anthrax incidents, with such a large scale attack as 911, the Anthrax mailings seem a bit unfitting to be related. The potential damage that could be done by someone with access to this stuff is pretty broad.

There's been heavy security 24 hours a day since, but the WTC attack was supposedly planned for 5 years. If, but most likely when the next incident will occur is pretty obscure. They definately hit us by suprise, i'd imagine they'd go for the same tactic in the future.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fear what the next step is.

There are so many places where we are vernerable.

I hope nothing else happens. But the chances of another attack are almost 100%.

I hope we can end this, one way or another, as soon as possible.
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've thought some about this... It makes since that there'll be a lull in the attacks for a few months. They'll let us sweat a little, we'll drop our guard a little, and then they'll strike. That's how these things have been done in the past.

As for the next type of attack, it's probably going to be something surprisingly cheap to implement, yet very effective, nonetheless. It has to be something with a lot of bang for the buck, and affect a lot of people.

There also seems to be a sick pattern to the attacks, too: American diplomacy (embassy bombings), American finance (first world trade center bombings), American military (U.S.S. Cole attack), maintenance attack (finish the finance and military jobs), American pop-culture (anthrax attacks to media and high-profile people). Next will either be a media target or an American future attack (perhaps a graduation ceremony, or something).

That's my armature bit of detective work.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word, water.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RKuhle
    One word, water.
    That's one I was thinking about earlier, wonder how the security is around major dams like Hoover dam, etc.
    Also, what are the chances Anthrax is already in various water supplies?

This thread's going to lead to a lot of paranoia.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    security is pretty tight around the nation's water supplies. Of course it doesn't take more than an "innocent hiker" to disperse arsinic or other chemical in a small but lethal amout in Liberty Reservoir or any number of other "natural reservoir/water supplies". But Like I said, officials are looking for that, security is pretty high and I'm sure there's all kinds of electronic monitoring equipment monitoring the pH balance of our water supplies. I think it might be a bit more conventional than that.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What other conventional options are open yet? So many things are being locked off.

Last week there was some news about the four major California bridges being hit. Now the FBI is saying Davis didn't have enough credible evidence to make that claim. All I know is they're pretty tight on the Coronado Bridge right now...
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next acts of terrorism are not likely to come week by week, or month by month, I don't think.

They are likely to come up at random times over the next few decades. For example, the september 11 attacks were totally unexpected and had been under preparation for 5 years or more, proving that whatever hatred these terrorists had for the US existed throughout all that time.

I am thinking that the next major act of terrorism against the US will be a couple of years from now. America, if it continues its current campaign, may be fighting for decades.

---

In my opinion, one cannot fight a war against terrorism itself, one can only fight a war against terrorists. This is an extremely important distinction to me. Fighting against terrorists wipes out these terrorists, but it does not wipe out terrorism. It fact, it fuels terrorism, and here's why.

Terrorism is a potential threat in any society, and is a product of hatred. These terrorists did not do what they did because of jealousy, that's ridicidulous. They did it because they were mad. They had an enormous hatred for the US. This hatred is not extinguished by killing the terrorists known to possess such hatred. This kind of action kills terrorists but fuels hatred, which serves as bait for more acts of terrorism.

It worries me that fuel is being poured on the fire.

---

PS I agree with Ian Glass' comments above that the terrorist forces will let the rest of the world drop their guard a little. The world will not just drop its guard a little because they think it's over, but because they cannot afford to keep their country on such high state of alert for years. One thing is for sure - this thing isn't going to be over quickly. It will drag on for years, and probably decades.
    Last edited by mmj; Nov 8, 2001 at 12:58.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sketch
    Öit doesn't take more than an "innocent hiker" to disperse arsinic or other chemical in a small but lethal amout in Liberty Reservoir or any number of other "natural reservoir/water supplies".
    Actually, no. Itís more likely going to take an innocent convoy of tanker trucks. Reservoirs hold massive amounts of water. The chances of any terrorist actually having enough of some chemical to contaminate an entire reservoir are slim to none. {http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections/...ety011025.html Sketch, didnít you see that on FOXNews?} I donít think that an attack by poison on our water supplies is very likely.

Originally posted by mmj
    In my opinion, one cannot fight a war against terrorism itself, one can only fight a war against terrorists.
    Iím afraid thatís something that Wís gotten from his father (war on drugs). I agree that you canít fight a war on an ideology. Itís impossible to do. You can, however, fight a war against Al Qeada and the Taliban, and, indeed, thatís a righteous and honorable cause.

For one thing, no one can settle on one definition of ďterroristĒ. Itís been used as broadly used to include revolutionaries, which, in all honesty, is true. The Boston Tea Party was an act of terror, although no one died, but then so was the Boston Massacre (to use a couple examples from American history). Everyone likes to define his or her enemies as the incarnation of evil, but its rarely entirely true.

I think that the war against Al Qeada and the Taliban should be Americaís fight. Bringing in any other countries to provide anything more than a ďblind-eyeĒ and occasionally information is a mistake. I donít think that the British, Turkish, or even the Australians should provide troops like theyíve offered. You canít run a successful war by committee. Period. When you bring other nationalities, youíre running a war by committee, usually. Too many objectives and agendas are in the pot right now, and itís making the war against far too broad.

Thatís doesnít mean, however, that other countries should not join us in an initiative against terror. There is an opportunity to stamp out terrorism as a means of conflict; I just hope we donít miss it. A worldwide coalition against terror is a good idea. It gives all nations additional support to combat this threat from within their borders and other countries, as well. I think it would be a good idea to adopt an anti-terrorism proposal at the International War Crimes Tribunal and more emphasis on terrorism in the U.N. More cooperation worldwide is needed to stamp this thing out.

~~That's My 2Ę

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

i think it'll be nuclear...
    all about knives? what would i know about em? oh well.. whatever!
    I'm a certified Ninjai fanatic