SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Antialiasing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a light-gray letters on black background. The letters look kinda "unstable" - a portion of it might look a little brighter then the other one (the letters are pretty small in size).
    On some other forum I've seen a post where a guy was showing his new site, and replies were about the antialiasing of the letters. Back then I didn't understand what they ment, but now I think it's what I have to think about.
    Please let me know what you think. And how can I fix the problem.
    Andy

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On almost every drawing application aa'ing is done for you automatically. If you are using paint then you should defintetely try the trials of other programs and buy them.

Anti-aliasing is the process of putting intermediate colors in between two objects. For example, I had a black circle on a green background. On the edge of the circle, the colors would go greener until theu got to black. It looks much smoother that way.

Any more questions, post here.

------------------
    -Quinn Slack
    http:/www.fourthdev.com has webmaster resources!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I finish this stupid page of mine I'll post it here, but for now: can you think of anything else as a reason why I have such a strange effect with the letters as described above?
    TIA.
    Andy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want crisp text in small font (eg, 8-10 points) don't use anti-aliasing. It will make the small text blured. As long as the font you use is fairly standard with reasonable size (8-15 points in san-serif or serif types) you can go without anti-aliasing. But if you use some script type fonts or italic fonts then anti-aliasing would smooth out the jagged lines. Another point is that the contrast between the two colours, if the contrast is too high (eg. black and white) anti-aliasing will create a bleeding edge, try lowering the contrast between the two colours, eg using a 50-70% gray tone on a white background.

hmm, too much mumbling...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not too much. Thanx for the answer.
    The only problem is that I don't know how to turn antialiasing on and off.
    I'm using Flash 4 and there are different View modes including intialiasing and intialiasing letters. But I think it doesn't really change the final outcome of the page.
    Any suggestions?
    TIA
    Andy