0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal9k
    It seems like I inadvertently opened a can of worms
    Yeah. Let's just leave it be.

private $SchemaModel;
    private means "only accessible from this class". protected means "only accessible from this class or it's descendants". It's unfortunate that private sounds like the natural counter to public - If you use private, you make it impossible (or hard) to extend the class. So as a rule of thumb - use protected and only resort to private in very special cases.

$this->Request->offsetGet('display')
    I assume that your requestwrapper implements ArrayAccess ? In that case, you could just do:
    PHP Code:
    $this->Request['display'
    $this->SchemaModel->connectDatabase();
    You might want to pass the database connection to the model, rather than create it in the constructor. If you have multiple model's, you wouldn't have to open multiple connections. It would also allow you to use transactions.

$users =<<<EOD
    // sql here
    EOD;
    $this->Database->query($users);
    I prefer to put sql in class constants. It puts them in a single place. You could later decide to move them out into a data dictionary, which would make it possible to port your application to different rdbms's.

In the nitpicking appartment; The common standard is to let variables begin with a small letter and capitalize succeeding words. Eg. $this->schemaModel. It's particularily important with variables, since PHP is case sensitive with variables.

Afraid I can't do that Dave Hal9k's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken
    In the nitpicking appartment; The common standard is to let variables begin with a small letter and capitalize succeeding words. Eg. $this->schemaModel. It's particularily important with variables, since PHP is case sensitive with variables.
    My reason for doing this was to show what is an object, it's just a little convention I subconsciously use.

I'll definitely make those other ammendments though.

Edit:

Made the changes and nothing breaks, which seems to be happening consistently; it's nice to have flexible code Cheers to everyone who posted in this thread, especially Kyber and Fenrir for providing an interesting counterpoint.