User Tag List

Thread: Memory Manager

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory Manager

Hi all,

I have quite a bit of memory in my computer & it's still never enough.

Someone recommended I get a memory manager software program.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Michelle

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you may want to give us a little more infos, before we make any recommendations?!

1. How much is "quite a bit of memory"?
    2. What do you mean by "it's still never enough"? - Do you get any error messages or does the compi just swap to the hard disk and hence it's getting slower?
    3. What OS are you using?
    4. When is the memory not enough?

Cheers

Ingo
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

Ok, here are my answers...

1. 1 GB
    2. Well my Outlook is totally packed, so that's a huge problem. I can't even open an e-mail while it's DLing mail.

Then someone tried to send me something thru MSN & it was taking forever & when someone went to CPU process (I think it was) in Task Manager he said the entire resources are being used & yes, I do have a lot of stuff open, I run my biz from this baby.

3. XP, just switched from 2000 last year.

4. Overall I can tell things are sluggish.

Thanks Ingo

Michelle

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, hmm. So, it's feeling sluggish overall. Side note: My PC is running on XP with 1GB, too

I'm not too sure if a "memory manager" will help in your case, because even if such a tool tries to optimize your memory usage, there might not be much to optimize at all (if used memory > physical memory, swapping is inevitable)...

Some ideas what you could do though:

1. Check the swap file settings of XP - is it set to "controlled by windows"? If yup, trying to set it manually might help...I use the following rule of thumb: min = physical memory / 2, max = physical memory * 2

2. Check the memory usage of the applications you're running (i.e. open all programs that are normally running) - open task-manager and check the current size of the swap file and the mem used app by app (you can add more columns by adding them via the task-manager menu, i.e. memory used, virtual memory, etc)

3. Sometimes hard to do, but close all apps that aren't needed at that point in time, especially if you found one/some of them to use a lot of resources while doing 2.

4. Check your system for Spyware/Malware and Viruses!!! I have more than once solved "overall sluggishness" on client's machines by eliminating dozen if not hundreds of spyware/malware stuff running in the background, eating up the system (both cpu and memory usage) alive!!!

5. Make sure that the system is running on the latest version - (read: windows update! and especially Office Update!)

6. If none of the above helps you should consider a) buying more ram (although 1GB should be relatively fine in most scenarios) b) reinstall the OS - this is especially true if the system has been running for years with lots of installing/uninstalling etc

Cheers

Ingo
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good utility for ram management.

FreeRAM XP Pro 1.52
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/M...M-XP-Pro.shtml

Your comp shouldn't be running slow with a 1gig ram.
    Have you tried defragging the HD and finding tools to clean
    registry like regscrub xp, regsupreme. You probably have services
    enabled that you don't need on. XP comes with them already
    turned on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, sorry about the delay.

To even find time to defrag is a major thing

I don't have those registry programs. Are they safe?

Which one is the best one?

I defraged C, I'll do F & G tonight after I am finished working.

Thanks

Michelle
    P.S. Yes I believe a lot of stuff was turned off for me, but I can't be 100% sure.

Afraid I can't do that Dave Hal9k's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingoal
    6. If none of the above helps you should consider a) buying more ram (although 1GB should be relatively fine in most scenarios) b) reinstall the OS - this is especially true if the system has been running for years with lots of installing/uninstalling etc
    I'd definitely recommend reinstalling Windows, when I used to use Windows I reinstalled it every 6 months or so, I just found it slowly ground to a halt. Also keep it updated as patches sometimes plug the memory leaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exoticpublishing
    Hi there,
    2. Well my Outlook is totally packed, so that's a huge problem. I can't even open an e-mail while it's DLing mail.
    Given the nature of Outlook (it likes to take all the resources it can find while it is doing its thing) that could actually slow your whole system. It might take a little organization on your part, but I would create some smaller .pst files. One for each year, or six month period? Whatever would make sense to you to use. Smaller .pst files vastly improve the performance of Outlook. Another thing with Outlook is to use the archiving function. It moves mail to another file, and the file is compacted as part of the process. For example, I get some reports that are "time sensative" and after 10 days or so the information in them is no longer valid. I set the archive function to delete messages older than 10 days to clear them out. Other things I need to keep for at least a year, for those I set the archive to store them in another folder, only keeping about 2 weeks worth in the active file.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do
    the day after tomorrow. ~ Mark Twain