Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can u make money with a forum site?

Hi,

I am going to start a site the is a forum with the idea to get people from my country to express what's going on here... i want to put some publicity there but mainly Adsense, so do y'all think or have any experience getting traffic and making some money with a forum site??

Thanks
    Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forums are hard to start in the begining, since you will need a user base of people in order for a forum concept to work, however once you have some members things are not that hard. That being said good forums do make lots of money and have number of different options how to monetize their traffic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice...

Yeah as u told me.. getting traffic is going to be the difficult part, i am going to try to start a forum with people i know in the beginning and give good content, hope if i work hard enough on that so other people will come.., but i know that in the beginning stage of the forum is going to be hard to make lots of money ....

Have had any experiences of developing a forum site.. is it better to have an specific topic or mix some topics... like travel and all those things related to it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think that forum is one the best ways to make money online.

However, it is darn hard to get it started and to maintain it to a point where you can have great return.

Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any tips? I run a forum with almost 50,000 users and I need money. I am on AdBrite now, maybe make subscriptions? But what should I offer? Help?

illegal ********* immigrant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    adsense between posts

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdmonkey
    adsense between posts
    I have an Adsense account and i just started a blog and already had like $2 in two weeks, not bad since i havent even made any publicity of it.. so as weirdmonkey said... putting Adsense between post is a great way to increase your revenue... in the forum i am going to build i certainly would...

And i see u have like 50,000 members.. u can make more with Adsense...

And as i asked before... is it cool to have an specific topic of what the forum is going to be about... or y'all think it could be better to mix certain topics?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my Forum is headache for me.. i started from 2 years hardly 67 members n 1100 posts. But still i m waiting for the day when i'll be having tons of members n posts. Trying my best with Adsense too but all i got is 55$ in last 1 year. too bad i know.... hope you'll do good.

All the best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you will PM me your site url, I can probably offer you something interesting...
    Try our SW and decide if you are a poker player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forums are definitely a good solid source of income, but the number of profitable forums is very small. It typically takes at least 1 year to get a forum making any kind of decent income.
    New @ EarnersForum.com ~ Free Ajax Keyword Rankings Tool
    Amazing Free Marketplace - Many Features ~ Earners Forum
    Recent Audio Interview ~ Chad of DirectoryVault.com + More

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me forums r never good source of income... i m using from last 16 months.... but still i don;t get anything.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, didn't know that forum is good source to make some solid money. I'm running a forum with quite much traffic for 1 year now, and i have not placed any ads since the beginning. Must do something, but that freakinī adsense kicked me out ;@ and yahoo don't want me either.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you spend enough time at it and actually do more work then just placing an ad in the header - then yes, money can be made.

It's just like any other site. You need content, and plenty of it.

-Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely get any action off the adds on my forum. I get mostly return visitors that dont generally hit the ads. It would be nice if ValueClick allowed their adds to be placed on forums.

Ive thought about placing ads between post, but think it might be overkill and push the members that I do have away.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you place Yahoo or Google Ads on Forums?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerXs
    I rarely get any action off the adds on my forum. I get mostly return visitors that dont generally hit the ads. It would be nice if ValueClick allowed their adds to be placed on forums.

Ive thought about placing ads between post, but think it might be overkill and push the members that I do have away.
    I agree, I don't click on ads, and don't like ads breaking my concentration between posts. I guess my members are just like me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratface
    Can you place Yahoo or Google Ads on Forums?
    u can place Adsense from what i've seen .. i don't know about Yahoo's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly recommend you don't use adsense (or ypn for the matter) between your posts. It absolutely kills your CTR and its pretty much useless IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's bad to have you ctr getting killed? does it make less money? since i attached a forum to my website i could kill my ctr... ( i had 1K visitors a day on my non-forum site, 7K page's) and now a few hunderd pagevieuws more with a forum... (and adsense codes on it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezo
    what's bad to have you ctr getting killed? does it make less money? since i attached a forum to my website i could kill my ctr... ( i had 1K visitors a day on my non-forum site, 7K page's) and now a few hunderd pagevieuws more with a forum... (and adsense codes on it)
    btw your first site in teh list with forum does not work in firefox, take a look it is missed up
    www.holypal.com
    Christian Social Network
    http://www.KalamArab.com
    Arabic Social Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a lot of hard and smart work to have profitable forum and of course, TIME...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks hpal i will let it open in a new window, instead of a Iframe... now lets hope that it will work...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took me over a year to start making more money then my 9-5... its hard to make money with forums and its even harder to keep making money.
    Rob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maksa
    my Forum is headache for me.. i started from 2 years hardly 67 members n 1100 posts. But still i m waiting for the day when i'll be having tons of members n posts. Trying my best with Adsense too but all i got is 55$ in last 1 year. too bad i know.... hope you'll do good.

All the best
    lol aww, your post made me sad really, you seem like your working really hard but things just aint working too well.

I hope your sites do good this year though, keep at it!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are one of the things i found around that could help us all to build a sucesful forum:

1. Ask friends for posting on forum.
    2. Open a lot of threads and your users can make more posts.
    3. Make some 'fake' accounts and talk to yourself. (I guess this one if u are very creative can be succesful )
    4. Write on forums and have link in your signature.
    5. Write some articles and post it on forum. That will bring visitors and more visitors, more new users, more posts.
    6. If you have newsletter, write about forum in it.
    7. If you have blog, post a review of your forum.
    8. Post link to your forum here: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159675

The main thing i have researched is to really get to your target niche to visit the forum, and there might be some other ways, i am going to try them and keep on researching and hopefully get some success soon...