SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promoting Something... Unique

I have a site that's kind of a pet project of mine, dating back to 5th grade! It's a recipe for a unique kids dessert that my friend and I came up with for a school project - we call it "Dead Fish Surprise" (you can probably guess the URL...)

I thought I'd be able to get some good publicity for this fairly easily, but, big surprise, that wasn't the case! I'm looking for fun ideas on how to promote this since it is a fun kind of thing.

Note: I'm selling the recipe/guide on how to cook it, not the actual prepared food.

I got some links from kid and parent friendly sites, and I submitted some other fun recipes to recipe directories, citing DeadFishSurprise.com as the author. I'm going to do some press releases soon (not sure why I've waited so long...)

So I'm really wondering if you have specific ideas for promoting this and if you think it is something cool that could get really popular. So far I've had good feedback from everyone that tried it, along with a few parents saying it's a neat idea.

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...

A dessert called 'dead fish suprise'??? Sorry but that just doesn't sound very appetizing to me.
    I would probably start by changing the name.

Just my 2cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Tanner
    Hmmm...

A dessert called 'dead fish suprise'??? Sorry but that just doesn't sound very appetizing to me.
    I would probably start by changing the name.

Just my 2cents
    That was the original name we came up with years ago - no way it's going to change!

Does the popular dessert "worms in dirt" sound appetizing? Kids love that stuff.

Thanks for the comment though.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I see - your offer has some 'news' value. I would suggest massive press release bomb - 5-7 press releases.

But try to make it a very catching thing. For example, "Austranauts have never been to space because Earth is flat and sky has crystal dome that can't be broken through" or "Bush cannot see red color on the US flag"

If your news is catchy (you say it is unique) - then you will get nice publicity.

Remember the guy with pixel advertising, the one who was the first? His site was a very good example of press release promo, because the idea of getting $1 mln via stupid pixels was great.

Think of it this way, maybe you can shake the globe.
    Last edited by SmartPoint; Jun 17, 2006 at 06:18.
    !BEST BARGAIN! - 100% Free Link Exchange Script
    Isn't it better @ zero cost to use the tool
    which is better than $90+ solutions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartPoint
    Remember the guy with pixel advertising, the one who was the first? His site was a very good example of press release promo, because the idea of getting $1 mln via stupid pixels was great.

Think of it this way, maybe you can shale the globe.
    Interesting, I didn't know million dollar home page was based off of press releases. That's inspiring because my very original idea/goal was to sell a million copies of this recipe at $1 each. Hmm...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTbiker
    Interesting, I didn't know million dollar home page was based off of press releases. That's inspiring because my very original idea/goal was to sell a million copies of this recipe at $1 each. Hmm...
    Sell recipes for a buck a piece? Well, I've seen stranger more crazier ideas that made money. Good luck with your idea.
    BTW, MDHP wasn't based off of press releases, PR's were what gave him the launchpad to made his idea worldknown. But the key was that it was the first. So word spread like crazy after a month or so. (Hiring a professional didn't hurt either.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do PR releases really work? I have a website at www.JustHelpMe.net that offers free tech help to home computer users. I'm also trying o get traffic to my site, but I nver considered a PR release. What does that involve?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtallard
    Do PR releases really work? I have a website at www.JustHelpMe.net that offers free tech help to home computer users. I'm also trying o get traffic to my site, but I nver considered a PR release. What does that involve?
    I can speak my experience only. Press releases won't give you tons of targeted traffic. If you are doing something ordinary (I don't mean the quality, I mean the news value of it) - then press releases is just a good way to gat quality backlinks, maybe to stay for some particular keywords on top of SE results if you play wisely wih PR title.

But if you plan to stay on top with press releases only, then you need sending 2-3 new press releases per week. And it is not that easy to find something newslike (don't forget that PRWeb and some other PR companies care about reputation and will not take junk) - so, you have to set your mind in the term of news.

In MTbiker's example I think his news value for this offer has big potential. If he finds a good press release writer (who make the news even from such a stupid thing as Madonna's dress at today's morning coffee) or if he personally manages to set nice concept for the news - then I think press releases will not only boost him with backlinks and keyword position improvements. He will most probably get real traffic, and his news will be spread from agency to agency. I was shocked to see the article about 'pixel guy' in one of the local papers (fully off-topic) few months ago. Imagine how strong was the power of that press release wave, if the news is still taken by tiny periodicals in the remote places where I've been.
    !BEST BARGAIN! - 100% Free Link Exchange Script
    Isn't it better @ zero cost to use the tool
    which is better than $90+ solutions?