SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question PHP vs. ASP Redesign

If a website is designed with ASP, is it possible to redesign it to be a PHP based in terms of the database? If so, is the database and scripting the only thing that needs to be changed or do I have to do any changes in the HTML?
    Please let me know.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Can you expand further on "in terms of the database"? A query is a query. The differences you're going to see is in terms of what commands you use to connect to the database, and what commands you use to query and retrieve data from it. There are some other things as well, but within the scope of basic database operation it should be fairly consistant.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can redesign it with PHP. ASP and PHP are both scripting languages.
    The HTML code will stay the same.
    What type of database are you using? MySQL???

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow PHP vs. ASP

Well, currently the website is running with a MS Access database with ASP to upload pictures of each project that the cunstruction company is working on. More pictures are added to the database as more pictures are available as the project is finished. There is also a contect form and a short survey with a section of selections that the user can select depending on what they think of the service provided and services desired. So that is where my question comes in regards to switching from ASP to PHP. Please take a look at the current state of the site at www.zeesgroup.com. The site might not work great in Firefox since it was designed before the wide usage of the new browser. So, it is IE optimized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

MS Access.. hmmm. Well, first off you're going to painfully find out that PHP support for MS Access just plain isn't there. That said, you're going to most likely have to convert your DB over to something like MySQL where it can frolic in the praries with PHP

PHP --> <-- MySQL

Conversion tools exist for that, I found some on google pretty quick. Though if you want to make a big impact , you might consider doing a solid DB design (this means stuff like normalization, indexing, etc). I'm not sure to what extent Access does that if at all.