Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dancer3 View Post
    Hello,

I have received a message on my answerphone form Moreton Smith International yeaterday, and also a letter today saying that I owe them 13.000 which includes a 1000 interest.

Please help
    Just ignore Moreton Smith. As they are not bailiffs (and in any case they do not have a court order), Moreton Smith have no powers at all. Their only tactic is to make empty threats just to scare you. If you contact them, they will think you are scared and will try more scare tactics.

Can anyone confirm whether Moreton Smith make visits in person to recipients of Getty's letters? Moreton Smith appear to send out letters roughly 6 months after Getty's letters, but I'm interested to know whether their tactics are confined to letters alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the problem is my portfolio was online, as it was a website, and the school was encouraging us to keep it online, they even had it on their website for a while.

The other problem is I don't even know which images caused this problem, as I haven't received any communication from Getty. It was all passed on to Moreton Smith, without me realising this was all going on.

I have emailed www.limeone.com yesterday, and will call Moreton Smith tomorrow to tell them I haven't received anything from Getty so far. Will also call the Trading Standards to report the situation. I hope this is the right thing to do. I simply don't have the almost £14.000 they are asking me to pay in full. It is all very worrying, and I feel I will lose out, as my portfoli was online.
    In your case I would call the school, if possible speak to the prinicpal or deputy, explain this to them and see what they say. It may be that their copyright license, if they have one, covers you. If it doesn't then they need to be aware of the ramifications of what they're saying.
    SMILE! everyone will wonder what you're up to.
    Site - under construction - again

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your support. To make my case even more complicated, the school has actually went bust a couple of years ago. I also really doubt they had any agreements with either Getty or Corbis, as I remember us going on both those sites.
    I really feel a bit naive and stupid that all this happened to me. I just hope it can be resolved. It is causing me sleepless nights.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to call Moreton Smith tomorrow, as I have to obtain the invoices from Getty I have never seen. Just worried they will put even more fear into me.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to call them I would just tell them that ...
    • You know nothing about this
    • You never bought anything from Getty
    • You have never received any invoice
    • If you do receive an invoice you will be disputing it.

From what I have read about this situation Moreton Smith have no real powers and if you tell them you are disputing an invoice then they must step back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also really doubt they had any agreements with either Getty or Corbis,
    They wouldn't have had a direct agreement with anyone. In the UK there are effectively group licensing schemes for education and they tend to be administered through Education Authorities or a body like JISC. They buy a global licence for royalty payments and the schools pay so much towards it each year. How the heck they work out who is owed what in Royalties I haven't a clue.
    SMILE! everyone will wonder what you're up to.
    Site - under construction - again

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

I am glad to hear about the group licensing schemes for education, I really hope the school I went to had it all arranged.

Just to update you all on my story.

I received a response from www.limeone.com first thing this morning, very efficient. They are happy to take my case on, will send letters to both Moreton Smith and Getty on my behalf. Such a relief, as I was very anxious about making any contact with Moreton.

Another message from Moreton was waiting for me on my answering machine, which was quite disturbing. Not nice at all. I am not answering any of their calls, just keeping a record of them.

Thank you all for you support and advice, will keep you posted on my case.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Dancer3. Can you give us the general jist of what the messages that MoretonSmith left for you? Also www.limeone.com, what are their fee's etc?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i too have contacted limeone who i am going to appoint to act on my behalf.

All the info is going out in the post tonight so here's hoping.

CAn you elaborate on the calls from Moreton Smith so i am prepared and, did you say the invoice was 'in dispute'

Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was contacted (actually the U.S. company was officially contacted that never existed...never registered......we never got past the website design phase).

not sure where images originally came from.

each image was being billed for $1000

I offered to buy the images for the price that they offered for the duration on the demand on their website, since I was not aware. But realized that there was an infraction.

They said that was not good enough.

"The amount being invoiced is the price for past use plus a copyright infringement premium. This premium covers administrative costs and past commissions due to our photographers."

I guess my issue is that I was not aware of where the photographs originated, but also realize that it IS an infraction and am willing to pay for the images legit. I could easily not call them back, but I am trying to meet them somewhere in the middle (middle = "fair")

Contemplating what to do

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do not know what to do just consider the fact that as far as I know no one who has refused to pay has yet been prosecuted, and this has been going on for about nine months or more.

Come on Getty let's see what you are made of!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

helpless in the USA

I ignored my two letters from Getty. Today I got a letter from a law firm who Getty retained to sue me for $1,000 for an image they claimed I stole. This image has a small watermark on it, Getty does not watermark their images so it clearly was "stolen" from another site.

Has anyone in the USA received a letter from a law firm threatening to sue on behalf of Getty? Did you do anything about it?

I can't see how I can be responsible for an image on a website that I did not even make - somebody else made the website for me, but I guess that does not matter does it in the USA???

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Booler View Post
    If you do not know what to do just consider the fact that as far as I know no one who has refused to pay has yet been prosecuted, and this has been going on for about nine months or more.

Come on Getty let's see what you are made of!
    It is also possible some one has been prosecuted and no one knows about it. The letter from the law firm still makes me nervous.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,

Basically Moreton is leaving messages every day, saying that they are acting on the behalf of their client Getty USA - regarding copyright infringement and unauthorized use of images on my website. I should call them urgently to settle my invoice in full. I haven't actually talked to Moreton yet, as was advised not to.

I wouldn't like to state here what www.limeone.com fees are, but all I can say they a reasonable.

This is all very unsettling, it just happened so suddenly, as I have never received any communication from Getty. From one day to another, suddenly I am being chased to pay over 10,000 in full. I don't even know exactly what I am accused of.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardent_power View Post

Note: I still do not understand why Getty doesn't protect their images better. By either putting on a Ghost watermark or at least a good digital watermark, I sure many of us could have avoided any of this in the first place. There should be no reason for them to release any photo unmarked without payment from the user/client. This is a stupid practice and borders on entrapment. Getty's explanation is not marking the image allows their clients to display the image to the potential buyer. Well that's BS. I think anyone could make a decision on an image even with Getty written across or along the bottom of the image. Someone needs to get Getty to stop this practice. It is obvious that Getty won't do it since they are making money on extorting designers, websites and others. Some sort of court order is probably the only answer.
    The reason Getty does not protect their images is because they want people to steal them so that they can go after them for $1,000 per picture fees. All other stock photo sites protect their images except for Getty - yes this is entrapment and there should be a law against it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SydneyJen View Post
    The reason Getty does not protect their images is because they want people to steal them so that they can go after them for $1,000 per picture fees.
    My biggest problem is that even though I was not aware of the origins of the pictures, I tried to purchase the images legally for the timeframe stated (6 months), in order to be fair.

Still nothing....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, has anybody paid these demands?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuck, what country are you in?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Us

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The exact image Getty is trying to make me pay $1,000 for is on another stock photography site for $95 and it has the same watermark as my image - so the person who "stole" this image did not copy it from Getty, but from the other stock image site. I don't think Getty cares, they just want $1,000 from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps Getty owns this other stock site?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing Getty, anything is possible. But even then they're not "excused" from doing the right thing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,

Basically Moreton is leaving messages every day, saying that they are acting on the behalf of their client Getty USA - regarding copyright infringement and unauthorized use of images on my website. I should call them urgently to settle my invoice in full. I haven't actually talked to Moreton yet, as was advised not to.

I wouldn't like to state here what www.limeone.com fees are, but all I can say they a reasonable.

This is all very unsettling, it just happened so suddenly, as I have never received any communication from Getty. From one day to another, suddenly I am being chased to pay over 10,000 in full. I don't even know exactly what I am accused of.
    dancer could i just ask..how did you initially hear about limeone?

thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found limeone on this thread.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anybody being chased for over 10.000 or is it only me? I am starting to get panic attacks. It worries me a lot I have to say.

Has anybody's case has been dropped recently?