SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alhefner
    Since I just recently started a dating site where members can upload thier own images, I am a bit concerned about my owm possible liability should any of my "members" upload a copyrighted image for their own profile!
    If you're in the USA, the DMCA takedown notice system protects you. It's one of the laws we've been discussing here. I bet if you go back through the replies, you'll find a link or two to articles or Wikipedia entries about it. Read up on it and follow the method it outlines.
    Outshine - geek blog & free phpBB mods
    Publisher Database - tools & forums for writers
    What Do Women Want? - dating advice for men, from women

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting quote from SydneyJen's link above:

"Getty, for its part, has not filed a lawsuit against a photo thief in at least four years, according to John Lapham, the vice president responsible for legal affairs at Getty. Sometimes Getty sends warning letters to sites demanding that photos be removed."

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, right. And I'm the President of the United States .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Dan - I'm sure you will make a better job than the last one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about that... "With this bill, Timbuktu (that's the "middle of nowhere" for those who don't know) is hereby outlawed. Bombing will commence in five minutes."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I've been quiet for a week or so to see what happens next. I received my second letter notice from Getty yesterday. To date I have received two letters and one phone call and have ignored all Getty requests to contact me. Can anybody share any recent developments on your own situation in the U.S.? Has anybody been turned over to Getty collections yet or has anybody received any court notice taken further? I have yet to speak with an attorney and hope to get some advice from this forum on next steps. Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of a small restaurant (older couple) who disregarded all notices, because they thought it was a scam, and didn't really understand. Their file was fowarded to a collection agency in Florida - they reside in the north east. the amount was for 1 image $1000, getty reduced it to $850. It was paid. However in retrospect, knowing what I know now, I would suggested they ignore it, and once it went to collections, and they should have told them the bill is in dispute. ...Jared, how did you obtain your images, if you don't mind me asking? Have you received them from a 3rd party site, cd, directly from getty? Did your image have watermark? Have you checked it in photoshop with the digimarc filter to see if it has an embedded copyright belonging to getty? Have you written Getty asking them to provide proof of ownership?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getty is invoicing me for six images - 5 of which I had on my site, and the sixth image is unrelated altogether and their screeen shot was from an entirely different site. I received my images from a third party site three years ago and I was under the impression that the images were free. The images contain no watermark, nor had I heard of Getty until receiving these recent notices. I immediately removed the images from my site upon the first notice and refuse to pay $5,000 (or $6,000). I spot checked a few of the images and they were available on Getty for $100-$200 per image. I have made not attempt to contact Getty for fear that the call and letters will snowball upon my acknowledgement of their notices. I've been following this forum thread for several weeks and it seems there are several other individuals in my same situation. Do we continue to ignore Getty? Is it in our interest to acknowledge their letter and attempt to "get out"? Is it in our interest to solicit an attorney?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://jocelynsspace.blogspot.com/20...ial-debut.html

I wonder why this website received a different type of notification, and the date is somewhat recent, june of '06 - does not look like they are being charged for not licensing 8 images belonging to getty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of October 16th I received this FAMOUS letter from Getty images myself. I have spent the better part of the morning reading all of these threads and I am feeling a lot better about my predicament. I too am just a small fish in a great big pond and wonder why this seems to be the norm throughout this topic.

I wish I would have found this post before calling them in response to the letter but I did what I thought was best. Like many others here, these images that they are accusing me of using without permission came from a 3rd party some years ago. I will not bore you with all of the details as it is the same as most of the stories in here. I will say tha I build web sites as a hobby but it has over the years turned into so much more. This is not to say that I am a large thriving business, but I do fairly well at it. Still a little fish in the big pond though, I can assure you.

So my first conversation with Getty was, "Are you friking kidding me with this $4000.00 + tax ($4,330.00) invoice?" I told her I went to the site and the images were only $380 (or there abouts) and even if I was going to pay this bill it would not be anything close to that number. After all, you can't get blood from a turnip. She politely told me that she was able to offer me an additional 5% to the already 15% offer in the letter. I literally just laughed and told here that I didn't think she was hearing me correctly. "I don't have the money, this is just a hobby for me. I received these images from a 3rd party years ago." Yada yada yada.

She said she would talk to her manager and see what she could do. She returned the call a few days later and offered 50% off. Still I told her, Sorry, don't have it. She then wanted me to send in some money but I told her that I am not sending in anything until I get a letter stating that I am free and clear of all legal obligations before I send in a cent. The conversation ended with her having to go and talk to her manager some more and she would call me back in a few days. Well it has been 4 days now and I have not herd a peep so we will just wait and see.

After reading this post though I may just reduce my offer 20% per day. That sounds fair considering what there markup is. Don't you think?

Perhaps Getty is just collecting all of the monies that they can before making some major changes to their business plan. Since the advent of the digital camera and the ever increasing number of photographers snapping images, much more talent is being made available through other sources such as iStockPhoto.com. There is a huge market out there for lower "Getty quality" images out there. Getty seems to be a bit behind the ball and is trying to catch up not by innovation, but by buying it. After all, they just purchased iStockPhoto for 50 Million dollars so they will need all the money they can collect and at $1000 increments, it may not take too long. My guess is its not working out to well for them.

I will be monitoring this one for a while.
    Houston Brown
    Split Light Designs
    Bringing your ideas to light.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Htown - thanks for the note and please keep up informed of your progress. Has anybody else reached the level of collections or court documents from Getty? I expect that I'll be turned over to collections in the short term and any advice is appreciated. I know to reply to any collectors that the invoice is in dispute - but can anybody provide any further experience on this matter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jared, are you in the US?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes indeed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I have also had one of the kind letters from getty today. Stating they want 1600. Im from the UK and from reading this forum it looks like they have taken no-one to court. Id be interested if they have. I found it outragious how they can give you no notice for taking off the photo but instead just issue a bil for over a thousand pounds.

I'm happy to fight this all the way, theres no chance they are getting any money. I wasnt aware of any copyrights from the photo and instantly took it off after recieving their letter.

I agree no delt collection can be made unless its been proved in court and if it hasnt then its totaly illigal. After not reading this first i did send them a letter stating they cant issue a bill until they have given 10 days notice. But from now on im just going to ignore their threats and pay them nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent... let me pull up a PM I sent to someone about the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Dealing with Collection Agencies - What You Need to Know About the FDCPA and FCRA

WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ PERTAINS ONLY TO PERSONS (NOT COMPANIES) LIVING INSIDE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WHO ARE DEALING WITH DEBT COLLECTORS AND DEBT COLLECTION AGENCIES ATTEMPTING TO COLLECT ON PERSONAL AND HOUSEHOLD DEBTS (THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO BUSINESS RELATED DEBTS). IF YOU ARE OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES, PLEASE DEFER TO YOUR COUNTRY'S LAWS. RESIDENTS OF (AND COMPANIES CONDUCTING BUSINESS INSIDE) THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITIAN SHOULD READ THIS POST INSTEAD, AS IT WILL COVER THOSE ON THE "OTHER SIDE OF THE POND" (THE ATLANTIC OCEAN). ALSO, I AM NOT A LAWYER. PLEASE SEEK THE ADVICE AND COUNSEL OF AN ATTORNEY WHO IS LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW IN YOUR JURISDICTION. AS WITH ALL THINGS, LAWS CHANGE AND WHAT I TYPE HERE MAY BE DATED BY THE TIME YOU READ THIS. THANK YOU.

Collection agencies are required by FEDERAL LAW to follow the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) (this link is to a PDF file) to the letter. The law is VERY clear about this.

For example, if Getty Images sends a collection agency after you, and the agency makes the initial contact with you via phone, they have five business days from the date they made the initial contact (via telephone) to send you a written collections notice via US Mail (that's the United States Postal Service, not UPS or Fed-Ex). If they try to call you again, you can sue them in federal court for harrassment (well, actually for violating the FDCPA, but I'm just typing in general terms here - I'll deal with the specifics and the semantics of the FDCPA in a bit), and seek up to $1,000 in statutory damages (which, by law, are tax-free - also note that the Court has the final say in how much statutory relief you are legally entitled to; from here on in I will assume the maximum in damages for the sake of this discussion) plus recovery of your legal fees (attorney's fees, court filing costs, etc). The collection agency would also be barred from contacting you regarding the debt (the one that they got from Getty Images) ever again. If they comply with the law and send you a written collections notice, they then have to wait 30 days by law before contacting you again. With one notable exception, if they contact you within the 30 day "grace period" you can sue them in federal court for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (again, seeking $1,000 in statutory damages, plus recovery of your legal fees).

Now, let's suppose the collection agency calls you; you tell them to send you a written collections notice, and they comply. They also do not call you back (either at home, on your cell phone, or at your place of employment). Now what? This is where the FDCPA really comes in and starts to bare its teeth (and my, what big teeth it has). The FDCPA says you can send them a "validation letter" which is essentially a cease-and-desist order. This is where things really get interesting. In a FDCPA validation letter, you are demanding that they prove their identity, their legal ability to lawfully collect debts in your state (if you were in Illinois, then they'd have to prove that they can lawfully collect the debt in Illinois - the state they are in DOES NOT MATTER ONE IOTA), the amount of the debt, how they acquired the debt (did the creditor assign the debt to them, or did they buy it; if they bought it, where did they buy it from, when was it bought, and for how much?), among other things. You also state that they are not to contact you via any means other than US Mail; failure to comply will result in a federal lawsuit on grounds of violating the FDCPA (again, the $1,000 in statutory damages comes into play). Also, the only thing they can do when they reply is to answer your questions (this is the "notable exception" I referred to earlier). If they continue their collection activities (and the words "This communication is from a debt collector. This letter is an attempt to collect a debt." counts as a collection attempt), then they are in violation of the FDCPA and can be sued in federal court (these types of cases are often open-shut, with the defendants being able to do nothing but drop their jaw and cut you a check). Note that lawyers and law firms typically handle collections activity as an additional means to generate residual income for their businesses (and let's face it, law firms are businesses). Even if a lawyer contacts you regarding a debt, if the words "This communication is from a debt collector. This letter is an attempt to collect a debt." are on the correspondance they send you, they are acting as debt collectors and are therefore subject to the FDCPA. If they're not in the letter/invoice they send you, hire an attorney, because chances are pretty darn good that they're in violation of the FDCPA.

The best way to send a validation request letter is to deliver the letter via Certified Mail with a Return Receipt (it will cost you $4.42 at the post office, IIRC). You don't have to restrict the delivery of the letter to the addressee (Mr. John Doe, Vice President of Collections for example). Anyone who works at the collection agency will do - even the janitor or (God forbid) a temp worker. This way you know they received it, and you will have proof that it was sent. Be sure to keep a copy of the sales receipt from the post office, a signed copy of your validation letter, and the delivery confirmation slip (it's a green piece of construction-type paper) with your collections notices should it prove to be necessary for you to take legal action against the bill collector. (Important Tip: Never send an FDCPA validation request letter - or any other correspondance for that matter - to the PO Box that they print on the form letter (or the envelope). By law, bill collectors are required to provide their actual business address in all correspondance. Send it there instead. Not only will this tweak their nose, but you'll also have a much stronger case should you have to sue them.)

The vast majority of collection agencies will either ignore the letter and continue their collection attempts (which will usually get you $1,000 tax free) or just stop their collections activities. I have yet to hear of a case where a debt collector actually properly followed through with an FDCPA validation letter. Also note that a validation letter is a legal document and the bill collector will usually have to pay additional damages to the Court (which usually gets passed on to you - I came close to having this done, but the defendants in my case, which was a class action, were able to just barely dodge that bullet - and yes, I was one of two class representatives in that lawsuit) if they cannot produce the letter you sent them during the lawsuit's discovery process.

[Addendum: If a debt collector tries to sue you for sending a validation letter, do not worry. The law clearly states that any litigation filed against you for exercising your rights under the FDCPA and FCRA is not only harrassment and abuse, but also a violation of the FDCPA since it falls under "attempts to collect a debt" - the Court will either dismiss their lawsuit out-right, or will enter a judgment into your favor and order the bill collector to pay you $1,000 in statutory damages, plus other compensatory relief, such as reimbursement for your attorney's fees and, in rare cases, even actual damages (the award of actual damages depends on the judge presiding over the case obviously - some are blantantly pro-consumer and will relish in the thought of exercising their judicial power to make debt collectors squeal like pigs while others will just give you statutory damages and tell you to get the hell out of their courtroom).]

The debt collector will also try to place a black mark on your credit report (it's part of their modus operandi). If you had sent them a FDCPA validation letter and they report you to the credit bureaus anyway, they will not only be in violation of the FDCPA (because you are disputing their claim to be able to legally collect the debt from you in the first place), but also the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) as well. You'll be able to take them to court and sue them for violations of the FDCPA ($1,000), violations of the FCRA ($1,250-$3,500 in statutory damages for each mark against you filed with each credit reporting bureau), as well as collections fraud (damages are up the judge).

For example, if a debt collector files the Getty Images invoice with each of the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion), you will be able to collect up to $10,500 in statutory damages for the FCRA violations alone, plus an additional $1,000 for the FDCPA violation, recover all of your attorney's fees and court filing costs, and possibly even be entitled to punitive damages as well.

One other thing. If a debt collector knows you are being represented by an attorney, and they try to contact you directly by any means whatsoever, they will be in violation of the FDCPA and you will be able to sue them for (once again) $1,000 in statutory damages. In rare cases, you may even be able to recover ACTUAL damages (this nearly happened to me last year). The actual damages being the amount that the debt collector is trying to collect from you (either what they claim to be the "total" amount or a "settlement offer").

Now, you'll probably remember I mentioned something about FDCPA class action lawsuits. How do they work? Well, if a collection agency is repeatedly acting like it's above the law (and only an attorney will be able to determine this when investigating your complaint) they may offer to file a lawsuit against the bill collector on your behalf as a class action (in which case you would be not only the plaintiff, but also the class representative if the motion for a class action lawsuit is approved by the Court). FDCPA class actions are almost always prosecuted in the federal court system, and can recover (for the class) up to $500,000 or 5% of the total amount (which ever is less) in statutory damages, recovery of all actual damages (that's money us poor people paid to the bill collector - it's literally a refund that gets paid to us directly, rather than to the class), recovery of all attorney's fees, court filing costs and other legal expenses (this is on top of the judgment for the class, which means the bill collector has to pay all the legal fees on top of whatever the class gets), and even punitive damages as well (this part is up to the Court's discretion).

I mentioned that the Class gets the money from the judgment (or a class settlement). But what about you, the class representative? What do you get? Well, the lawyer gets his money straight from the defendant, so that won't come out of whatever the class gets. What you (as the class rep - or leader as it's also known) will typically get between 10-20% of whatever the class gets before the damages (or settlement) is disbursed (given) to the class members. Keep in mind that if there are multiple class leaders, they do not each get between 10-20% of the pie, but would have to share that percentage among each other. So if you have two class leaders, and the Court determines that the Class leaders get 20%, they would each get half of that (10% each). Actual damages and recovery of attorneys fees do not factor into this. Just statutory and punitive damages.

And that's just the federal law. I'm sure your state has laws on the books that will be able to protect you as well (also, given the wording of the FDCPA - and IIRC the FCRA - you can even use the federal courts as a preferred venue for violations of state law as long as you include the state-level violations in your federal complaint).

I'm going to include a sample FDCPA validation request letter below for you to use as a template. I'm leaving the state-specific parts out, since I don't know what state you live in (and believe that you have to do some of the work for yourself). This was mashed-up from several online templates I found a couple years ago when I was going through this myself. My lawyer, who is employed with the Law Offices of Edelman, Combs, Latturner and Goodwin (in Chicago, Illinois) said that the letter was over-kill, and that (essentially) if the bill collector even so much as sneezed I'd have an open-shut case against them.

Here's the letter, in all it's glory (minus the parts dealing with Illinois law). Just be sure to change the parts that are italicized (and in red) to regular text (meaning get rid of the italics and change the text color to black) and replace them with your pertinent information (your name, your account number with the creditor, the date your collections notice was dated, the date you received the letter, and so on - and yes, replace "Your Signature" with a blank line so you have room for your signature, since you do have to sign it). There are also three "notes" in there (in red italicized text). Remove those as well .

EXAMPLE FDCPA VALIDATION REQUEST LETTER - THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE

(Today’s Date)

(Your Name)
    (123 Your Street Address)
    (Your City, ST 01234)

(ABC Collections Services, LLC.)
    (123 NotOnYourLife Ave)
    (Chicago, IL 60654)

Re: (Name of Creditor)
    Acct # (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX)
    Amount: ($X,XXX.xx)

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is being sent to you in response to a notice dated (Date), which was received on (Date). Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. 1692g 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.

This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you.

At this time I will also inform you that if your offices have reported invalidated information to any of the three (3) major Credit Bureaus (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion) this action might constitute fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent I will not hesitate in bringing legal action against you for the following:

1.) Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act
    2.) Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
    3.) Defamation of Character

If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in the following Declaration, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist.

Please provide me, in writing, with the following:

1.) What the money you claim I owe is for.
    2.) How you acquired this account. Was it assigned or purchased?
    3.) Explain and show me how you calculated what you claim I owe.
    4.) Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you claim I owe.
    5.) Provide me with a full copy of my payment history.
    6.) Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable.
    7.) Identify the original creditor.
    8.) Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account. (Note: this will vary with each state, and may not even apply to you)
    9.) Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent. (Note: this will vary with each state, and may not even apply to you)

Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel for suit. This includes any listing of any information to a credit reporting bureau or agency that could be inaccurate or invalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is.

If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within thirty (30) days from the date of your receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me, in writing, immediately.

I am also requesting, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices to my home, my cellular phone, or to my place of employment. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to, computer generated calls and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, it will be considered harassment and I will have no choice but to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by the United States Postal Service (USPS).

It would be advisable that you assure that your records are in order before I am forced to take legal action. This is an attempt to correct your records; any information obtained shall be used for that purpose.

Best Regards,

(Your Signature)
    (Your Printed Name - Note: Use your type-writer or word processing program to "type" your name. Do not print it by hand.)
    Last edited by Dan Schulz; Jun 7, 2008 at 07:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to share all of this great information with us. I hope I will not have to use it but I am prepared to do so if the need arises.

Thanks again.
    Houston Brown
    Split Light Designs
    Bringing your ideas to light.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by JaredS
    OK, I've been quiet for a week or so to see what happens next. I received my second letter notice from Getty yesterday. To date I have received two letters and one phone call and have ignored all Getty requests to contact me. Can anybody share any recent developments on your own situation in the U.S.? Has anybody been turned over to Getty collections yet or has anybody received any court notice taken further? I have yet to speak with an attorney and hope to get some advice from this forum on next steps. Thanks.
    Jared, did you talk to Getty on the phone or did they leave a voice mail message? I don't know if they have tried to phone me because I won't answer the phone when the caller ID box shows unknown name, unknown phone # and I have received a few of those lately. I received two letters to far and have ignored them. I really don't know what the best course of action is to do at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SydneyJen, just ignore Getty Images and let them stew in their own pot of boiling hot lava.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received my first letter from Getty in July to my company. Same situation as many of you had. i paid an contractor to build a site and they used a ton of getty images that they found somewhere (for mixed images that served as the background for a thin spacing bar on the pages, didnt even need them). Really sucks. Whats more, when i received the letter i was in the process of shutting down the business, the next week the site was gone. So i didnt have any issue taking them down. I had talked to someone there on the phone and over 2 emails, explianed the company was a hobby (was in school) and didnt have the money they were asking for, the company (which is a corporation pry the only smart thing i did) didnt even make that much in revenue in the year. they didnt seem to care, they werent willing to negoiciate much. so i talked with an lawyer that my family uses and he said leave it be, they cant get anything if the corp doest have anything. so i did just that. closed down as planed, and stoped responding. in late aug i got a second notice, exactly the same doc as before. ignored that.
    Yesterday, i received a letter from a debt collector, demanding payment and threating legal action. "Your continued failure to pay the total amount listed above may result in further costs for recovery of the amount due. Such actions may include the initiation of court proceedings to secure the license fee and related costs." The letter was also fairly specific to Getty, having never received a debt collection before i dont know what to compare it to. But they talk about unauthorized use of Getty image, license, etc. that said, i have mutile images. and the letter is written singular image. Can they come after me for more then what is actually due?

Back to the lawyer next week, and hopefuly we will try the validation letter, or what ever corse of action he sugguests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold on. A now defunct corporation hired (in good faith) an independant contractor to build a Web site for it (the corporation, not you), the contractor illegally used some images from Getty, and now Getty is trying to collect from YOU? Not only that but the debt collector is trying to collect from you?

Sue them. Just sue them for harrassment. Talk to your attorney, show him my post above (and this one), and ask him to file suit against Getty Images and the debt collector for harrassment and violating the FDCPA respectively. I hate to say it, but sending a validation request letter (while a good idea, since the burden of proof would be on the debt collector to prove that they can legally collect the debt from YOU rather than the CORPORATION - which they can't anyway unless they manage to pierce the corporation's protective legal veil first) might not even be worth the effort.

Though it wouldn't hurt to do it, just to tweak their noses and make them sing high soprano six ways to Sunday in a leaky boat just before they take the plunge over Niagra Falls...

Talk to your attorney though. He (or she) should rightfully have the final say in this, not little ole' me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all need to tell UK Watchdog about getty

I have had one of these letters, thought about making them an offer but after reading this forum I am going to tell them to take me to the UK county Court(which they cannot claim back their costs ha ha ha)It will cost them more in legal fees to get a single 1 from me.

I would advise all UK people to report them to the Watchdog tv program, the more complaints they get ,the more chance of them taking up the story.

The BBC use getty images so it will be interesting to see what happens !!!!
    Last edited by uk_guy; Oct 29, 2006 at 14:12. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it would be better to ignore them entirely.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz
    Actually, it would be better to ignore them entirely.
    Do you think writing to them could make them think that they have me on their fishing hook ?

I am just scared of them adding collection charges if I ignore them
    Last edited by uk_guy; Oct 29, 2006 at 14:42. Reason: addition