SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me. We all feel it. I've already cried on Dans shoulder. We collectively must get this information to the "outside web". Many other people are searching for information and dealing with this as well. It took me 5 days to find this forum. Within 5 days most people either settle or ignore, as they are new to this harassment as well.

Go to webspawner.com tripod.com or any free website you know of, were you can voice.

For some reason, blog sites and forums don't get picked up well by search engines.

Pulling up just "Getty images" in the search engines, just pulls up thousands of sights with Getty Images on them.

HINT: Use "actual phrases" from your letters for best search engine results

Perfect example: " RE Unauthorized Use of Getty Images Photograph "

OR "Unauthorized Use of Getty Images"

-- That's what I was looking for -- in search engines

Most likely there are hundreds if not thousands of other people who have received this bogus letter and invoice and are freaking out because they had no clue.

We need to inform these people. Anyone have connections with the media??

Imagine the voice of 500 people instead of 2 or 3 people in a class action lawsuit.

Don't forget: Someone has opened a site at http://www.battlinggoliath.com
    I don't know of this person or company, yet its another avenue with an easy domain name that new people can remember & express their situations with GETTY. How this all washes out, who knows, yet the larger the group, the louder the voice.

I need a drink. Peace

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....anyone need a job?

http://jobsearch.monster.co.uk/getjo...xgettyfrx&ss=0

....seems to be a large operation!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is complete BS - I'm maintaining my position that I will ignore all future letters and phone calls. I don't have the time to deal with this crap.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting this thread ranked higher on search engines

For those who are distressed that this thread about Getty Images is not easily findable on the search engines, there's an extraordinarily simple way to make that happen. If everyone here who is affected by the Getty letters were to create a link from a prominent page on their website with the anchor text "Getty Images" and point it to this SitePoint thread's address: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...2&page=1&pp=25, the thread would shoot to the top of the first page of Google, Yahoo!, MSN, etc.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getty Images sure would hate that, now wouldn't they?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 4440500
    Trust me. We all feel it. I've already cried on Dans shoulder. We collectively must get this information to the "outside web". Many other people are searching for information and dealing with this as well. It took me 5 days to find this forum. Within 5 days most people either settle or ignore, as they are new to this harassment as well.

Go to webspawner.com tripod.com or any free website you know of, were you can voice.

For some reason, blog sites and forums don't get picked up well by search engines.

Pulling up just "Getty images" in the search engines, just pulls up thousands of sights with Getty Images on them.

HINT: Use "actual phrases" from your letters for best search engine results

Perfect example: " RE Unauthorized Use of Getty Images Photograph "

OR "Unauthorized Use of Getty Images"

-- That's what I was looking for -- in search engines

Most likely there are hundreds if not thousands of other people who have received this bogus letter and invoice and are freaking out because they had no clue.

We need to inform these people. Anyone have connections with the media??

Imagine the voice of 500 people instead of 2 or 3 people in a class action lawsuit.

Don't forget: Someone has opened a site at http://www.battlinggoliath.com
    I don't know of this person or company, yet its another avenue with an easy domain name that new people can remember & express their situations with GETTY. How this all washes out, who knows, yet the larger the group, the louder the voice.

I need a drink. Peace
    How about battlinggettyimages.com? gettyimagesclasslawsuit.com would get some attention. There must be many out there who are getting letters from Getty. Its time to fight back!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works for me. battlinggettyimages.com. Yet.... Why spend the money. You never know it may be copyrighted

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Getty going to go after this person for posting a Getty Pic in their blog?
    http://www.ideagrove.com/blog/2006/0...try-getty.html

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4440500
    Works for me. battlinggettyimages.com. Yet.... Why spend the money. You never know it may be copyrighted
    Won't a site about Getty's unsavory business practices be found quicker with the name Getty in the domain? If its copyrighted it will be on record.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't let Getty harass you

I have received those same demanding letters from Getty Images that many of you have. I have done nothing wrong and I refuse to let a company harass me or anyone else like they are doing. This has "class action lawsuit" written all over it....per the legal advice I have received. If you want to make some noise....PLEASE, PLEASE send letters and make phone calls to your local Attorney General's office, to the Washington State Attorney Gen. office, the Washington Better Business Bureau and to the local and/or national media. Call ABC, CBS, and NBC news and tell them what is going on. Unless we ALL start screaming about this to whoever will listen.....they will not stop. How can they harass people who have done nothing wrong? How can they send you an invoice to collect on a debt if they are NOT licensed debt collectors? Check with your local government offices and find out if Getty is even licensed to do this. If not, they can and will be fined by these entities!! The local governmental offices WILL get involved if you will let them know what is happening...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sickofit, if you're in the US and received a letter or a phone call from a debt collector regarding the "Getty debt" then do a quick Google search for "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act", "FDCPA", "Fair Credit Reporting Act", and "FCRA"

If you don't find anything useful, post here, and I'll provide you with the information you need.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I am in the US...but have only received harassing letters from Getty Images, not from a debt collector. fyi....if a person does not have "proof" from Getty that they actually "own" the pictures in question even after you have requested that from them numerous times, I am being told that you are under no obligation to them. I do have proof that I had the right to use the pictures in question, but from another source....however, I am not required to give that info over to Getty, if Getty is not willing to provide their proof of claim first....THEY are the ones sending out invoices.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looked up getty on the better business bureau web site
    here is the link that I found
    http://www.thebbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=37000916

May make sense to file some complaints, ...no proof of copyright provided to individual being billed, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly sickofit. The burden of proof is on Getty to prove ownership of the images before they can invoice you for any unauthorized use.

I couldn't quite tell if you had received any collections notices from a debt collector or not so I referred you to the FDCPA and FCRA just in case.

At any rate, it'll be useful information should you get a notice (or a phone call) from a debt collector regarding this, or any other matter .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What can happen?

Does anyone know what the worst thing that can happen to you if you comply to take off any images, but decline to pay the unreasonable fees? Can google drop you? Can your host drop you? What is DMCA and how does that impact the situation?

Thanks...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richmondrebel
    Does anyone know what the worst thing that can happen to you if you comply to take off any images, but decline to pay the unreasonable fees? Can google drop you? Can your host drop you? What is DMCA and how does that impact the situation?

Thanks...
    Your host can drop you if Getty writes to them and they don't feel like dealing with Getty so they will take the easy way out and drop you. Don't know about Google though.

DMCA can be found here: http://www.google.com/dmca.html

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

comment on last post

I think what richmondrebel was saying if he ( does take down the images ) but does not pay the extortion fee, if his host ISP will take him down.

I personally dont think so, since you no longer have any images anyone can claim as copyright. Anyone can pipe in with your comments.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone at collection stage yet?

I think we all received our letters within that last 45 days. I think this is their trial 1st run at extortion, yet just in case anyone has seen developments beyond the 1st letter.

1st question. Anyone been called or mailed by a collection agency yet?
    2nd question. Anyone been notified that your extortion invoice has been increased due to lack of acknowledgement?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...to answer your question 4440500, one of the getty notices went to collections, it was a mom and pop type operation, and the owners thought it was a scam, and just ignored it. (it was one bill totalling $1000)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amazing

GETTY sent an invoice for 1k to collections? To what, maybe get $200 after all is said and done, IF the mom and pop dont fight it? Pathetic

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most serious impact on us??? $$$ or Google

I think we all feel that we were found guilty without a trial or even an arrest... No warings at all. The $1,000 is stiff when you didn't realize that an infringement to a copyright was being done. I think these steps need to be taken:

- Inform them that the image has been removed from the web site
    - Tell them you are investing the accusation but have no memory of such a use of a Getty Image by yourself or your contractor
    - See what they say... The $1,000 represents a significant amount of my site's total revenue (my site is a hobby to help non-profits)
    - If they continue to push, then you might need to pay to get them from reporting you to Google or your host if you care about the viability of your site
    - What if there are other images that are also on your site that you are unaware of? Will Getty agree that the $1,000 will protect you here also?
    - Take notes on all your correspondence, in case a class action suite is in order...

What else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore Getty, don't reply to any correspondance you get from them. Take down the images, keep all your correspondance and hire an attorney.

Now if you went to Getty, got the images without paying for them, and used them on your site (or a client's site), you're pretty much screwed. But again, Getty would have to send you a notice first informing you of the violation before invoicing you, IIRC.

Just keep in mind that I am not a lawyer. Best advice I can give is to talk to one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to a copyright lawyer on the phone when this started. He never heard of Getty Images. He said $1000 was a reasonable price and talking to him would probably cost more than $1000. It figures.

I have not received another email or letter, but hey, it's still early.

The idea of Getty Images calling a hosting company because a website owner did not pay an invoice is not logical, but obviously Getty is not logical.

I saw the employment ad posted. I need a job <grin>.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by jshumko
    I talked to a copyright lawyer on the phone when this started. He never heard of Getty Images. He said $1000 was a reasonable price and talking to him would probably cost more than $1000. It figures.

I have not received another email or letter, but hey, it's still early.

The idea of Getty Images calling a hosting company because a website owner did not pay an invoice is not logical, but obviously Getty is not logical.

I saw the employment ad posted. I need a job <grin>.
    Getty won't call your hosting company because you did not pay your invoice, they will call because you have a copyrighted image on your website or had one. Read about copyright issues on the TOS pages of any hosting company out there. You are right: Getty is not logical!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone needs to find/extract the water mark pixels? in the getty images. Then have everyone put those water marks into their own images.