SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: form feedback

Hybrid View

jbm
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I don't have permission to run any CGI scripts on my server, and I need to get feedback from a form one way or another. What is a good substitute for CGI?

Thanks,
    jbm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can try using the mailto:YOU@you_site.com tag.

ie.
    <form action="post" value="mailto:YOU@your_site.com">

I think this will work but my coding is rusty and i'm still kind of beat up from my illness. double check it.

------------------
    Eric Jones
    http://www.quixtar.com
    IBO# 1121278
    E-mail me for a 1-1 talk about setting up your dream business.
    mailto:jonese@gci-net.com

jbm
    jonese,
    i hope you feel better!

I'll give that one a try, but is there anything that would do nifty stuff (format the output nicely, etc) like cgi's would?

jbm

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isn't it <form action="post" method="mailto:...">? I'm not sure...havn't tried it recently.

Doesn't your host have some pre-configured scripts that are set on your server? Most free hosts give you 2 or 3 scripts, like a form-mail program, guestbook and counter. Maybe not, but I'm just wondering.

There are some free remotely hosted form processing things (format the text and send it back thru email). You can go to... http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Program...rm_Processing/
    ...to see a list of them. From what that says, a good free service looks like www.Freedback.com . I havn't used it, but it got a rather good rating on CGI-Resources.

Hope it helps

------------------
    John Schrom
    Webmaster - 4Webmasters

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it's <form method="post" action="mailto:...">

This method is working only if the clients default mail program is configured and it shows an ugly message in NS (don't remember about IE) so most of the users will press cancel

------------------
    Alan Mendelevich aka ailon
    New! ArticleCentral.com - The content directory for web professionals. Monitoring hundreds of web development related sites, daily.
    Visit MEGOPhotos - Quality photos for FREE

jbm
    Unfortunately my host doesn't provide stuff like that, due to all kinds of security issues I guess, so I might have to stick with remotely hosted scripts. Wouldn't it slow down my page download time, though?

jbm

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what? remotely hosted scripts? no, those might speed up your page download time, because they're hosted somewhere else, and their servers are normally pretty fast. It shouldn't really effect your download time.

------------------
    John Schrom
    Webmaster - 4Webmasters

jbm
    hm, thanks. I am looking at FormMail right now - sounds pretty good, I am gonna give it a try.

jbm