SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe?

I've got my first real problem with Windows 2000.
    I had just finished doing installing updates from MS, restarted as prompted and I get the error "unable to find Boot.ini, booting from C:\winnt". It goes to the next screen that sais "Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe, reinstall this file to continue". (I believe that's about what it said.) I haven't been able to boot to the command prompt in order to fix anything. The Windows 2000 CD prompts me for a boot disk, If I try to have it repair the installation it states it cannot find windows. I don't have a boot disk, assumed the installation CD was all I needed. I even resorted to just reinstalling windows 2000 but I had upgraded from the OEM installed windows 98 which is only on the restore CD, the installation asks for a windows cd to verify the upgrade.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you borrow a Win98 cd from somebody just for the verification process. This should be legal because you own the license to the software.

Are you only running Win2k or dual booting?

Take a look at this knowledge base article

http://support.microsoft.com/support...CH&SPR=WIN2000

You will probably need to create startup disks from another installation of Win2k, so you can get to a command line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could borrow a cd, but that's really a last resort.
    It seems like an easy fix if I could get it to the command prompt. It's not a dual boot, just 2k alone. I don't know anyone that has windows 2000. Anyone know where I might be able to download a boot disk from?

Thanks.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure someone can come up with win2k boot disks. I will start making them from my computer and will post a link if no one else jumps in.

<scratches head> Where are my floppies at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correction, thats an Emergency Repair Disk that you need. Just made one, hope it works.

Win2K ERD

Just extract the files onto a floppy and reboot

Method Two
    Use the repair process to correct inconsistencies in the Boot.ini file. To do so, follow these steps:
    Start your computer using the three Windows NT Setup diskettes. When prompted, type R to begin the repair process.

Insert the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) in the floppy drive when you are prompted.

When prompted, enable only the Inspect Startup Environment option to correct inconsistencies in the Boot.ini file.

Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the repair process.
    Last edited by moospot; Nov 6, 2001 at 09:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting that, I'll download it when I get home from work and try it out.

Originally posted by moospot
    <scratches head> Where are my floppies at?
    Most of my floppies are AOL disks or old DOS shareware games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get it to work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ERD's are different for each machine. So it probably won't work.

I wonder why it did that. Did the service pack install complete successfully? All the way, or was it canceled abruptly?

You said you tried to repair the install, with no luck. How about upgrade? There are 3 options when you boot off the win2k CD: repair, upgrade, fresh install. THat is typically the order I use when I am troubleshooting.

I tend to think the c:\winnt folder was deleted or somehow got corrupted. If you have a spare HDD laying around, make it the master, and your win2k the slave. Boot to the new one, and make sure all files are there.

Sheesh, not sure what else to tell you .... good luck
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Renegade
    ERD's are different for each machine. So it probably won't work.
    I was wondering about that, but I figured it was worth a try. I unchecked the 'backup registry' option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had chance to try it out yet. I was rebuilding the computer since it wasn't working and just finished up last night. I'm doing a dual boot Linux/Win2k now, each on it's own drive.

"I wonder why it did that. Did the service pack install complete successfully? All the way, or was it canceled abruptly?"

I'm not sure what happened, it had completed and prompted me to reboot and after wouldn't start up. It may have been something I had done earlier since I hadn't restarted for a while but I do so much to the thing I wouldn't remember.

"You said you tried to repair the install, with no luck. How about upgrade? There are 3 options when you boot off the win2k CD: repair, upgrade, fresh install."

Repair said it couldn't find a windows volume.
    Upgrade asks me for a Windows 95 or 98 CD, I only have Win 95 on 3.5" disks. The original Windows 98 OS is only on the Restore CD.

"I tend to think the c:\winnt folder was deleted or somehow got corrupted. If you have a spare HDD laying around, make it the master, and your win2k the slave. Boot to the new one, and make sure all files are there."

I'm thinking somehow the boot.ini file is either gone or messed up. I'm not sure what the deal is with ntoskrnl.exe

As for trying out the spare HDD, i've got one extra that I could probably restore Windows 95 or 98 to and make it master, unless there's a away to reach the drive through Linux.

Thanks for all the help, i'll get it working one way or another sooner or later.