SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make CSS Menu hover over top of form elements and flash

I am using the son of suckerfish drop menus and I am having problems where flash animations and form elements seem to be on top of or showing through my menu items when my submenus appear. How can I stop this so that the the menus are on top of my form elements and flash animations?

Carpe Diem = Fish of the Day fisherboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried applying big z-index numbers to the menu and small numbers to the items the menu overlaps? I'm not familiar with the code you're using so I can't say whether you've done this already.
    fisherboy
    Web Site Design

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Form elements (selects) will always be drawn on top of your dropdowns - there's nothing you can do about it except move the form elements out of the way. Using z-index as fisherboy says might fix the problem with flash content though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually there is a solution! Of sorts..
    These two tech notes from Adobe / Macromedia explain how to get a CSS based container to show above a flash movie
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_15523
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_14201

It works in IE and Firefox

Evidently what you do is set one param element to param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> and then you place the wmode="transparent" inside the embed tag as well. The embed tag makes it work in Firefox an the param tag makes it work in IE

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been having the same problem getting a drop-down menu to appear over a flash element. i've tried the wmode=transparent setting - seems to help in firefox but not in ie.

here's the development site: http://lakeridge.cmswebsolutions2.com/index.php

any suggestions? should i try a different method for the drop-down menu? it needs to be dynamically generated which is why i went with this method.

thanks

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojan80
    I am using the son of suckerfish drop menus and I am having problems where flash animations and form elements seem to be on top of or showing through my menu items when my submenus appear. How can I stop this so that the the menus are on top of my form elements and flash animations?
    We've experienced problems in FF like this before. Like fisherboy mentioned, putting z-indexes on the menus and classes helped fix this problem for us.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    annoyingly, none of the fixes i've found in various posts have worked. i've set the z-indexes and changed the wmode to transparent but no luck.

i know people have been able to get this to work. i can't figure out why my site is not complying. :-(

most of the content work is done on this site and i don't have any flexibility to change the site design. it's supposed to launch the end of next week so i'm scrambling to find a resolution.

has anyone used a different mult level menu system that's worked with flash?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update: i switched my menu system to the one i found here http://www.twinhelix.com/dhtml/fsmenu/. just working on some final tweaking of the stylesheet for IE (of course) but no flash issues. yeah!