SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Displaying site thumbnails that are updated

Its pretty easy to see both what I want to do and the problem I am having here.

I would like to have an updated snapshot of my clients websites displayed next to their link. Nothing fancy but I figure its a nice visual effect that I dont have to maintain .. if I could only find a place that keeps the thumbs updated with any reasonable efficiency.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There may be some sort of automatic screenshot service out there but I doubt there'd be one for free. One way to get around it is to just post screenshots of small sections of the screen at 100% size so you only ever see a small portion of the page that never changes. That's what I do for my portfolio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a good way around it but I dont want to maintain that if I could just get these thumbs to display.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screenshotting a site is not an easy task to automate.

There are services out there that do it, but they arent automatic, you have to log in to use them (with human-sensing forms) and they cost money.

There are no custom scripts to do it, because its more that that...for it to be automated you pretty much need a *nix machine running X (the graphics system) and a browser that never moves, then the script could direct the browser and screenshot its contents...

Again though, not cost effective...its really a better idea to do it manually, it isnt that much work, and you can make sure the screenshot is logical and shows off the best part of the site, not just a zoomed out overview...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm1982
    you can make sure the screenshot is logical and shows off the best part of the site, not just a zoomed out overview...
    Which was what I was trying to say but maybe didn't explain it that well.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, i knew you said it...wasnt trying to step on your toes..just spelling it out more i guess

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsolas
    I would like to have an updated snapshot of my clients websites displayed next to their link. Nothing fancy but I figure its a nice visual effect that I dont have to maintain .. if I could only find a place that keeps the thumbs updated with any reasonable efficiency.
    Never heard of one.
    You may not want to do that. You might get a snapshot of a website when it is down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ablaye
    Never heard of one.
    You may not want to do that. You might get a snapshot of a website when it is down
    Down.. lol .. not my sites

Im not exactly hunting for new clients right now .. so I figured I would just play around with it and see if I can make this work.

I bet a bot can be programmed to do this but I dont really think thats necessary. Obviously there is some system setup to do this already: snap.com alexa.com ....