SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new at web page design and need some help and suggestions as how to make my web pages compatible with different browsers. I have set my web page up to look fairly good, at least what I was exspecting in Explorer 4.0 using cute html. I started with the program Homestead but discovered that I was limited with what I could do. My page is located at www.ziplinx.net if you need to check it out to see what it is doing. I hope there is some magical cure that I haven't discovered. Thanks for any tips, help, or suggestions in advance.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh! No, you discovered the bane of web development, (of which the magic cure might actually be XML).

Anyway, there are only three real routes here:

Discard all other browser and stick with one. I used to do this, but its not a smart idea.

Go by the W3c standards. This will ensure max compatibility, but it cuts away some cool things, and older browsers don't all support html 4.0

Lastly, run several browsers and test the site with them. If one browser simply cannot handle the site, no matter what, either exclude it, or mak a alterate version for it.

Hopes this helps (and get out while you still can! It's too late for us! )

James

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 1024x786 resolution, thouse -kids-cars- ect. looks tooooooo small, I cant even see it. And in your HTML ....top margin= -2000... can crash the browser. Did you know that? Ill stay away from -2000 margins....
    good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    w3c standards will kill your creativity if you let it. Don't try to please all browsers. Look at your stats to see what your visitors are using and design for that browser, offering an alternative (bare bones) page. You can't please everyone and if you try, you'll wind up not pleasing anyone.
    HTH

------------------
    Theresa Bennett
    www.webworksite.com