SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Frontpage to work on my site. I don't know alot about html at all. Maybe just the very basics. Can anybody tell me how you install CGI scripts and WHERE you install them!!?? This is driving me crazy! I know that I'm supposed to put them in my cgi-bin but how??

Another thing - can you FTP with Frontpage? I have several eBooks I'd like for my visitors to be able to download, how do I upload them to my site? I'm supposed to upload them into my anonftp directory...huh???

I really need help. Any tutorials you can recommend for me?

------------------
    =======================
    For today's female entrepreneur- HerWebBiz. Free email, Free homepages, FREE classifieds and more!
    http://www.herwebbiz.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off..."they" suggest that you do not normally upload when you have used FrontPage, because it is easy to mess it all up. But, I know you do ... so anyways...

You need to download a FTP client. Frontpage does not work for this (or does not work very well). I suggest ws ftp, which is avaliable at "wsftp.com". Download that and install it. Then, look at the readme file that came with the CGI script (there was one, right?), that should contain the instructions you need to edit the CGI file. Then run WSFTP, and connect to your website. Upload the files to your CGI BIN directory by finding the files you want to upload, highlight them, and click on the arrow which should upload it.

About the EBooks, FrontPage can't FTP. So, you gotta use the FTP client, which I talked about earlier. You should NOT log in to your anon ftp area, because those don't normally allow uploading, but log into your server using FTP, your username and password. You can upload those files anywhere you want them to be. If you want them to be avaliable to anonftp, then you should put them in the anonftp directory (which will allow users to get the files anonomsly...however its spellt), but otherwise the files can be put anywhere.

I hoped that helped a little - I think I confused myself. Anyways...ask if you have any other questions - or if I just confused you.

------------------
    John Schrom
    Webmaster - 4Webmasters

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm....I though Front Page 2000 could FTP

------------------
    Webmaster's Network

The best Webmaster related links, articles, reviews resources and more! NEW DOMAIN NAME!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 98...and it CAN ftp, but it isn't as easy as it could be. I would think that it would be better to get a FTP client anyways (but I havn't used 2000, so I don't know), since it may be easier. I don't know...I just love microsoft products so much.

------------------
    John Schrom
    Webmaster - 4Webmasters

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FrontPage 2000 does upload files to your server. It has a nifty feature called Quick Publish, and it only uploads files that have been updated. It can help a lot if you have a large site or low bandwidth.

------------------
    -Aidan Bahta
    <A HREF="http://www.redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    " TARGET=_blank>http://www.redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    </A> Get more hits, for Free!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick with a FTP client, rather. I've once had the frustration of a client who used FP to upload files. It was hard to really see what was going on. FTP simply gives you more control. (I speak under correction for FP2k, I've nver used it).

On CGI, I recommend getting a good tutorial from any of the host of excellent webdesign sites. It canget a bit more compliated than can really be explained here. Alternatively look into using ASP (www.aspin.com) or PHP (www.php.net). If you have programming knowlegde of languages such as C++ or Perll, CGI is a real cinch to pick up.

Hop this helps!

James

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of great suggestions here that all point to the same answer, "Get an FTP client!" I personally use Deamweaver, which in my opinion will run circles around MSFP, and I still use an FTP client from time to time.

JUST GET ONE, and once you learn how to use it, your life will a lot more simple.

DynaMike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    &lt;smile&gt;.. Ive used FP for several years now...(not exclusively of course) starting with FP 97 and most recently 2000.... and one thing I will tell you is IGNORE the FP publish proceedure... dont even go there.

Like others have said, get the hence to a good FTP and use it. Much easier to operate and control.

Susan

------------------
    Life is like a hot shower, just as you get comfortable, someone flushes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FrontPage 2000 automatically detects if server extensions are installed on the host and it will allow you to FTP if they are not, but it sometimes depends on the server you are publishing to. You zip your e-book up and put it in a folder in fp. Put a link to it on your page pointing to the file in fp. Upload everything to your site and it will be available for download.
    HTH

------------------
    Theresa Bennett
    www.webworksite.com