SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CSS vs. Tables - The dreaded debate...

I have read posts on various forums, reviewed several designs and designed myself... However I still run into the issue of tables, no tables ad CSS or tables with CSS... I find it more difficult to make things look the same across browsers, mainly IE and Firefox when using CSS. I am not a CSS expert by any means; however I have spent sometime in using it and reading about it. I find it humorous to find that there is always a “CSS hack” for certain things, and not any one browser complying 100% with CSS standards. It makes one think, “Why bother?” Until all the browsers are 100% compliant why go strictly CSS? For me, its a lot more time and effort, however when I use a modified layout with CSS and tables, things seem to match up ever so nicely. This doesn’t mean that I am going to stop trying 100% CSS, I just wanted to get some input on the matter. It seems more trouble than what its worth!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the wars begin In all seriousness I use css for layout and formatting and tables now for data. Its just easier for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i tried many times to replace tables with css, but i just gave up after a few hours every time. tables are easier but css is cooler and its the way of the future...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Right on!!!

Keep it coming all... This is all valuable input for me. A fellow co-worker and I have this debate with one another as well, however we both come to the same conclusion... A modified design of Tables and CSS. We have done some source code comparisons as well, microsoft (table/css), apple (table/css), hp(css), cnn(table/css). See a trend? ;-) This is a great debate I think. I read a post on a forum where an individual stated that you shouldn't consider yourself a web developer if you are still using tables! I think this statement in itself is what inspired me to start this post.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Yehaa, very original tread, the Corps smells awful by now
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380139

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Hmmm...

I realize that this is not an original post. Never said it was. I appoligize if the stench is getting to you, maybe you'll wanna spend those two cents on some nose plugs next time.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanwilliams
    I realize that this is not an original post. Never said it was. I appoligize if the stench is getting to you, maybe you'll wanna spend those two cents on some nose plugs next time.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please read through the previous very long post, then come back.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanwilliams
    Please try to keep it civil on these forums. I realise you're new here, but that's no excuse for being rude to the staff.

This topic has been debated over and over and over for a long time. Do a forum search and you'll have enough reading to keep you busy for a week. Then, after reading all those arguments for and against, if you have any further (specific) questions, post them here.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the reason we're tired of it is because the debate comes up every week, and because there are tons of arguments that a forum search can let you in on. We'd just rather not see the same old arguments rehashed over and over, because seeing them again doesn't make them any more or less right. Feel free to ask any specific questions or bring up new arguments though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool My apologies to all...

It was not my intent to offend anyone or to be rude… I understand that the discussion can get old so I will keep it to specific questions next time. Once again, my apologies…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated above, they both have their places. CSS designs don't include much difference in functionality. Sure I'll get some CSS fanboy replies, but I've found that both are needed.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Is a top post only reader.