SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does php take extra bandwith?

Im looking into using PHP on my site. Ive seen what it can do and im quite impressed . I learned the basics of PHP and MySql... enough so that i can make a page using them. But before i rewrite my site, i want to know if itll take up more bandwith than regular html?
    signature

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't think of any reason why it should. More processor cycles, yes, but probably less bandwidth since you can detect a lot about the client system, and then only send them the code they need.

In the past if you had done the same with a client side script (e.g. JavaScript) you would have still needed to send the code for all browsers, and then had the browser itself only choose to render the the code written for it. So IE would ignore the NS4.7 code even through it did have to download it all. That's wasted bandwidth. Any server-side scripting language, PHP included, can take unneeded code out of the page efore it's sent.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember this: If it goes to the browswer, it's uses bandwidth. If the browser doesn't see it, it doesn't use bandwidth.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*