SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast chickaboom's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two drop downs I'm interested in, but...

Hi. I like these two drop downs:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/sm/index.htm
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/topnavbar.htm

Neither of them work in 6.1. I think it'll be okay though because 90% of viewers on the site I'm working on use IE.

Question is, what do I do for the 10% who will not see the DHMTL menu. What shall I do as an alternative so they can navigate the site?

As an aside, it looks like the second URL above is more customizable, for example I can change color of the menu, but on the first URL I'm stuck with the bluegreen, right?

Thanks!
    The circle of life

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re:

Well,

I think that the only solution for you is to make a page for each of the category with the links in the page that are listed. Otherwise, you have no use making links the top level category...it's a waist of processing power. Of course, you also want to sugar-coat each page with links so it looks nice and pretty and part of your website.

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But the links that I add for those who don't see the DHMTL menu are going to look like a duplicate set of links to the 90% who see the drop down. These two dropdowns are totally, completely invisible in Netscape 6.1.

Making an extra page for each link category is no problem, but two sets of links at the top of the page will look awful I think unless I can figure out what people do about this, if anything.

Do you think maybe Webmasters just completely ignore the Netscape 6 problem?

Thanks. And you even replied on a Sunday. Wow!
    The circle of life

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re:

Well, there are couple of things here...you first need to ask yourself, how does the fact that my visitors don't see the drop down menu saffect their experience? If there is no effect, ie. your site is not losing any value and functionality without drop downs, than you can simply exclude the menu on the NS6 browsers (simple JS will do for browser check). But if on the other side, you see this menu as a very important part of your website, than you have to make the links on that menu available to NS6 visitors in order to preserve the site experience.

I don't think that people ignore what browsers their visitors come in, especially in the case of Netscape. Perhaps you want to visit http://www.smarthome.com and see how they've implemented your solution. Make sure you visit with both IE and NS browsers. I personally think that this is the way to go (and it's the way I also suggested in the previous post). Of course, everyone is entitled to their oppinion.

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I think the menu is pretty important. Unfortunately for me, I don't understand JavaScript well enough to do anything but install a prewritten one so I'm unable to make the menu work in NS6. Guess I'll chuck the idea and do a plain old regular menu. Drats. It just looks soooo nice in IE and Netscape 4. I really liked it.

Thanks very much for your input here!
    The circle of life

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooh. Thank you. Thank you, thank you! THANK YOU! I'm back in the game with the kind of menu I wanted!

Did I say thank you? Thanks Judge!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are so sweet. I am happy.
    The circle of life

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Maybe one of these would help

That is a great site. I didn't care about the dropdowns but they offer so much more...thanx judge.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thanks!
    Glad it helped

chickaboom, So you grow great petunias. How do you get rid of those worms that eat the buds?
    Last edited by the judge; Nov 5, 2001 at 18:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that one of the DD scripts was by Mike Hall. I think his site is http://www.brainjar.com. He's got some new scripts and toturials there, I think.

~~Hope This Helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link Ian Glass.

So. Does the judge have petunias? Well I must tell you, this year I have vinca. Colorful, but small and quite boring compared to petunias. I had a frightful battle with a fungus this year and had to pull all my petunias.

Re: the worms - get some BT. I forget what it stands for but it's a bacterial spray, very effective, and a good alternative to pesticide use. It'll kill the larvae and the worms. The budworms are hard to see because they turn the color of the flowers they eat. If you see little black dots on your plants...it's those pesky worm's poops and you might see them before you see the damage they do. The moths who lay the eggs are known for laying them during a full moon, so I would often spray at that time of the month for insurance.

And your petunias will do exceedingly well if you feed them every two weeks. They like that.

Also, when the flowers die, pinch 'em off the plant and the plant will redirect its energy to producing new blooms.

Go buy some BT and spray soon!
    The circle of life

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chickaboom,
    Thanks for the the growing tips. Will try again.