SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all I would like to say I am a 13 year old newbie at all of this. I am designing a site at (http://redrival.com/thechickencoop/). I am wondering if there would be a real use for a database? Please I need your help. If you have any tips for me that would be nice.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the following thread that was posted earlier today when I had a very similar question. http://www.webmaster-resources.com/f...ML/000261.html

------------------
    http://www.CandMWebDesign.com - The best in web site design, maintenance, marketing, and development

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Databases are either very useful, or slow down your site. If you have a search section, or plan to have one, consider integrating one.

I use a databse on one of my sites to manage game cheats pages. The link and descriptions are kept in the access database, and I use asp to generate the list of links. It makes maintenance a lot easier, sinc eI only have to use on page to cover all 26 alphabet letters.

If you want to know more, get some asp tutorials for access. I've found the ones at www.haneng.com very useful. Also learn the SQL langauge, which is pretty simple once you look at it practically.

Of course, if your site isn't destined to become huge, or updated very often, using javascript to generate regular sections might be more efficient.

Hope this helps. Please contact me if you have any questions, or simply post to this forum

James

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just imagine the nightmare of updating, managing, etc. our ArticleCentral.com if it was without a database :/

But if you are going to develop a rarely updated site and don't want the same information presented in several places and in different ways then you don't need it.

------------------
    Alan Mendelevich aka ailon
    New! ArticleCentral.com - The content directory for web professionals. Monitoring hundreds of web development related sites, daily.
    Visit MEGOPhotos - Quality photos for FREE

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, one of you guys said that a Javascript could update sections of your Web page automatically. Could you tell me where to find one? And does it slow down the loading of the page? Thanks.

------------------
    Webmaster's Network
    The Ultimate Webmaster Resource Center

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Its actually pretty simple. I use a external script to generate menus. Usually I just document.write the html tags and other text. I then just point to the source, and execute a function on the script where I want it to appear on the web-page.

Its useful if you have the same menu on a lot of pages, and you need to change the menu globally, or anything similiar.

Downside is it can slow down the page if the content is too much, or if the script is too slow. I recently started toying with access databses and ASP, but I still use the js method a lot for small things.

Please mail me if you want more details.

James