Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ses5909
    Where do you live
    I live closer than you may think. After all, Savanna could contain a log cabin. You should be able to spot me, as I'll be holding a pie in each hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try and get up in the morning to walk my husband to the train station and on the way back home tell myself that I am walking to the office... likewise in the evening I leave the 'office', walk to the train station, and then when I come back again, I'm home. It's psychological, and I do sometimes feel guilty for not getting dinner ready but hey, I'm at the office all day, when would I have the chance to go home and make dinner?

I play Magic Online while I have lunch... not that I'm really that interested in the puerile conversation of 13 year old boys, but the game provides an interesting diversion...
    And then I check if there's any interesting topics in the SitePoint forums...

Also I just started ballroom dancing classes in the evenings - that's definitely one way of getting up close and personal social contact!

One thing I have found since I started working full time at home is that I get a bit disorientated when I have been staring at the computer all day and I get in the car to go out and have to suddenly deal with things coming at me in 3 dimensions instead of 2. It's actually starting to scare me a bit, which is odd because I used to work as a truck driver and really love driving.
    Does anybody else have that problem?

Also if you have a spare pie can you throw it in my direction? Getting hungry...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...usually what I do is play this game called "Little Fighters 2" found here:

www.lf2.net

You'll totally love it! It's hilarious & free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, great post. There's alot more of us that work at home than I thought. It is definitely important to break the monotony of working from home. I have a hard time with it sometimes, it I'm getting better at it. One thing I've found is that I work better early in the morning and late at night so I try to work then and do other things in the less productive time, it's important to find out when you work best and try to do the majority of your work during those productive hours.
    Quality Link Building Service That Gets Results MarketingTide.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people here have time to socialize?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imnotchubby
    How many people here have time to socialize?
    ...Depends on your definition of "socializing"...

Me personally; I feel I have no time. Sometimes I have to take a day off or else simply go home early just to hang out with some friends or family. If your one of those "social butterfly" types, then your going to go nuts. If however your one of those introverts, then you'll feel more at home being at home working.

I tend to think though that everyone (regardless of sub-type) should get out and away from they're computer when they get the chance. It's hard to do sometimes because you get crunched by due dates and people barking down your back, but sometimes it's a priortity (getting out and away from your computer I mean...).

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who can make a good salary working for themself, by themself, out of their home has my respect. That's really not easy to do. Partially because of the reasons people mention in this thread. I would lose my mind cooped up like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cringer
    Anyone who can make a good salary working for themself, by themself, out of their home has my respect. That's really not easy to do. Partially because of the reasons people mention in this thread. I would lose my mind cooped up like that.
    Interesting comment. I would lose my mind being stuck in an office all day without being able to stop and watch TV for a bit or go for a walk if I needed a break.
    I would lose my mind having to stand around the photocopier and exchange small talk about the weather with people I probably don't like.
    And having to find something nice to wear and spend forever putting on makeup just so my colleagues didn't get a fright when they saw me? Well, I could churn out an entire content management system in the time it'd take me to do that every morning!

But as for the making a good salary bit... well, that would have its merits...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jylyn
    Interesting comment. I would lose my mind being stuck in an office all day without being able to stop and watch TV for a bit or go for a walk if I needed a break.
    I would lose my mind having to stand around the photocopier and exchange small talk about the weather with people I probably don't like.
    And having to find something nice to wear and spend forever putting on makeup just so my colleagues didn't get a fright when they saw me? Well, I could churn out an entire content management system in the time it'd take me to do that every morning!

But as for the making a good salary bit... well, that would have its merits...
    points taken.

My situation is not typical. I don't stand around photocopiers talking to people I don't like. I enjoy my workplace. It's very casual - doesn't matter how you dress or look. I have a lot of friends in various departments, and I am pretty much self directed. I have a few people under me but no direct day-to-day supervision from above. That's great - although I do have to answer to higher ups - it's not a "breathe down the neck" daily routine - not even close. I can also take breaks and even work from home on those days when I feel like it. (although I don't prefer it)

And I know for a fact I could not make anywhere near the same money working self-employed out of my home... but that's just me, I'm just not cut out for that. I know from experience.

Not to mention 401K, health insurance, stock options, paid vacation, sick time... an when I leave my office I don't bring it home with me (usually).

But I know what you mean. I wouldn't last 2 seconds in some stuffy corporate envirnonment with all the hassles you mentioned above... in fact I turned my back on a quite "glamorous" offer last year for those very reasons.

It's very important to know what suits you in life. I would love to be a self-employed home worker... but it doesn't suit me. I don't have the discipline. I respect those that do. I do better with direction and having a place I have to be each day.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started getting the 'i need to get out' thoughts about a month ago when i was having a lot of trouble with hosting and several sites going down at once.

The stress levels were off the scale, so i went and had a game of golf which didn't really help. Purely because i had a terrible game.

Being Winter here, it wasn't really the time for strolling down to the beach for a swim but i did and it was the most refreshing thing. 30 minutes of surfing completely energized me, from then i started going to play basketball for an hour 3-4 times a week at 'lunch' time.

For an additional 'change' i just started part time (2-3 days a week) work at the local University in the Web Team for a couple of months.

Its a big difference working in an office of 20+ people to the small home office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brisk Walking daily plus swimming weekly
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers, Ruby on Rails programmers,
    Moodle, Opencart, Magento, Geodesic Classifieds/Auctions,
    www.chrisranjana.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working from home has, as pointed out several times, its pros and cons. At the moment I mix the two (contracting during 9-5, and some smaller projects and hosting on the side), and although I find it stressful and draining sometimes to come home about six just to flick on my laptop and start the "2nd job", I have devoted a space in my flat PURELY to work to help me cope better. I really want to avoid the feeling of being "at work" when I enter my flat, so even though I have a laptop and WiFi I don't move it from my work space. So, my advice is as all above (go to the gym, set yourself a 9-5 limit, GTD, etc) plus designate an area where you only do work - keep it tidy, and work only. That way, the rest of your home is just that, not an office. Even better if you can have your work area in a separate room. When you're done, leave the room and close the door. Work's finished, enjoy your home.

Depending on how it goes with my contract, I might rent a shared space. There's lots of them in London where I live, and I have heard great things about them from people in a similar situation (social interaction, the feeling of 'going to work' and switch off when you leave, job sharing, common meeting rooms, shared WiFi, printers and so on).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't sayworking at home is the problem, i dont think location matters, however i do think team-mates matter, when you would be working @ home with let's state 4 other fellow team-members (developer, testen, designer and documenter) i bet you wouldn't post this imo, i spend 3 years at home developing software for a company on my own, it took me three years cause i was on me own, it was lack of communication about the subject of matter that was the problem, i had nobody to disscuss problems, other members who can give you different perspective on things, so i got all lonely hooked up in me own mind which is way too creative to not be constrained by other team members... anyway, i got confused, frustrated which ended up in good software but i couldn't give it away it was like a baby to me cause i did this all on my own.

Nowadays i again work on my own but i have ppl above me who give me input and comment on my production, hence they guide me into the right direction, which shows me that i by myself is not very consiquent in my job which leads to experience, something you dont get if you work alone (at least not on management, production is different), so i give you the advice to work with ppl from within your office, get the involved or go and find a job outside "the box"..

either you can or you can't handle it... i mean working inside a box, can become very lonely and loose track, hence get frustrated.
    Business as usual is off the menu folks, ...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to just walk around the block or go out for lunch - I have tons of pets around the house too so I'm never really alone while I'm working (whether I want to be or not! ) As far as the socializing thing - that's what nighttime bar hopping is for!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of good points on this thread; some of the things I would like to add are things like...

Make sure you have good ventilation where you work, not too hot or cold.

Consider taking regular breaks, I find I am more productive if I work on two or three different projects in a day instead of on one single project. I take 20 minutes out of every 2 hours, and if I have multiple tasks I try and come back to a different task.

Working this way often seems to simplify the thought process on other tasks, so I can often arrive at a workable solution to a problem when engaged in unrelated work, I only take the time to jot down the idea before carrying on the allotted path.

Productivity is also dog dependent; they are happy on the 2-hour schedule and enjoy the breaks as much as I do.

I work mostly at night 11:00 PM Ė 2:00 AM (when the kids are asleep) and in the hours 8:30 AM - 2:00 PM (when the kids are in school), I am now into my summer schedule which allows more time with the kids, I am working 11:00 PM Ė 8:00 AM then I sleep for 5 hours and Iím with the kids or available 1:30 ish till they head off to bed around 9:30.

Work as if your office at home is your office at an outside work place, donít stagnate, look for other ways or times to work and donít quit on looking for a better way to work, I have a system that more than pays our bills, and for the most part works in our family, it might not work for more than 1 or 2 in a 100 but it works for us.

I am probably at least 50% more productive than when I was in an outside office, and on the good days maybe as much as 75 or 80% more productive. Productivity pays the bills, so I enjoy the extra work I get done.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am exactly the same, I am desperate to go out but for some reason I don't like going out. strange

going out stresses me but I only want to go out because I feel I'm wasting my life sitting here doing a macro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent home based work

Also become a part of a peer group, this will be a tremendous motivating factor.
    Last edited by chrisranjana; Jun 12, 2006 at 03:35. Reason: tYPo !
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers, Ruby on Rails programmers,
    Moodle, Opencart, Magento, Geodesic Classifieds/Auctions,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also used to work from home. recently got a job offer with good salary ...so joind it and have redused the freelancing stuff a lot. missing those days though.
    but when I used to work frm home few things i always kept in mind.
    1. follow routine ... u r working frm home doesnot mean work overnight and sleep in day.
    2. take breaks, and utilize some of ur breaks doing non-tech stuffs like reading, eating out, movies,maybe give time to ur girl friend...point is enjoy the break or free time.
    3. Dont work on weekends ...weekend should be used as weekends, afterall u r working lot more in weekdays other than salaried guys.

thats all i can remember I used to do ...
    good luck
    chees

on the last note ...try to be active in some online forums and social networking sites ..that really pays.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Believe in yourself...you can win.
    My Blog - Usability, Web tech
    My Album

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would you rather walk in an office outside of your home?
    Agents of Value
    Webmaster Outsourcing Company

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sumanpaul
    i

on the last note ...try to be active in some online forums and social networking sites ..that really pays.
    which sites would you recommend?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i' take a basketball 15 minutes brake then back to the work

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been working at home for years and find that stepping outside of a schedule helps me. I work until it just doesn't "fit" for me and then I get up and do chores or garden or go for a walk in the nearby woods. Whatever clears my mind and lets me get away.

I also participate in all my childrens' school activities, doctor appointments, etc since I am a single father. Between the demands of work and the kids and the desire for some down time I find that more often than not when I have the opportunity to work without interruption I am into doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hardest thing I have when I do work (either at home or simply at WORK) is getting the stress out of me. An instructor once said that the divorce rates of programmers is the highest due to bringing home stress. He said that the scientists or researchers stated that if your going to be any kind of programmer (albeit web or desktop) you should try to get a job that is about 35-45 minutes away so that you have time to be by yourself and somewhat vent when your in your car driving home. Whatcha think? You think this holds some truth? Maybe the same can apply to monotony except more likely in a reverse way... Maybe you need to just get out for a few and go hang out with some friends. I've found this to be true for myself more often than not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't feel the need to vent after coding all day ... but I definately need time for my mind to unwrap itself from the code

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GardenHelper
    I have been working at home for years and find that stepping outside of a schedule helps me. I work until it just doesn't "fit" for me and then I get up and do chores or garden or go for a walk in the nearby woods. Whatever clears my mind and lets me get away.
    Damn, there are some good tips in this thread. Blinklisting.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com