User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_22
    ...usually what I do is play this game called "Little Fighters 2" found here:

www.lf2.net

You'll totally love it! It's hilarious & free!
    I totally agree, but after you've beaten the game so many times on all difficulties, it starts to get boring..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skribblez
    I totally agree, but after you've beaten the game so many times on all difficulties, it starts to get boring..
    Ditto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been a graphic designer for over twenty-years with a very busy graphic house. Started on a light table, rubilith for photo placement, typsetting for text and the like.....I guess that makes me sound older than dirt.

About 10 years ago my firm paid for a return to college for computer and web development courses and I added that skill to my reportoire.

Just a few months ago I decided I could use a lighter work load so sought and received permission from the powers-that-be to work onsight part-time and from home part-time. With a cut in pay I might add. Hence my desire to supplement that with freelance work.

This working alone has some adjustments I had not considered. Not because I am bored, lonley are want someone to chat with, but the feedback and help with direction on my work is something I miss. I just have my own, albeit biased view of my designs based on my personal 'take' on what the client wants. It is always helpful for me to have another opinion of what others think a client desires. To get someones opinion BEFORE I spend hours on a project.

At 11:00 at night after designing a submission for 4 hours, it can begin to look good to me, even if it isn't. You know what I mean....you are bleary-eyed and sleepy and just want to put it online so someone doesn't get there before you with this same 'look'.

Yet sometimes I look at it the next day and say, 'What was I thinking?' It looked good to me the night before....really!!

I miss someone saying to me....'Hmmm.....not the style I would have choosen for that client or even better....'Are you kidding me with that?'

So my issue with working from home is having someone there to share with, to ask opinions of, to tell me when I've done a lousy job, even to tell me if I've done a good job, or to complain to or just go out for coffee with on the spur of the moment.

However, if I get the inevitable deisgn block and feeling of being alone, I take my co-workers (my two little dogs) for a walk and clear my head.

So if you see a 'bad' design from me....say to yourself.....she must have been up late and cut me some slack and offer me your pity. Know that I will offer the same to you should I see a design submitted that I would not have choosen for a particular contest. LOL
    Cathy
    Designing is being uniquely creative daily.
    Sometimes it works...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

working at home

Quote Originally Posted by Artimesia
    This working alone has some adjustments I had not considered. Not because I am bored, lonley are want someone to chat with, but the feedback and help with direction on my work is something I miss. I just have my own, albeit biased view of my designs based on my personal 'take' on what the client wants. It is always helpful for me to have another opinion of what others think a client desires. To get someones opinion BEFORE I spend hours on a project.
    Some valid points.
    Especially if the work is confidential you cannot even ask your peers here in sitepoint too
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers, Ruby on Rails programmers,
    Moodle, Opencart, Magento, Geodesic Classifieds/Auctions,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimesia
    I have been a graphic designer for over twenty-years ... I would not have choosen for a particular contest. LOL
    I haven't been a freelancer, entrepreneur, or anything alike, but you hit the nail on the head with everything I'm doing so far. Despite the fact that I'm a loner by normal standards, I find it pleasant having someone to get a second opinion from. This of course comes from either my girlfriend or my co-workers. It's hard doing things by yourself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had a laptop and a wireless net connection , I would be going out daily
    Xenon Web Solutions -Web Development Company Based In Pakistan
    -As I walk through life....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *sigh*

Gotta luv wireless.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I want to get out, I have found plenty of opportunities to go to business networking meetings, chamber of commerce mixers and various related events. It helps break up the monotony and helps me get out and meet new people that I can potentially do business with. It has worked out pretty well. I have increased my business and made some good friend in the process.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this for a start :

-make a list of goals to attain, XY number of clients, XY numbers of new business prospection to do etc.

-Wake up everyday at the same time, dress business like at least three or four times in a week and make sure you do something important for your business-like going to your serviced-business office, to do things like, taking decisions on bills to pay, sounding new prospects and settling administrative matters.

-find time to do your day-to-day letter writing....

-go to important places to meet people of similar or related interests.

-fill those empty periods with issues related to your professional and business goals.
    fash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been working at home for some time now. So far there hasn't been any 'working' in 'working at home'!
    SedNaX Webmaster Community
    Submit your link now!
    Want to sell adspace? Lazy? Let us do it for you!
    $7.95/mo hosting 20GB storage and 1TB bandwidth