SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Compaq Presario 5204...bought in in late 1998...until then, I'd just been using my family's computers and such. It had 64MB of RAM and a 333 (I think) MhZ processor. 4GB hard drive. Blazing fast compared to what some of you old geezers had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe, my computer was consider old and crap, even when I got given it in '95...

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    A Compaq Presario 5204...bought in in late 1998...until then, I'd just been using my family's computers and such. It had 64MB of RAM and a 333 (I think) MhZ processor. 4GB hard drive. Blazing fast compared to what some of you old geezers had.
    I am not a geezer thanx anyways...but I have had a more powerful calculator since 1987 than my first computer.

( i just started young honest )
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an Amstrad CPC 464. I remember when I didn't have it, and I went to my friend's to play with his. Back then I think his dad paid it the equivalent of 900 euros. It had a monochrome green screen, and a cassette deck.
    We would play Lego in my house while the games loaded then got back to his when we think they were done with loading, and when I got my own Amstrad we would copy tapes to share games, we had whole compilations on 90' tapes !
    There was even a normal and turbo mode, to read/write faster but with less security of the data on the tapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Computer Class back in 5th grade...we would use this crappy like black-and-green Mac and move a little turtle icon around with the arrow keys to draw shapes. Ugh. We really learned nothing about computers other than how to press the keys and look at the screen at the same time. I think it was just there so that we could say that we used computers there, and to get us somewhat comfortable with them.

I used DOS 2 year earlier, though. I remember computers we had in the house that didn't really use anything other than DOS...though I don't remember the model, specs, or anything like that.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Computer Class back in 5th grade...we would use this crappy like black-and-green Mac and move a little turtle icon around with the arrow keys to draw shapes. Ugh. We really learned nothing about computers other than how to press the keys and look at the screen at the same time. I think it was just there so that we could say that we used computers there, and to get us somewhat comfortable with them.
    Logo !!! I used it for the first time when we had to learn that last year, as an introduction to Visual Basic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can remember computer class in 2nd grade. We had apple II and we were taught how to hold the disks, and how to treat them. Lucky for us. We got to do all sorts of great things. Of course, there was only one computer for the whole school, and it was in the library, but we all got to sit around and watch as one of us typed stuff, and played the children's word games that we had.

Back in those days double sided disks had to be ejected and turned over, and put in upside down, to be able to load the second side of the disk.

Later on in my primary school life, there was a huge "Computers for kids" promotion by Apple and coles supermarkets, who provided our school with a macintosh computer for every classroom, due to the amount of pink coles supermarket dockets we collected. They were 'macintosh classic' and they were state of the art at the time. For every pink supermarket docket we brought to school, for months, we got a few cents closer to a new computer for our school. And we always brought handfuls to school.

My first experiences of computers weren't at primary school though. My dad was a teacher and a number of times he brought home computers to show us. I can remember VIC 20 computers.

There were also cards that he used to write programs in basic. You'd write by filling in holes on these cards, and the computer would read each hole as a byte. I'm too young to remember what type of computers they were.

On one of the computers he brought home, he wrote me a program in basic, that spelled my name in morse code by beeping.

That's how I, as a small toddler, learned my name in morse code.
    Last edited by mmj; Nov 6, 2001 at 10:56.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is Intel 486SX25Mhz with 4MB of RAM and 250MB of Hard Disk Space. Later I upgrade the processor to Cyrix 486DX40Mhz and the RAM to 8MB, boy I was so happy with the performance back then.
    Your WebHosting Partner - RouterWebHost.com
    eXam SIMulation Software - ExamSim.net
    geeks forums -ProgrammingTutor.com
    BMWClub of Malaysia - BMWClub.com.my
    unofficial MU Fan Club coming soon - ManchesterUnited.com.my

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used DOS 2 year earlier, though. I remember computers we had in the house that didn't really use anything other than DOS...though I don't remember the model, specs, or anything like that.
    You were using a programming graphics program called logo... Don't I feel old. I don't know which system it was but that particular program at the minimum was in the original Appl II series pcs'
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it sounds like they were Apple II series. I'm pretty sure they weren't macs, because of the black and green display.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASP 386 CIRIX 40 MHz not bad but after formating for the first time took me 1 month to find all the drivers.
    -- | StEaLThEn |--

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ZX Spectrum 48K!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)