User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more ecommerce q's

I WILL get the hang of this soon!!!!!

OK it seems to me that whether I am using my own internet merchant account or I am using one of these guys to take payments for me and send me a cheque (with higher per transaction fee's) I really only need ONE person in each scenario right?

For example it could be worldpay.. Or Verisign.. right?

Also any one use world pay?

Also the one other thing I cnanot get my head round is the secure server bit..

So I guess as soon as you go to the "put in cc details" page it has to be secure. Does the payment provide host this page (I think they would in the first scenario).. If not do you just get the server to become secure on the credit card page?

Sorry for all the questions.. I am just trying to get my head around this thing..

I read a tutorial on webmonkey and now I am 10x confused lol..

I think I am gonna concentrate on my business plan and then worry about this stuff but I DO need to know it so earlier = better..

Also does anyone know ehre there is a "sample" ecommerce business plan available?

I found loads of normal ones but a ecommerce one would be better.

LOL maybe I couldn't find any as none of them have one! They just borrow 10 million and spend it in 2 months lol..

Cheers guys!
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Payment Acceptance Expert jconley2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You're right, you either get a real merchant account or you go with a 3rd party provider, not both. If you go with a 3rd party provider you don't get a merchant account, rather you use the 3rd party providers instead.

On the Secure Server stuff, also referred to as SSL. You will want to make sure the order page (where the customer inserts the credit card info) is secure. If you go with a 3rd party provider they are usually required to have the order transaction and order form be on their servers, not yours. In this case both the order form and the transaction is secure.

If you go with a real merchant account you host everything on your server. In this case you can go one of two ways:

1. Ask your web host provider if you can use their secure server to put your order form on. This is usually free and the URL might look like this:

https://www.webhosturl.com/username/order.htm

Your web host username would go in the URL and then of course the file name of the order page at the end of the URL.

2. Purchase your own secure certificate from Equifax, Thawte, or VeriSign and have it installed on your server so your URL for your order form looks like this, perhaps:

https://www.yourwebaddress.com/order.htm

If your looking for the easy way then #1 is the route to go. If extreme professionalism is important to you then #2 is the way you should go.

Let me know if you have any questions, I hope I simplified it enough, if not let me know!

To your success,

Jim Conley II
    Your Payment Acceptance Expert
    Get FREE copy of "Top 3 Merchant Account Pitfalls REVEALED" -
    http://www.discount-merchant-account.com
    Touch-Tone Credit Card Processing - $39 setup & $5/month

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand completely now!

Thanks for your help
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to remember is that in almost all cases, if you use a 3rd party credit card service, their name and not your company name will appear on your customer's credit card receipt.

Unfortunately that can lead to confusion and possibly more chargebacks by your buyers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an important note to remember if you choose the 3rd party provider route...

You'll want to educate your customers several times about what name will appear on their monthly credit card statements.

1. On the confirmation/thank you page that customers are sent to after placing an order

2. In the confirmation e-mail they get

3. On any billing statements

4. If you sell a product, a note in the box (preferably on top when opened) on bright colored paper

5. Perhaps even sending your customers an e-mail automatically at the end of the month reminding them what name will appear

Awareness is the important thing to remember. Do a few or all of the above will keep them aware and the less likelihood of them forgetting when they receive their monthly statement.

To your success,

Jim Conley II

How Much Money?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no win at all!

whatever way you decide to go when using a paymeny system you will allways come out, out of pocket.

Whether it is high processing fees and high holdback or a high setupfee and low commisions

Just my very sinacle views

Matthew Taylor
    AutomatedLinks.com
    Boost your search engine ranking, by increasing your link Popularity,
    Dynamically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mail-Benefit.com:

Check out www.echo-inc.com for a merchant account provider that has very low rates, no statement or monthly minimum fees, no gateway fees, no AVS fees, and no fees even for chargebacks. No holdback, either.

It took me a lot of hunting to find the right merchant account provider. I knew they all couldn't be that expensive. Thank goodness for ECHO.
    You're paying too much to be listed at Goto.com!
    Keep your ranking and save money with Position Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afraid Mail-Benefit.com can't take advantage of ECHO... he's in the UK and ECHO only services US-based merchants.

I put in a pre-application yesterday for a merchant account from them and I'm awaiting to hear back from them now.

To your success,

Jim Conley II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops! Missed the location. Bah.
    You're paying too much to be listed at Goto.com!
    Keep your ranking and save money with Position Guardian