Thread: Rails the way

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rails the way

Hi,

I'm an xhtml/css web designer. I have experience in using php and mysql, but i'm not keen on php, not enough to want to spend a great portion of my life learning it.

I am keen to learn Ruby on Rails, because it seems to be forward thinking, has developed many new forward thinking web apps, amongst other reasons, it also seems easier to get your head around.

Does anyone believe that choosing Rails is the way forward for web development? Does anyone have any good resources to help me learn?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I come from a five year PHP background. I began learning Rails in October of '05 and have been 100% rails driven since (Well 99.9% since PHP is sometimes easier for small small projects). I believe that Rails ideas are the future of web development, that is a clear, thought out structure (MVC in this case), and rapid creation of applications.

Just last year when I got into Rails, not many hosts supported it, and although still today it is not as widespread as PHP, many hosts have began to support it.

I believe it is one of many doors to the future. But I also believe Rails is here for some time

Links to learn Ruby:
    http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ is always an entertaining one

And just google "Learn Rails" the top results are always best for that (so far)

Mitch
    Happy switcher to OS X running on a MacBook Pro.

Zend Certified Engineer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also agree that rails is by far the way to go. Im at the very beginning of the learning process (as im doing my first rails project now).

All in all ruby on rails is fantastic with an documented api to match (or beat) that of java (I like java's javadoc especially compared to .NET docs).

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to agree with alistair_b in that the API is awesome. But I'd like to tell you that Ruby's RDoc syntax is in itself quite good. I say it matches that of Javadoc.
    Happy switcher to OS X running on a MacBook Pro.

Zend Certified Engineer

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good.

I like to learn through documented education, such as text books, it allows me to learn away from the computer.

Any recommendations?

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agile Web Development with Rails is the first choice - the second edition is due out (or it might be out already).

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Redpath
    Agile Web Development with Rails is the first choice - the second edition is due out (or it might be out already).
    The 2nd edition is still in beta book format (I bought it last week). I don't think it's scheduled for full release until the fall.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it worth buying?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickToye
    Is it worth buying?
    I think so; at $23.50 for the PDF version you get a lot of bang for your buck.

The 2nd edition is still rough though (it's a beta book, not complete yet). Go with the first edition if you need something stable, even if it is a little behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard good things about Ruby for Rails. Maybe you could go with that until the second edition of Agile Rails is out.

One novice programmer I know found Learn To Program very helpful for understanding Ruby.

edit, ok, I don't know how the next line got into my head but it's wrong.
    That books uses Python, but Python and Ruby have a decent bit in common.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    One novice programmer I know found Learn To Program very helpful for understanding Ruby. That books uses Python, but Python and Ruby have a decent bit in common.
    The Learn to Program book that I saw at Barnes & Noble a couple of months ago used Ruby

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the book that has input from Heinnemann (spellcheck) is the favourite for me so far.

I watched a couple of screencasts by him, and my god he make it look easy. I also had a go at the tutorials at onLamp.com

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2.../20/rails.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    The Learn to Program book that I saw at Barnes & Noble a couple of months ago used Ruby
    Ok, I looked at the excerpts and you are totally right. Not sure why I thought it was a Python book.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a good PHP background, I did some php projects as a freelancer, I also study Java in my college and already did some projects with java. Now I'm learning Ruby on Rails, I think it's a really great web development tool, it's well structured, easy to learn, a pure object oriented, it let you concentrate mostly on what you want your application to do rather than how to do it ... the how is the easy thing!
    I liked also it's built-in support for AJAX.

I suggest that you read Ruby For Rails then go to Agile Web Development. Ruby For Rails will give you a stable background in the world in ruby.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)