SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSI for Domino server

This is a weird question for this forum, but I couldnt find any forums that matched it any better. Im trying to find out how to use a SSI on a Domino server. I know Domino servers cant read ASP or SSI so is there some kind of equivalent I can use in my web pages to include a asp file from a different server? I have a nice asp counter on my iis server, but I need to have the counter display on my webpages that are on my domino server. Any suggestions?

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know Domino very well unfortunately. But a kludgy solution could be to use an iframe....
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i tried an iframe, but it was very very slow loading since Im pulling the ASP off of a different server. I just threw it in a different frame, and thats a little bit faster, but still sluggish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure that Domino doesn't support SSI? I know knothing about Domino but, being a web server, I would think that it would at least support SSI. Did you try naming your pages with .shtml or .shtm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're pulling the ASP off a different server and Domino doesn't support ASP, I think you're going to have to use something like an iframe.

The reason is that a standard .shtm or .shtml include will not do any server-side processing of your ASP page. It will just do a straight include of your source code. So you need to call the include in such a way that it will get processed before getting included.

I have had this problem with ColdFusion, so I now use <cfinclude> which allows server-side processing of the code before inclusion. But the only way I can see that you might be able to do it is by calling the included page in a normal mannner - i.e. using an iframe.
    that's me!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried using the IFRAME, but it was just to slow loading it up, so I ended up putting it in a different frame at the bottom of the page. Its still slow, but theres really no other choice... Anyone every heard of ChiliSoft? I guess its a program that lets you run ASP on Domino web servers. I havent actually talked to anyone that has used it before, but am a little curious wether it works well or not...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the iframe slower than a regular frame? That seems strange.

Chilisoft is not ASP for Domino servers AFAIK, but ASP for Unix servers. I don't know whether it would work with Domino or not (all the Domino servers I've ever seen have been Windows boxes anyway).

I've heard both good and bad things about it. I think its main market is in systems integration (e.g. in companies) where you might have a bunch of Unix servers but an enterprise infrastructure based upon ASP. Unix web developers I know generally use Perl or PHP.
    that's me!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you goto www.chilisoft.com you can see the list of web servers that Chilisoft works with, heres the list:

Supported Web servers:

Apache Web server
    v. 1.3.20
    v. 1.3.19
    v. 1.3.12
    v. 1.3.9
    v. 1.3.6

iPlanet Web server
    v. 6.0
    v. 4.1
    v. 4.0
    v. 3.6

Lotus Domino R5 (Windows NT Only)

O'Reilly Website pro 2.x

So it does work with Lotus Domino R5 web servers, which is what we run on half of our servers. Hard to find anyone that has used it before for that purpose though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You learn something new every day

It's only $495 - this isn't very much if you can convince the powers that be to buy a copy for evaluation purposes...

<edit>Just noticed they have evaluation copies available for download as well... </edit>
    Last edited by hillsy; Nov 6, 2001 at 10:08.
    that's me!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but it would help me sleep better if I could talk to someone who used it before I "test" it on one of my servers. I just hope they have a good uninstall feature included with it...

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having problems with Domino for what seems all my life, I can say that version 5, does support SSI's.

This follwing link convinced me too try again with this whole Domino/SSI problem I had been having.

http://www.keysolutions.com/NotesFAQ/doessupport.html

Glen