SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Designing for CMSs within Dreamweaver. Possible?

This may sound like a dumb question, but I gotta ask...

I want to use open source software like Wordpress as a CMS for clients. But is it possible to design a website based on Wordpress within Dreamweaver? As it stands, the PHP gets in the way of allowing me to see what my site will look like within Dreamweaver. Let me know if you need clarification of the question.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could set up a server on your pc - Apache and php so that you can preview the site while you are working.

Nadia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that difficult? Is there a tutorial out there that can show me how to do this? I'm not quite well versed when it comes to Apache and php.

SitePoint Enthusiast Darren Hoyt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of these packages should help you out:

http://apachemysqlphp.com/
    http://www.wampserver.com/en/

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SG1,

I use wordpress as my CMS and what I did was create the xHTML document within dreamweaver as I wanted it to look and just started adding the wordpress php code as needed. I'm very happy with the out come and I was able to remove some parts of WP that I didn't want on there at all...like comments.

-Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren- Thanks for the links. I'll look into them. Hopefully, I won't be banging my head against the table trying to figure out how to install my own server on Windows

Michael- Actually, I was kinda thinking along the same lines as well. Whereby I would just code it in a normal [X]HTML design in DW. Once I've attained the proper look and feel for it, I would then start adding or deleting the various php code for the templates that accompanies WP [ie; sidebar, header, footer, etc...] And then voila, my own sites hosted on WP platform.

If you have any sample sites that you've done, that you feel comfortable private messaging me with, that would be nice as well.

thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully, I won't be banging my head against the table trying to figure out how to install my own server on Windows

You will be

By the way, I private messaged you some markup & php functions from my own Wordpress template -- hopefully that will illustrate what WoodiE55 referred to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SG1
    Is that difficult? Is there a tutorial out there that can show me how to do this? I'm not quite well versed when it comes to Apache and php.
    I purchased this book by David Powers "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver" (versions for DW2004 and DW8). http://tinyurl.com/ml35r
    I've managed to set up apache and php by following the book (no packages used here, all done manually and not difficult to do at all really - after a bit of head scratching Davids' writing style if very easy to read and follow along. I just haven't had time to get to the next chapter about mySQL :-)

There is also a chapter in the book about writing your own blog - so I can't wait to get to that section also.

There are also a couple of sitepoint books on php as well that may be of interest to you, but the reason I choose Davids book was it is aimed at Dreamweaver users specifically.

Hope this helps.

nadia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the customer reviews -- that book gets some seriously high marks. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome Darren,

Yes I know David via a few forums we frequent together. The best thing too is that if you do have a problem, post a message to the Friend of Eds forum and David will help you out pretty quickly (time zone differences come into play though

I purchased the DW2004 version originally, but never had time to crack it open, so when I upgraded to DW8, I had to purchase the new book ;-) At least I've more of a start with this book than I did with the other.

PS: Could you PM the Wordpress functions you mentioned in an earlier post... I've got a wordpress blog, but at this point, have no idea how to customise it so any tips would be really appreciated !

Nadia

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Hoyt
    Hopefully, I won't be banging my head against the table trying to figure out how to install my own server on Windows

You will be
    I use XAMPP and there was nearly no table banging involved. It installs PHP, Apache and MySQL all in one package for you. The bit I needed to figure out involved modifying httpd.conf and your Windows hosts file.

When you've installed your package and want to set up a local site, go to: C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf
    Add this at the bottom:

Code:
     <VirtualHost *:80>
       DocumentRoot "C:/pathToYourSite"
       ServerName NameOfYourSite.local
     </VirtualHost>
     <Directory C:/pathToYourSite>
     	Options FollowSymLinks
     	AllowOverride None
     	Order allow,deny
     	Allow from all
     </Directory>
    Then go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (open in Notepad) and then add 127.0.0.1 NameOfYourSite.local to the end of the file.
    You'll then need to stop the Apache server with your XAMPP control panel and restart it again to initialise your changes.
    Then you'd type in NameOfYourSite.local to view your site (you don't have to use .local at the end, but I use it to differentiate between local and external sites).
    For each new site you want to set up locally, repeat the above process with a different name.