SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

networking people please help I'm stumped

Ok guys and girls I need some help here. I installed a client server network at a local business. They have two remote workers that come to the network via a firewall, now the firewall is running ipsec and the remote users are using ssh client also running ipsec, to tunnell tru the firewall into the network. Now I can ping the inside server (which is a nt 4.0 running sp6). Now the remote users are using Windows Me. The problem is when they try to map the network drive of the server of course the server wants a username and password. But for whatever reason ME only gives you the available option of password no username area. So I assume that it is using the windows login username. I type in the password for this user and it says incorrect password. So I try the admin pass still no luck. Its as if the server wants a username and not just a pass. So just to test it I share a computers hard drive, this computer is just regular old 98. I then try to map that drive on one of the remote users computer. Now windows 98 asks for a full control password which I supplied. SO when the remote user tries to connect to the drive it works with no problems, mainly because the 98 drive is only asking for a password and no username. Does anyone know a way I can get these remote computers to connect to the nt drive. Thanks for all your help, I'm sure this is kinda cnfusing but maybe someone can make out my gibberish.
    Cant get away from this computer

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re:

The problem should be in your NT 4 configuration. Make sure your RAS service is set up correctly and you have set your drives to be shared by group users. I believe you should set userid and password for each person who will access the drive.

Good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok maybe I said this wrong. Once the remote users connects to the isp of their choice the ssh client runs automagiclly which allows you to see computers behind the firewall. The nt server is just a domain server and is not running any type of ras setup. One other weird thing is if I use a 2000 machine it works fine. So what happens is ssh client is setup so that if you type in any ip address similar to 192.168.0.1-254 it will automaticlly tunnell through the firewall. Now that you are in the network we want to map the shared drive which is on the nt server. I looked at sharing promissions and also the folder persmissions both have everyone- full control so I would think it would connect fine. but hey what do I know
    Cant get away from this computer

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re:

I forgot how NT works...but can you set to "authenticated" users instead of everyone?

It can also be some other protocol that needs to be set up.

I see why you think it may be client machine that's causing problems...but I wouldn't say it's 100%...it's more like 50-50. This probably didn't help much, but it was at least FREE.

Good Luck!

SitePoint Addict kevin_tremblay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you are trying to log into the server try qualifiying in front of the name with the domain name.

EX. BOX1= mydomain\username
    BOX2= password
    Kevin Tremblay-- Sys Admin
    work: kevin_tremblay@hsgmed.com
    "The object of the journey is not to arrive."

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try the local admin account

I think I have had this problem before, with win9x clients.

Instead of the Network Admin password try the LOCAL admin password for the computer where the share sits

i think it should work
    Ali Memon
    Direct Print

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I know what the problem is. Its not with the server, its with the remote client.

For whatever reason, MS requires remote VPN users to login to windows on the remote machine.

You know when you boot up, how it prompts you for a username and password? to login to windows? that is the screen I am talking about.

Make sure the username and password on the client and on the server match. and voila! It will work
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?