SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What movie will be more successful?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Harry Potter

28 48.28%
  • Lord of the Rings

30 51.72%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha. That's great. I've read both good and bad reviews about it.

It opened today here about 9.30 AM; I'm going to see it tonight at 8.00 ... 4 and a half hours from now!

I can't wait.

::bounces off the walls in anticipation::
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Maelstrom
    7 movies. I hope he is smart enough to combine a couple (if they are in sequence) I don't think there has ever been a movie to maintain popularity through4 movies let alone 7.
    No way they'll be a combination...the movies will be too long as it is. In fact, there's talk of splitting #4 up into two movies, seeing as how the book is over 700 pages long. Anyway, I don't know who you mean by "he," because I don't think such a decision lies in the hands of anyone one person.

Oh, I saw the movie earlier: it's a good movie, but a GREAT experience. Go with lots of other people...not necessarily friends...I mean go when you know lots of others will be in the theatre. It's nice to hear applause and such, and the murmur of excitement. Oh, and there are FIVE (yes, FIVE) awesome trailers in front of it. I won't mention them, because one is sort of a surpise.

I would disagree with anyone saying they are amazingly faithful to the books, though...they had to cut tons of things short, and some of the editing was rough (a scene that should've had one more line, or ended a second later, etc). It was a shame, and felt rough in that respect, but was still good. The ending of the book came out badly on film, but that was inevitable...it's not a "movie ending," so to speak. I can think of a dozen things I would've done differently, but overall it was quite good. The quidditch game was, obviously, amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gah -- I'm shaking! ::shakes::

If you say it's good -- I know I have nothing to worry about Chris.

I understand though, it simply is not feasible to include everything from a book in a movie.

I know what one of the trailers is -- hehe.

Anyway, I'm getting there an hour early, so I shouldn't have a problem finding a great seat!

I'll let you know what I think of it tomorrow.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope it does succeed though for several reasons. Fantasy movies in general aren't extremely popular and this might start a new series of movies. I love fantasy and haven't seen very many good ones in the last 10 years.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, are you saying the book is short, or something? It's 250 pages...long for a children's book. A light read, but not a 30-minute read, unless you're a speed reader. Anyway, the movie makes an effort to include TONS of the details within...so it is quite a daunting task, despite what some may say. It's only going to get harder, too, as the books that follow it got progressively longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK... I went I saw I conquered.

My opinion? Mixed.

I haven't read the book, and according to the GF it is a good representation [she loved both] but did mention how some really important stuff got a one line treatment. But I suppose that is book to movie conversions for you, and not a lot that can be done by it.

Some of it was great, some a bit of shame.

Not trying to give anything away here, but, for example, the Wizard Chess... reminds me of Battle Chess on the PC ages ago. And the any flavour sweets? That was so Willy Wonka...

For me as someone who hasn't read the book, I felt it began to drag and they had built all the excitement up, for quite a weak ending.

But nevertheless the effects are great and the actors also. It is a good film in its own right, and I will go and see the sequels, but it won't be a movie I add to my DVD collection, but I certainly will look forward to watching it on Xmas day for the next few years to come.

I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The every-flavor beans, I don't think, really copy off of any Wonka idea. It's the same general vibe, but I do believe it's original. And yes, Battle Chess was great...though, again, I wouldn't exactly say that Rowling was unoringinal in that idea because of some small computer game years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I can't believe I'm only now seeing this conversation (six pages later!).

I voted for HP, since it has far more marketing potential than LOTR could ever have. Although I myself am a huge LOTR fan and hope it blows everything else out of the water, but I know that's not going to happen; it's just too niche, too mature--teenagers are the ones who spend all the money at movies, not adults. And who is buying all the action figures, influenced by advertising, etc.?? Not the adults so much as teenagers, that's for sure!

And I too am disappointed that Glorfindel was written out of the story, and VERY disappointed that Arwen is now a part of the fellowship...that is totally different from the original story!

I understand the need to make the book more watchable for moviegoing purposes, but I think PJ risks alientating the hardcore, loyal Tolkein fans by doing so...

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm quite rusty in that series. i only read the first two (i think) and it was a year or two ago. haven't thought about it much since then. And then I skipped 6 of these pages .

Who was Glorfindel, again? And Arwin?

HP, by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glorfindel is the Elven-Lord who scared the piss out of the ringwraiths at the river crossing (I think it was the Brandywine??) outside of Rivendell (an awesome scene in the book!).

Arwen was a very minor character; she is the daughter to Elron (someone correct me if I have the name wrong), the king of Rivendell. She had almost no part in the first book, zero parts in the second, and only a trivial part in the third (albeit she marries Strider, but she herself does not speak or do much). Yet in the movie, she apparently is one of the most major characters!!

I'm thinking I botched some of the names, so someone please step in and correct me if I'm wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, Arwen is not part of the Fellowship in the movie, hurtdidit. She's just taking Glorfindel's place at The Ford. The Fellowship of Nine is the same as in the book.

Geiger: Glorfindel is an elf that Stryder and the hobbits run into near The Ford, on their way to Rivendell. Arwen is, I believe, the daughter of Elrond, the head honcho of Rivendell. She's an elf...she's also in love with Stryder/Aragorn, basically. Her role is being expanded in the movie, but not at the cost of changing the Fellowship or anything. She's just a bit more active, and has more focus, because a movie like this could benefit from some more romanticism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by hurtdidit
    Glorfindel is the Elven-Lord who scared the piss out of the ringwraiths at the river crossing (I think it was the Brandywine??) outside of Rivendell (an awesome scene in the book!).

Arwen was a very minor character; she is the daughter to Elron (someone correct me if I have the name wrong), the king of Rivendell. She had almost no part in the first book, zero parts in the second, and only a trivial part in the third (albeit she marries Strider, but she herself does not speak or do much). Yet in the movie, she apparently is one of the most major characters!!

I'm thinking I botched some of the names, so someone please step in and correct me if I'm wrong!
    D*mn, I didn't know she marries him, I haven't read all of #3 yet. Boooo.

Anyway, she's not a huge character. There are roughly 50 speaking roles in the whole thing...there are characters up the wazoo. She's given more emphasis, but she's NOT one of the major characters, from what I can tell, and she's certainly not part of The Fellowship...PJ isn't downright stupid...which he'd have to be to start messing with The Fellowship.

Anyway, it's Elrond...and I don't think he's a King. More like a Lord...a protector, or something like that. Personally, BTW, I think increasing Arwen's role is a good move. You can't translate the book exactly...if you tried, the end result would be a horrible movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Um, Arwen is not part of the Fellowship in the movie, hurtdidit. She's just taking Glorfindel's place at The Ford. The Fellowship of Nine is the same as in the book.
    I guess I got the wrong impression from the trailers; I hope you're right! I can live with her taking Glorfindel's place at the Ford; but I would not be able to forgive writing her character into the fellowship!!

Regardless, I am eagerly awaiting December 19th!! I hope the movie stays as loyal as possible to the books; that is what will make or break the thing, since if loyal Tolkein fanatics (and there are a lot of us) find the movie straying too far, it will be a critical disaster, regardless of box office success.

And although I have never read HP, and probably won't, I hope the movie lives up to the hype and does really well, since it will benefit the fantasy genre in general, I think. Get more kids reading fantasy books, you've just bolstered the next generation of fans! Nothing wrong with that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D*mn, I didn't know she marries him, I haven't read all of #3 yet. Boooo.
    Shoot, I'm sorry!!!!! I didn't mean to give that away!!

Elrond, that's right...I knew I didn't have it quite right (although I was close!).

And I agree, it is important for "watchability" to emphasis certain roles; the mass audience would get far too confused if the movie was 100% loyal to the book. As a loyal reader, though...I am hoping that the movie doesn't stray TOO far from the books!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, don't worry, friend. She won't be joining The Fellowship...if she was, I'd be screaming bloody murder, for sure. Honestly, I think the Glorfindel character should be sort of phased out altogether. Why introduce another Elf warrior of sorts? I like what Bakshi did in that respect: since you're gonna be seeing Legolas for a long time afterwards, but not Glorfindel much, he just had Legolas take Glordfindel's place at The Ford...still an Elf there, and it's a character that plays a larger, more steady role, anyway.

It's all nerve-wracking, but I do honestly trust PJ on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good points. I guess wel'll just have to wait and see! I wonder if there'll be LOTR action figures? hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for clearing that up. those books have a lot to remember

and that's not my usual type of story, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt, there's a lot to remember! I've only read the books twice, and the latest time was almost a year ago, so I know I've forgotten a lot of little details, although I know I'll have enough in my memory to truly enjoy the movie.

I've already told my wife that I wanted the DVD of it whenever it comes out!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Uh, are you saying the book is short, or something? It's 250 pages...long for a children's book. A light read, but not a 30-minute read, unless you're a speed reader. Anyway, the movie makes an effort to include TONS of the details within...so it is quite a daunting task, despite what some may say. It's only going to get harder, too, as the books that follow it got progressively longer.
    Actually for a fantasy novel that is generally tiny.
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think LOTR is a children's book. Not even close. I'd say 'young adult'.

And many books teens are reading today are 300-500 pages easily.

Just some insight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by hurtdidit
    [clip]Get more kids reading fantasy books, you've just bolstered the next generation of fans! Nothing wrong with that!
    My kids went from Harry Potter to Tolkien and are now reading Jordan - so it definately got them interested in Fantasy.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's one of the reasons I didn't call it a fantasy novel, as much as a book targetted at children. The only way you can even come close to suggestion that it's short is by choosing the shortest in the series thus far.

Anyway, I don't think they were referring to LOTR, geiger...just Harry Potter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, lol.

oops!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually for a fantasy novel that is generally tiny.
    I was referring to Harry Potters one book. 250 pages is a novlette (if that) in fantasy style novels. I read tolkien, jordan, Anne Rice, clancy, L.Ron Hubbard. etc...

All of those novels are exceptionally long usually 1000 pages per books (hubbard has a decology 10,000 page+).

I am just happy to see two movies both will be succesful bring back some love to fantasy. I miss that whole genre in movies. Both movies will be great but harry potter will more easily follow the content line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just happy to see two movies both will be succesful bring back some love to fantasy. I miss that whole genre in movies. Both movies will be great but harry potter will more easily follow the content line.
    I'll second that one. Even though LOTR is my favorite, HP is easier to follow.

Also, about fantasy coming back to movies, I hope it keeps coming back again and again.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)