SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What movie will be more successful?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Harry Potter

28 48.28%
  • Lord of the Rings

30 51.72%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think we're talking past each other here...because I don't think LOTR will earn more than Harry Potter either...I just think it'll be a better movie. My only serious beef was with your first sentence...implying that, for some reason I don't understand, endorsements and promotional tie-ins spell doom for the movie's quality.

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I've never read Harry Potter, but the images on the book's cover do it for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MattR
    LOTR since Harry Potter is the worst thing to hit literature since.. uh... well, of all time. Words cannot express my contempt for that stupid book / series. DIE POTTER DIE!WEFSDKJFK SJDF LJ@!
    Matt, you're mildly smarter than that.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I don't think we're talking past each other here...because I don't think LOTR will earn more than Harry Potter either...I just think it'll be a better movie. My only serious beef was with your first sentence...implying that, for some reason I don't understand, endorsements and promotional tie-ins spell doom for the movie's quality.
    I said, "Looks like shameless promotion will win out over storylines." Meaning that movies that generally suck need to resort to these sorts of marketing tactics. Look at Jurassic Park 3. It was all over the place. The movie stunk. Tomb Raider was the same way.

It just seems to be the way these things go. The marketing is unrealted to the story, I am sure. But more and more, Hollywood cranks out these cookie-cutter movies and sends out the marketing blitz to overwhelm the masses. People see Harry Potter at McDonalds, on Coke cans, on Legos and other computer games, in bookstores.

I can just see people thinking to themselves that Harry Potter must be good to be getting so much attention. The whole industry plays off of peopl that don't think for themselves. It's too convenient for people to just do what they are told to do, watch what they are told to watch.

<strike up patriotic music>
    I think we must make a stand against Harry Potter and all of the underlying motives that surround it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this? Have you read the books? Have you seen the movie you're so upset with, apparently? And no, marketing tie ins are not at all an indication of a bad movie. Like I said: every single Disney movie that comes out now has figurines at Burger King...and some of them were absolutely fabulous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..some..

yeah, maybe they are not all bad, but it's the fact that people will believe that it's good just because its on a happy meal.

The books are inconsequential. Movies are usually not as good as the books anyway. And I don't believe the movies are out yet, are they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harry Potter is out. I'll see it because I feel sort of obligated. But LOTR is THE MOVIE for me - I don't go to the flicks often unless I think it is absolutely necessary, the last two I have seen are 'Planet Of The Apes' and before that 'Gladiator', but LOTR is much more important from my point of view than they were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the Lord of the Rings will be more successful. However, the movie will never top the books. Lord of the Rings gets my vote.

However, Harry Potter is incredibly popular with the young, pre-teen and teen audience, who are the majority of moviegoers.

Therefore, I think Harry Potter would outsell Lord of the rings, if not for content, for the sheer size of it's audience.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt, you're mildly smarter than that.
    Mildly!! Poo on that! Yeah I know; I just felt like being stupid. As I've said I've never read the books or even heard of the movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by goober
    However, Harry Potter is incredibly popular with the young, pre-teen and teen audience, who are the majority of moviegoers.
    I doubt that's true. They might be the largest population segment but they don't make money...their parents do.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, but teens do have large amounts of disposable income.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The marketing is irrelevant. The only reason there are so many pomos for the movie is because of the popularity of the franchise. The books have been around for several years.

Companies, fast food chains, they're all realizing that people like the story because it is good, and so they must cash in on it. That's the way our economy works guys -- get over it.

Those set aside, both movies will gain a lot of money. Both stories are amazing and deserve to be made into films.

From the reviews I've read thus far, the Harry Potter movie is a nearly perfect film adaptation of the book. That makes me feel very good.

I'll still have to wait on Lord of the Rings however. All ready they've removed several key elements from the books for the film, as well as added needless content for the movie.

That makes it look pretty gloomy in my eyes.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, Harry Potter hasn't taken off in Australia much, it has quite a few young kids interested in the movies, not to many interested in the book though, I don't even this our school library evan has one harry potter book.

From a marketing point of view, all of the ads i've seen are aimed at 5-15 year olds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again -- that's because they think they'll gain more money by targeting the 5-15 year old audience (parents' money you know).

Many school libraries do not have it in stock, so to speak, yet, due to the ignorance of parents and other people who proclaim it a satanistic story.

That is quite rediculous in my opinion, but ignorant (and frankly stupid) people still have a lot of power when it comes to things like this....

Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my arm twisted so I'm going to see Harry Potter with the GF tonight. She has read all the books and never stops talking about it, whereas I am the exact opposite.

I guess I'll see what all the hype is about... [and understand what you guys are on about..]
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I wouldn't make that assumption weirdbeard...after all, I wouldn't say that someone who has seen the LOTR movies, when they have all come out, will necessarily know what the fuss is all about concerning that story, either. Both stories are good stories that movies cannot completely contain...the movie versions will have ups and downs in comparison to the books.

Anyway, fellow LOTR fans: please stop with this "holier than thou" attitude concerning Harry Potter. I've read most of the LOTR trilogy, and I've read all the Harry Potter books, and they are both very good in their own right. There's really no good reason to look down on Potter the way you guys have. I honestly don't understand it...

Oh, and this poll is a joke...obviously people are voting concerning which they want to make more, or some such thing, because LOTR has no chance in h*ll of making more in the US than Harry Potter. I think it'll be a better movie, but it ain't making more. Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I wouldn't make that assumption weirdbeard...after all,
    lol. I am going to see it because [well apart from the arm twisting of course!] one of my friends has seen it who has read the books and said that it is both a good movie in its own right, but also quite true to the story.

Either way it is probably worth seeing.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and a group of about 10 friends are going to see this movie tonight. I'm looking forward to it as the Hary Potter books are great.

Chris...

I think that you need to calm down there Sir. Don't generalize all LoTR fans as I think both sets of books are great.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it'll be a better movie, but it ain't making more. Sorry.
    My point exactly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My apologies. Obviously, my comments were directed towards those who feel the need to come down on Harry Potter...I think the condescending attitude from some of the Tolkienphiles here is very evident. I'm not angry...but I dislike those kinds of things. I don't like it when an Indy filmmaker acts pompus and superior because he or she thinks of his/herself as being more artistic than "commercial" filmmakers, and so on. Just a pet peeve...I'll keep it under control from now on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This forum is for expression. If you can't say what's on your mind, then why bother coming here, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are smarter than this. Rowling has 4 books out, with 3 more coming. We're also looking at possiibly seeing all 7 made into movies. The second movie has started production, and the third screenplay is being written. Fad? It's ALREADY lasted longer than you guys are saying in these posts...look before you leap/speak. [/B]
    7 movies. I hope he is smart enough to combine a couple (if they are in sequence) I don't think there has ever been a movie to maintain popularity through4 movies let alone 7.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard somewhere that Rowling was being sued by another author for stealing the Harry Potter idea. Maybe it's just heresay, but the other author had written a book with a similar title and story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went.
    I saw it.
    I loved it.

Harrry Potter rocks.

Can I change my vote?

I don't think I've seen any fantasy movie stay as close to the book as this one does. Of course there are things left out and some things changed, but man it's well done.

I was sitting in front of a group of kids who have memorized the book, and though they were critical of parts that were taken out, and of a couple of changes, they were so excited that they knew what was coming up next, it seemed to make up for it. The movie received a huge ovation at the end with plenty of very happy kids.

Can they continue to capture the audience with 7 movies? Absolutely possible. I'm glad they are filming Chamber of Secrets now, and hope that they continue to move the filming as fast as possible so they can keep the same cast. I wouldn't change a single cast member through all 7 movies if it's possible.

As for taking away the opportunity for imagination, the book was so close to how I saw it in my mind, I was more than ready to blend my vision in with the movie's view of the world. One of the little buggers behind me was announcing each room, where it was in the school, what that picture was on the wall, etc. He apparently saw the same thing that the Director saw as well. .

This one will be the most successful movie release in US history. Of that I have no doubt.

-t
    Last edited by thewitt; Nov 16, 2001 at 17:36.