SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What movie will be more successful?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Harry Potter

28 48.28%
  • Lord of the Rings

30 51.72%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps one of the first encounters with the Elves. I believe the leader of the band of Elves the encounter in Gilrond. He only gives Frodo some mysterious advice, and then they split up again. This is Sam's first encounter with Elves, so he is very thrilled about it. I don't think this adds much to the story, and could possibly be cut out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why can't it be a direct interpretation. There's nothing in there that couldn't be duplicated.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    Why can't it be a direct interpretation. There's nothing in there that couldn't be duplicated.
    It can be a direct interpretation, but I don't feel this adds much to the story. If I had to choose a part that I would take out of the story, that would be this one. Honestly, I don't want to take anything from the story. I like it as much as it is now, even if it would mean a 6 hour movie (I woud like that even more ).

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, LotR is going to be a 3 part trilogy, so it's very possible they keep everything. I think, after reading the books 4 times in my life, that every part of that story is important to the foundation of the whole story. There's foreshadowing and all built into the Elves encounter and it would be dangerous to remove it from the story. It really is kind of important. Part I is Fellowship of the Rings just like the book.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.. Okay, perhaps I should duck after asking this, but, who the heck is Harry Potter?

As for what I think will do better, I didn't vote since I don't know who Potter is. LOTR looked nice in the previews but they aim them so much at kids which IMO completely ruins the movie, kind of like what they did with Dungeons & Dragons. I'll go see it anyway, can't pass up the special effects, perhaps it'll be good but i'm guessing it's going to be ugly.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't know who Harry Potter is? It's the biggest Children's Book (Read:Adults read them too!) fad right now. Now they're making a movie about it. It's about a boy wizard, and if you go by the movie, the boy wizardis from England....hmmmm.
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harry Potter is from England...

The books are really well written. They read fast for most adults, but they are well written fantasy and worth reading if you have not already done so.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for Harry Poter, I think it's more popular than TLOR.

Marketing Guru ;) Johan Malmberg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote goes to lotr. Did you know that the lotr trillogy was the most popular book in the 1900-th century (after the bible)?

I have been waiting for lotr for over two years. And I am not a lotr super fan ( I have not even read the book yet )

I would not be surprised if lotr would become more popular than star wars. Fantasy is growing very very fast and this might be THE fantasy movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh! I missed this thread until now -- four pages in! I feel so deprived!!!

I love HARRY POTTER!!!
    I love Lord of the Rings!!!

I don't know which will do better over all -- it is really hard to say, in my opinion.

We have such a large following for both movies.

I do know, however, that come Friday I have tickets to Harry Potter! I'm so happy.

I'll have tickets for LotR opening day too I suspect.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sketch -- Harry Potter is from England in the books as well.

And, I believe the Harry Potter movie will follow more closely with the books than will the Lord of the Rings movie.

Taking out Tom Bombadillo and adding a character to the fellowship not from the book -- imagine....
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    ... adding a character to the fellowship not from the book -- imagine....
    Say what??!!??

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definately think LOTR is going to be much more popular than HP... Harry Potter is pretty much a fad. LOTR has been around for ever and has almost a cult following like D&D. I know I'll be watching it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read the two series, and IMO the HP books take lots of plot elements from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game". If you don't believe me, just read it. Aereal combat-like sports, kid destined to vanquish Mankind's most feared foe and all

I think that the winner in the long run will be the LotR because in ten year's time you'll still be able to read the LotR or the Silmarillion without feeling childish. There are learned folks around that compose original poetry in Quenya, for goodness' sake. And I really doubt JK Rowling can keep the interest in the HP books for the next 4: when we analize them, the first 1/3 of every book is awfully repetitive, and I have lost the count of times that a seemingly "good" character is revealed as evil or a seemingly "bad" guy is really a good one.

Besides, the LotR has three whole generations of fans, while most of the HP folks will eventually grow up and (hopefully) drift to more mature fantasy/ fiction. Remember that most of them are aged between 10 and 16 and basically don't know any better

And anyway, Raistlin Majere can take Voldemort and Harry together single-handedly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, use your heads! LOTR isn't going to take in more (in the US, that is) than Harry Potter. I think it'll be a better movie, but Best Picture is rarely the top grosser. Sure, LOTR has more die-hard fans...but that's not what matters. A lot of people will see the Potter movie without being die-hard fans. GROVES of people will think "Hey, now I can find out what the Harry Potter fuss is all about without having to read a book."

Movies don't count on die-hard fans as much as they count on casual interest...the masses, basically. LOTR will attract a lot of outsiders, so to speak...but not as many as Potter. LOTR, historically, is more popular...but it's not more popular RIGHT NOW...and RIGHT NOW is when the movies are being released.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - people groves . Can you get jaffa ....no, scratch that Q..
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not attacking anyone personally ::cough::beley::cough::, however, those of you saying Harry Potter is simply a fad ::cough::beley::cough::, have you even read the series? Sure, it may not be as in depth as Tolkien in some respects, but the series is absolutely fantastic nonetheless. I doubt the Harry Potter series will die out any time soon.

Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That depends on whether they just overkill it. I mean, seven books? I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the 'Wizard of Earthsea' stuff by Ursula LeGuin.
    But you are right, Aes, it is definitely not just a fad right now, and it does teach kids good stuff about friendship, loyalty and derring-do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah -- it is getting A LOT of publicity (e.g. action figures, clothing, and an infinite number of other things from people who just want to cash in on it), however, I feel confident enough in the books that the series will flourish up to and beyond the last word in the last book.

Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    I'm not attacking anyone personally ::cough::beley::cough::, however, those of you saying Harry Potter is simply a fad ::cough::beley::cough::, have you even read the series? Sure, it may not be as in depth as Tolkien in some respects, but the series is absolutely fantastic nonetheless. I doubt the Harry Potter series will die out any time soon.

I hope noone kills me for saying this, but I think good 'ol Harry will be similar to the 'pokemon' fad. Hugely popular for a good 6 months - year, but after that.. dunno

Depends on how many books are released...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense to you guys, but you might wanna do your homework. Potter's been wildly famous in the UK for years, in the US for, what, 2 years straight? In the UK's top children's book lists, he has all of the top five spots...and there are only FOUR books...one of the spots it occupied by some slightly modified special edition book.

You guys are smarter than this. Rowling has 4 books out, with 3 more coming. We're also looking at possiibly seeing all 7 made into movies. The second movie has started production, and the third screenplay is being written. Fad? It's ALREADY lasted longer than you guys are saying in these posts...look before you leap/speak.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw commercials for Coke and Legos featuring Harry Potter, the movie. Looks like shameless promotion will win out over storylines.

Great as LoR might be (in text), the movie might be horrible. Kids and parents will see Harry Potter regardless. Hardcore Fantasy fans that will see LoR are not the mainstream. IF LoR isn't as good as it looks, then it will bomb at the box office, where Harry Potter will succeed because its aimed at a more general audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me a break. Endorsements and tie-ins doesn't mean squat concerning the movie's quality. If that's the way you're gonna judge things, then apparently every Disney movie is crap...as is "Shrek." Do you really believe that?

Anyway, LOTR, I think, is easily cool enough to attract a mainstream audience. Plus, virtually everyone has a friend who loves the books, at the very least, who could convince them to go. It'll top $200 domestically (in the US). I'd be willing to bet on that.

People are MUCH more willing to sit through a movie than they are to read a book...I think a lot of people will use the movie as a quick way to become familiar with LOTR...ditto for Harry Potter.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned nothing about QUALITY. Quality doesn't equal popularity. Look at VHS vs BETA or Microsoft vs Apple. Its all in the marketing.

How many people go to movies that aren't good? The majority. A movie is something to do on a date or when you are bored. It's not like a major event. So to say that people won't see HP because its not quality is bogus.

Sure, I think LoR will be a BETTER movie, but more popular, no.

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOTR since Harry Potter is the worst thing to hit literature since.. uh... well, of all time. Words cannot express my contempt for that stupid book / series. DIE POTTER DIE!WEFSDKJFK SJDF LJ@!