SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What movie will be more successful?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Harry Potter

28 48.28%
  • Lord of the Rings

30 51.72%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man, i should be able to read it by then.. i hope. Just have to go out and get me a copy. Maybe i will stop and get one on my way to school tonight.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you have to read it, half the fun for me will be the excitement of seeing scenes that have been galloping around in my head for twenty years - I really hope we get to see believable elves. I can't wait to see Legolas in full fury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I saw the full trailer for the first time last night. I have to say that I'm impressed. It looks like it's going to be an amazing movie.

BUT, and you knew this was coming, WHY did the director feel the need to remove Glorfindel and in turn augment Arwen's character? In the trailer I saw the part where Arwen stands against the Wraiths at the Brandywine(?) River. That is supposed to be Glorfindel not some little slip of a girl that's only appears about 4 or 5 times in 3 books. How will Strider get the name Elessar without finding the Elfstone that Glorfindel leaves in the mud at the bridge?

pshaw...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said: after Potter, you have around a month (December 19th). EDIT: Whoops, missed the recent posts. FYI: you only need to read the first book to be ready for this movie. Well, a tiny bit of the second, too...but the movies and books are pretty parallel.

Andy: removing Glorfindel was a good move, IMO. It's got a ton of character as it is, and it would be confusing to have both Legolas and Glorfindel there. The Bakshi version of the 80s also had them run into Legolas, instead of Glorfindel, on their way to The Ford...I thought it was a great way to make the story more movie-like, while not really messing with Tolkien's basic story.

Arwen needs to be augmented, as well, I'm afraid. She makes sense as a more major character. So, they place up the romance, and play up her involvement in the story. I hate to defend it on two fronts, but I have to agree with PJ.

Oh...and I'm *thrilled* that they're skipping over Tom Bombadil. That dude never made any sense. He would look especially stupid in a movie. They're also ditching the songs (except maybe just one campire song, but nothing like we've seen from the older cartoons, which were borderline musicals)...another good call.
    Last edited by TWTCommish; Nov 5, 2001 at 13:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could care less about the music except where it directly applies to the story as when they use a song to illustrate a point.

I disagree about the romance. If Tolkien didn't feel the need to include a romance in his books then where the hell does PJ get off including it for him? WHen I say romance, I'm not talking about the fact the Aragorn and Arwen were going to get married, I'm talking about an active romance. It's not there in the book and shouldn't be in the movie just to boost sales.

I'm not saying that Glorfindel was an integral character BUT, why change the book at all? I can totally understand having to remove certain scenes, but there should NEVER be a time when this director CHANGES something in these books.

<righteous indignation>
    how dare he
    </righteous indignation>

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Polymath
    Yeah, you have to read it, half the fun for me will be the excitement of seeing scenes that have been galloping around in my head for twenty years - I really hope we get to see believable elves. I can't wait to see Legolas in full fury.
    Elves are forever the debate in movies. Some people like the japaname high elf look and some like the shorter elves. Believable is very personal and not everyone will always be happy.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you could always use Tolkiens description of elves, seeing as how his books set the stage for nearly every modern interpretation of what elves look like.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Oh...and I'm *thrilled* that they're skipping over Tom Bombadil. That dude never made any sense. He would look especially stupid in a movie. They're also ditching the songs (except maybe just one campire song, but nothing like we've seen from the older cartoons, which were borderline musicals)...another good call.
    The my question is: How will the Hobbits get their swords after being captures by spirits, and rescued by Tom Bombadil. Merry has one of these swords and attacks the Wraith Captain with it at the battle in Gondor, in which he defends the king of the Rohirrim. He wounds the Wraith with this sword. I am curious to see how they will solve that little part.

-Edit-

And I really dislike the fact that they are changing the storyline. Taking out the songs is something I can live with, but taking out certain characters is too much. I prefer the story as it is, and I expected the movie to be the same.
    Last edited by Mark T.; Nov 5, 2001 at 16:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, creole, Tolkien didn't include it in his BOOK. He didn't write a screenplay. For all we know, he would totally support the idea. I gotta go with PJ on this one. I don't think he did it just to boost sales...I think he did it to make the story more fun. Let's face it, LOTR is not at all the kind of book that can be simply switched straight to movie form...LOTS needs to be mixed around.

Never a time when they change something in the books? I can't agree. I think there should never be a time when something vital is changed. Changes are 100% unavoidable. Would you rather have some interesting, useful dialogue modified a bit to fit better in a movie, or cut entirely? I'll take the former in most cases.

Mark: I believe the movie will depict them as receiving their swords in The Prancing Pony...probably from Strider. I also don't see how you can advocate that NO characters are removed. A 300+ page book can squeeze in many more characters than a 2 and a half ti 3 hour movie can. Bombadil, no offense, is just plain dumb...and even if you like him, you have to acknowledge that he'll look incredibly odd and out of place on screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <keeping his nose out of this thread>

I can't wait to see where this discussion once you guys have actually seen the movie(s)!

</keeping his nose out of this thread>
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Mark: I believe the movie will depict them as receiving their swords in The Prancing Pony...probably from Strider. I also don't see how you can advocate that NO characters are removed. A 300+ page book can squeeze in many more characters than a 2 and a half ti 3 hour movie can. Bombadil, no offense, is just plain dumb...and even if you like him, you have to acknowledge that he'll look incredibly odd and out of place on screen.
    Seems like a reasonable explanation, or maybe they will receive them from Elrond, just before they take of for their journey.
    You are right that Tom Bombadil might be out of place, but just think of him as an important character in the story. It is not hard to alter the story and filter out Bombadil and Glorfindel, and perhaps it is the right choice for a movie. But I would have loved to see Glordinfel race with the Wraiths, in stead of Arwen.
    Creole, about the elvenstone to which Aragorn will be named. I think Arwen drops it now, so that he will still be called Elessar.

Matt, you don't want to see this discussion after we have seen the movie, honestly .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elrond? Hmmm...I don't think that would work. Don't they need their weapons for the battle on Weathertop? I forget whether or not they use them there...but I do know that the movie depicts them as fighting with them there.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right about that. This makes me even more curious. Maybe your scenario, Strider in the Prancing Pony, is the best option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But why would Strider, a stranger, give them swords, and why would they accept them from him. All of the hobbits were very distrustful of Strider at first, especially Sam.

Chris, I'm not saying that dialog could not be rearranged, but that's not what PJ did. He CHANGED characters. That's something completely different.

Maybe they get their swords from Gandalf before they leave the Shire?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, don't forget, Andy: they come to trust Strider before they leave The Prancing Pony, don't they? By means of Gandalf's letter and all that, I think. "While I look foul and feel fair, is that it?"

Yeah, I see the different there, Andy...but it just doesn't bother me. I dunno what to say other than I don't think the LOTR books can be moved straight to cinematic form. They're just too long and involved, in a way that only a book can be. A movie has to cut down on some of the characters...and Glorfindel is probably the best to downsize.

I'm not trying to challenge you, but what would you (and any other Tolkien fan here, for that matter) do to the books to convert them to the silver screen? What would you change/dump/etc?

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Lord of the Rings is already starting to be promoted in bookstores. I've been to a few lately and they all have big Lord of the Rings set ups in the front of their store with the original books, books w/ screenshots of the movie for pictures, and all kinds of stuff.
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without a doubt, Harry Potter. If I could pick, I'd choose LotR. But I think HP will do better. LotR is a classic and will draw from the teens and adults alike. HP will have the added bonus of drawing from the kids crowd and many parents will want to accompany their kids. Also, many parents will PREview the movie for their kids. I hope LotR does better, but I know HP will.

sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    Maybe they get their swords from Gandalf before they leave the Shire?
    Seems hard to believe as well. Gandalf has insured Frodo many times that his journey to Rivendell will be a peaceful one, and that he will be there to protect them. At the moment of their departure, Gandalf was captured by Saruman, and later on saved by the Lord of the Winds. So therefore, he could not have given him the swords. If he would have, he should have done so at an earlier stage, but I am fairly certain his last travel kept him away from Frodo for nine years, and handing out the swords nine years earlier seems a bit unlogical to me.

Maybe they do travel through the ancient woods where Tom lives in the book, and the do go to the hill where they found their swords in the book, but Tom just isn't involved in the story. Frodo could have rescued them for example, since he is the one calling for Tom Bombadil using the song he taught them. He was not captured and maybe he know finds a way to rescue his friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i finnally got the book, and i am reading it.. might take me awhile to finish, because of school and all. but i should get the first one done in plenty of time to see the movie, i hope so anyway. Then maybe i will know what in the heck you guys are talking about.. haha.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you've read it you will have fallen in love with the book, believe me .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, Glorfindel is a bad mother, an elf Lord, and that means he is one tough hombre. The whole point about the scene by the river when he attacks the wraiths is that he scares the poo out of them - one of the best scenes in the book. I wanted that scene to stay the same, not have some character arbitrarily made the love interest and pitch them in instead.
    But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt til I see the film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeppers...

The steeds of the wraiths were terrified of an Elf-Lord in all his glory. I believe that Frodo remembers an extremely bright light which was Glorfindel. I wonder if they'll even bother to keep the part where the river itself crashes down on the Riders?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that part should be great once performed right. Gandalf creating great White Riders in mountains of water, and then the water crashing down on the Wraiths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no way they'll pass up the chance to have white-water horses in all their CGI glory. Not a chance. Anyway, I still stand by the decision. Seriously though, guys: what would you change about the movie, seeing as how it cannot be a direct, flawless representation of the book? What would you sacrifice?