SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What movie will be more successful?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Harry Potter

28 48.28%
  • Lord of the Rings

30 51.72%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole

Man are you Naive Adam...
    thanks...
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh come on Adam..I was just giving you a little lovin'
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya Frodo isn't young, just short with hairy toes, like all good Hobbits.

Anyways Tolkein basically invented the modern fantasy Genre. Harry Potter wouldn't exist if Tolkein never wrote.

I see it like this:

Kids will mostly go see Harry Potter, which is one movie, this year.

Kids and Adults will go see The Fellowship of the Ring, which is one movie, this year, and next year they'll see The Two Towers, and then the next year they'll see The Return of the King.

Remember its a trilogy.

So LotR is 3 movies, Harry Potter is 1. LotR well be seen by adults and kids, Harry Potter mostly kids.

Also I'm sure that LotR will enjoy the same success as Star Wars. Decades from now it will still be popular.

Of course this all hinges on the movies themselves. There have been plenty of good books that were turned into bad movies.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also one is based around an Epic Struggle... the other one is based around the adventures of a kid who's biggest worry is "The Black Forest"

Kinda sounds like "The Elephants Graveyard" in Lion King.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would hope lord of the rings due to the excellence of the writing. The history of this series is incredible and tolkien has many many adult fans HOWEVER I think Harry Potter has too many kids that love him and it will be popular amongst the little ones who haven't been exposed to a great author. In the long run tolkien will win out.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man are you Naive Adam...

While I love both series, there's a reason why Lord of the Rings has been around since the 50's. Because it's a masterpiece of literature.

Harry Potter books are good too but they'll never have the scope and depth of the LoTR books.
    In the fantasy genre there are few (if any) who can define the scope the tolkien did (Jordan is the only one that comes to mind). And tolkiens stories have been around even longer than that if I remember correctly. He truly is the father of modern mythology. Just read the original d&d modules and you will see tolkien throughout the whole layout.
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jordan doesn't define anything. He just mixes and matches different cultures and different time periods from around the world. When reading the Wheel of Time every time he would introduce a new group of people I'd like something like "Oh look its the Japanese in Victorian England" because thats all he does.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm not too familiar with LotR but I know that it was very popular with the kids at my school when I was about 12 so I just assumed, given that the movie trailer stars a child, that a child was the star of the books also.

Originally posted by weirdbeardmt

I think maybe he {MMJ) was thinking about "Lord of the flies" ??
    nope, I'd never confuse them
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer doesn't star a kid, it stars Elijah Wood, who is in his 20's.

They used special effects to make him shorter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. He looks about 15!
    Last edited by mmj; Nov 3, 2001 at 09:30.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh come on Adam..I was just giving you a little lovin'
    haha, I know
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you read the same LoTR books that I did?

Frodo was 33 when he started the adventure in Fellowship of the Rings, the same age that Bilbo was in the Hobbit. Don't you remember the party under the tree? They were celebrating both Bilbo and Frodo's birthdays and together they totalled one Gross (144). Bilbo's age was 111 or "eleventy-one".

As for the box office...well, I think that Harry Potter will likely do better than LoTR but only because of the reasons mentioned above. It's extremely popular right now whereas LoTR is a more enduring book.

I personally will be waiting for tickets for BOTH movies. I've been waiting for this LoTR movie since I was 8.
    Just to add one small thing (a huge LoTR fan here ), Frodo was in his fifties when he started his journey to Rivendell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Harry Potter movies will do well, however so will the Lord of the Rings movies, and their staying power will result in greater success overall.

If you count the total box office for all the Harry Potter movies however, they might win over all the Lord of the Rings movies, in that there will be more than 3 movies in the Harry Potter series before it's all said and done. No one will write a fourth Lord of the Rings book any longer.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    Jordan doesn't define anything. He just mixes and matches different cultures and different time periods from around the world. When reading the Wheel of Time every time he would introduce a new group of people I'd like something like "Oh look its the Japanese in Victorian England" because thats all he does.
    It may be all he does but his character development is unreal. And that is one of the most important parts of authoring fantasy. Almost every fantasy write todays takes from reality and other fantasies however Jordan creates true personality with the characters.

While I like Jordan I also hate his timeline of writing. He produces books too slow. Which wouldn't be a bad thing if they weren't all required to complete a storey. I read 7 of them before I realized he isn't even done yet and moved on. I will wait for the decade he finally finishes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say Harry Porter!
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Mark T.
    Just to add one small thing (a huge LoTR fan here ), Frodo was in his fifties when he started his journey to Rivendell.
    Ummm...no.

As I mentioned earlier, Frodo turned 33 the day Bilbo left for Rivendell. It was less than a year afterwards that Frodo then started off for Rivendell.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then the Dutch translation must be really wacky, since it clearly states there that Frodo was getting older, and when he was in his fifties he started getting restless and started taking longer walks and did not come home for days.
    Also, it is stated that Gandalf sometimes stays away for a few years and then returns again. In the end, he returns after not have been around for nine years.

Therefor, in the Dutch version at least, he starts travelling at his fifties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean at the beginning or the end of the books?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the beginning. After Bilbo leaves and Frodo inherits the Ring, Gandalf goes out to find out more about the power of the Ring. In the version I have read, Gandalf and Frodo sometimes don't speak for years. In that period of time, Gandalf is captures by Saruman and tracks down Gollum.

Frodo doesn't leave the Shire until he is fifty or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, unless there's 17 years in there somewhere then your translation is incorrect. Bilbo leaves the day of he and Frodo's birthday party. That was the day the Frodo turned 33. There was a period of some years in there but not 17 of them.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then there must be something wrong with the translation then. I will get that book from the library somewhere this week, because this has been bugging me all day. I am 100% certain of myself that the translation states that Frodo is about fifty years old when he starts travelling.

Anyway, back to the topic, the movie will be fabulous. Alhtough I think it is ashame that Glorfindel is replaced and Tom Bombadillo is not even included.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's right...isn't the exact line "17 years passed sleepily in The Shire"? I could be wrong. Doesn't matter, though. A few points:

1) LOTR is a million times more popular than Harry Potter, if you take into account more than, oh, the last 5 years.

2) Harry Potter is not really one film, Chris. There are 4 books, with 7 on the way. I think the real question is just about the first movie for each, really.

3) Harry Potter will pull in more...no doubt. LOTR is a much more niche-like audience. Mark my words: Potter tops $300 million in the U.S., thereby passing Shrek and becoming the top grosser of 2001. LOTR finishes somewhere around $220-250 million, thereby taking third place in a year loaded with blockbusters. I'll look like an idiot if I'm wrong...but hey, no guts, no glory.

LOTR is just too complicated for some people. I've talked to a few people about this, and the general attitude has them simply keeping away from the ENTIRE thing.

Don't forget: yes, LOTR is more popular overall, but honestly, Potter is more popular NOW, at this very moment...and these movies are not being released any time other than now. I think LOTR will be a more breathtaking picture...and I think that it'll win a few Oscars (Best Picture nomination, perhaps? No victory, naturally, but a nomination might be in order...we shall see)...but I don't think it'll break any B.O. records, or even beat Shrek. Just too specialized. As it is, I only think it'll break $200 because P.J. seems to have done a decent job of making it appeal to people who are not already Tolkien-freaks.

That said, I think I'm coming from a very unbiased, objective viewpoint. Heading into 2001, I had not read the first LOTR book, or any Harry Potter books. I'd seen the old 1980s LOTR cartoon, and read most of The Hobbitt, but that was it. I read the first two LOTR books and all 4 Harry Potter books this year almost SPECIFICALLY because I knew I'd enjoy the movies more...and now those two movies are my reason for living.

I encourage all of you who have not read the first Potter book to do so quickly. You have until the 16th, and it's only 250 pages. A light read. When you're done with that, hurry up...because you'll only have a month to read the first LOTR book, "The Fellowship of the Ring." Trust me when I say your interest and enjoyment will skyrocket if you do this...it's well worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Bless my Soul...

The line goes like this:

"...but it was not until Frodo began approaching the usually more sober age of fifty that they began to think it queer."

My apologies, when you read the books so many times, I guess that you gloss over some things.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Bless my Soul...

The line goes like this:

"...but it was not until Frodo began approaching the usually more sober age of fifty that they began to think it queer."

My apologies, when you read the books so many times, I guess that you gloss over some things.
    Doesn't matter, this is one of the only things I could recall from the top of my head. I read the book last summer holiday, because we had to make a bookreport about a literature book.

You can also remember this at another way, at least I think. I am not quite certain about this one, but I believe Bilbo and Fordo were both 50 or 55 when they started their journey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anyone know the release date of LOTR in the U.S. i need to know whether or not i have time to read the first book before the movie comes out. I meant to read it awhile ago, but for some reason or another it kept getting put off.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.